Women and the Quad | Page 62 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
"quad quads" omg I love it! And yay she did it!!!! Even with the slight landing error, that 4S was insane, and I'm so glad its back! And a backloaded quad! Too bad its not an official ISU competition or she could've gotten more official records. But I'm sure she'll go for it soon!

Edwin used it first! ^_^

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
We'll have to see, but she's done what no other has done before. What about Paula Radcliffe?
The main problem injury to due to the wear and tear of competition and training all the way up to the Olympics.
With how much PCS Alina was able to get, Sasha needs all the tech she can get.

I liked Paula Radcliffe in London Olympics. She was always so talkative and didn't spare herself in criticism, which is good for a sports person. Always look at yourself first, try to analyse your errors and learn from them.

Aleksandra is quite talkative too, she knows her skills arsenal is superior, but never brags about it, always points out her errors and her desire to improve and be better still.

Now, will Aleksandra try to set a new WR with quad quads in her GP event? She probably wants to, but does #TeamTutberidzeForProgress want to take this risk?

For me personally, I'd rather see her skate a three quads routine clean with good PCS than a rushed routine with four and suffering in PCS. But who knows how a quad or two might be added in without disrupting the flow of the routine and giving Aleksandra enough time to recuperate a little for concentration on delivering this clean skating that is sort of required of seniors?

Reddi

Rinkside
Yuzu and Nathan have both landed all quads (minus axel) in competition and have done programs with 3-4-5 quads
No 4F from Yuzu so far. Can't remember if he ever tried 5-quads layout... but anyway:

And let’s keep it real: those quads will start getting carrots. I can just imagine the points she’ll get on her 4Lz if she were to skate directly after Boyang Jin.
The technical panel ain’t blind.
Huh, I always thought that the key to "keeping it real" is to watch the actual skates. None of Sasha's quads today was worth getting a carrot by any standards. Same with Kamila's quads. Maybe you should watch closer rather than boldly declare: "It's all junk for the next five years, guys, let me tell you!"

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Yeah, Sasha can’t quite compete with the top men’s yet but she can sure threaten them with her every step. And on the topic of Sasha getting carrots if she was in men’s FS - as cell mentioned before, Zhou’s 4Lz is pretty bad too (honestly worse I would say since he almost always urs it too) and Uno doesn’t have the most rotated quads ever and yet - he hasn’t received many carrots. If the tech panel downgraded Sasha’s 4T or 4S that would just be wrong, and if she rotates it (which she did at JO) she shouldn’t get UR calls either. The 4Lz is a different topic. Let’s not compare Sasha, who’s fifteen and just starting to get the hang of 4Lz to Boyang Jin, who’s 4Lz is the best in men’s (only Kolyada’s can even compete).

lzxnl

Final Flight
Yeah, Sasha can’t quite compete with the top men’s yet but she can sure threaten them with her every step. And on the topic of Sasha getting carrots if she was in men’s FS - as cell mentioned before, Zhou’s 4Lz is pretty bad too (honestly worse I would say since he almost always urs it too) and Uno doesn’t have the most rotated quads ever and yet - he hasn’t received many carrots. If the tech panel downgraded Sasha’s 4T or 4S that would just be wrong, and if she rotates it (which she did at JO) she shouldn’t get UR calls either. The 4Lz is a different topic. Let’s not compare Sasha, who’s fifteen and just starting to get the hang of 4Lz to Boyang Jin, who’s 4Lz is the best in men’s (only Kolyada’s can even compete).

I'm not saying let's unfairly give Sasha carrots only when comparing her to men, or judge her jumps harshly. I'm saying give everyone carrots. Call URs for Yuzu if they're there (emphasis on if). Similarly, please deduct GOE for Shoma's really ugly 4F takeoff, take note of each of Vincent's URs, take note of each of Rika, or Alina, or Sasha's URs, and deduct everything. This way, higher scores would have deserved them. I'd much rather see everyone be consistently harshly penalised than what we have now. Sasha's quads looked fine to me, although I think her 4T-3T should have had lower GOE for that really hunched forwards landing on the 4T. Everything else was probably quite fair.

readernick

Medalist
With Sasha you can't be sure in anything :confused2: I mean - other skaters spend years to add another quad - she did it in a mere weeks :biggrin:

She is crazy in the best, most competitive way. However, I hope she doesn 't add more quads. With increased number comes decreased quality. I really liked her quads in her first competition. They were well executed. Nice landings ( not like last year) However, I did not like her quads at JO. I like beautiful jumps and her jumps were not beautiful at JO. I don't watch Trusova for her artistic side. I watch her for jumps. I want to see beautiful jumps. But, I can't imagine Trusova cares what I want. She will probably do 5 quads next time. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Happy Skates

Final Flight
She is crazy in the best, most competitive way. However, I hope she doesn 't add more quads. With increased number comes decreased quality. I really liked her quads in her first competition. They were well executed. Nice landings ( not like last year) However, I did not like her quads at JO. I like beautiful jumps and her jumps were not beautiful at JO. I don't watch Trusova for her artistic side. I watch her for jumps. I want to see beautiful jumps. But, I can't imagine Trusova cares what I want. She will probably do 5 quads next time. ����������

I'm not sure that they'll keep the four quad layout. JO was a very low pressure, fun event, with not much at stake except prize money (which of course is still important). At the GP however, a trip to the GPF will be at stake. At Skate Canada, skating clean will be especially important because the field is so deep. She could do something where she just goes for three quads, and then adds the fourth if the first three are clean. Or she could just go for the "safe" three quad layout. However, I don't think having 4 quads was the reason for the slight landing errors on her quads that made some of them less beautiful this time. It was just the fact that they are quads, and its difficult to land them perfectly every time. Even landing four at this competition and three at the last at all is amazing. Either way, I think the "safest" layout for her will be a quad lutz and two quad toe-loops. I love the 4S, and maybe it could be subbed in for the 4Lz depending on its consistency in practice, but she did do it first at JO, suggesting it might be her most difficult quad right now. And her quad toe-loop is definitely the most consistent so far, so doing two makes sense.

colormyworld240

Medalist
She is crazy in the best, most competitive way. However, I hope she doesn 't add more quads. With increased number comes decreased quality. I really liked her quads in her first competition. They were well executed. Nice landings ( not like last year) However, I did not like her quads at JO. I like beautiful jumps and her jumps were not beautiful at JO. I don't watch Trusova for her artistic side. I watch her for jumps. I want to see beautiful jumps. But, I can't imagine Trusova cares what I want. She will probably do 5 quads next time. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The landings weren't pretty. But I think Sasha's prettiest quad is her 4S, which she didn't do at Nepala. Her 4T is the most impressive for its explosiveness but the 4S looks much more effortless. I think her 4Lz is the least impressive, it's her smallest quad and though she landed it the best here, it doesn't have the height and distance of her 4T to the ease of the 4S.

readernick

Medalist
The landings weren't pretty. But I think Sasha's prettiest quad is her 4S, which she didn't do at Nepala. Her 4T is the most impressive for its explosiveness but the 4S looks much more effortless. I think her 4Lz is the least impressive, it's her smallest quad and though she landed it the best here, it doesn't have the height and distance of her 4T to the ease of the 4S.

I agree. So, can Trusova just jump 4T and 4S? No, 4LZ? That would be the best layout. ( again, this is just my opinion....I am sure Trusova doesn't care about my opinion)

colormyworld240

Medalist
I agree. So, can Trusova just jump 4T and 4S? No, 4LZ? That would be the best layout. ( again, this is just my opinion....I am sure Trusova doesn't care about my opinion)

It's not worth it if you look at the scoring. A 4Lz with lower GOE is still worth more than a pretty good 4S. So I think it's smarter to have the 4Lz as it does look consistent. If gives her some leeway if she has a bad landing or a step out, where as to get the same points with a 4S it'd have to be very well done. And I think she gets better rotation on the Lz. Of course she doesn't really need leeway as she's only competing against herself (at least in the free), but it's the smarter choice to have 4Lz as it's much more difficult to guarantee a perfect 4S. She has to keep 4T as it's the most stable and she intends to repeat it, so there's not really room for error for the risk of +REP.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I watched JO, and was pretty impressed by Trusova's skate. Personally, I like a more rounded skate more - yeah, old fashioned - by a Woman, not a little girl. Who is,as Jackie Wong tweeted: holy moly. She's one of the best at jumping, whatever anybody says about cleanliness, UR's and so forth. It's great to watch...except for me it's not a mature routine. In fact, I much more enjoyed Satoko who was underscored PCS wise, but managed to move me with her beautiful interpretation. Whenever I see skates like these I am starting to believe more in the notion of an artistic skate and a technical (read: jumps) skate instead of a Short and a Free programme. I tended to be against that kind of thing because such an artistic programme might be a problem in an Olympic sport. And, of course, in the men's skaters like Yuzu, Javi and even Nathan have upheld a certain level of artistic excellence. Not to take anything away from this lovely girl - all comments about bad landings, uncalled URs and such I take with a pinch of salt because no lady has done before what she does, although Alysa comes close and with a 3A too (but very much a junior and - yes - definitely a little girl).

I don't intend to discuss minimum ages for the senior level and so on, but Trusova definitely is a girl, not a woman. A lovely girl - I just adore her love for her dog - and a good, if not excellent - jumper. And I realise Alina cannot match that. Rika might but not yet. I like it that Figure Skating is evolving towards a bit more athleticism and that the ladies are finally following suit with the quad revolution. Just hoping it will still continue to be figure skating, not jump skating. By the way, I do think if Trusova can maintain the jump level while evolving into a more allround skater when she matures, she could be the Madori Ito of the current age. And that's really meant as a compliment. May she continue for a long, long time.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I watched JO, and was pretty impressed by Trusova's skate. Personally, I like a more rounded skate more - yeah, old fashioned - by a Woman, not a little girl. Who is,as Jackie Wong tweeted: holy moly. She's one of the best at jumping, whatever anybody says about cleanliness, UR's and so forth. It's great to watch...except for me it's not a mature routine. In fact, I much more enjoyed Satoko who was underscored PCS wise, but managed to move me with her beautiful interpretation. Whenever I see skates like these I am starting to believe more in the notion of an artistic skate and a technical (read: jumps) skate instead of a Short and a Free programme. I tended to be against that kind of thing because such an artistic programme might be a problem in an Olympic sport. And, of course, in the men's skaters like Yuzu, Javi and even Nathan have upheld a certain level of artistic excellence. Not to take anything away from this lovely girl - all comments about bad landings, uncalled URs and such I take with a pinch of salt because no lady has done before what she does, although Alysa comes close and with a 3A too (but very much a junior and - yes - definitely a little girl).

I don't intend to discuss minimum ages for the senior level and so on, but Trusova definitely is a girl, not a woman. A lovely girl - I just adore her love for her dog - and a good, if not excellent - jumper. And I realise Alina cannot match that. Rika might but not yet. I like it that Figure Skating is evolving towards a bit more athleticism and that the ladies are finally following suit with the quad revolution. Just hoping it will still continue to be figure skating, not jump skating. By the way, I do think if Trusova can maintain the jump level while evolving into a more allround skater whn she matures, she could be the Madori Ito of the current age. And that's really meant as a compliment. May she continue for a long, long time.

I don't think it's the direction FS is going in, FS values both artistry and technique. If you look at PCS, Alina outscored Sasha by over 10 points. It's just Sasha is making up for that with 4 quads. Not 1 or 2, but 4. That's something incredible and no other lady is able to do that. She should be rewarded for it accordingly. That's her strength and she's maximizing it. Even if she never improves anything else and does a full program of quads, she should be rewarded for her technicality as others are rewarded for their artistry. Everything else is just preference, but that has no play into whether anyone is deserving. It'd be a difference conversation is the more artistic skaters were able to do a couple quads as well.

moriel

Record Breaker
I liked Paula Radcliffe in London Olympics. She was always so talkative and didn't spare herself in criticism, which is good for a sports person. Always look at yourself first, try to analyse your errors and learn from them.

Aleksandra is quite talkative too, she knows her skills arsenal is superior, but never brags about it, always points out her errors and her desire to improve and be better still.

Now, will Aleksandra try to set a new WR with quad quads in her GP event? She probably wants to, but does #TeamTutberidzeForProgress want to take this risk?

For me personally, I'd rather see her skate a three quads routine clean with good PCS than a rushed routine with four and suffering in PCS. But who knows how a quad or two might be added in without disrupting the flow of the routine and giving Aleksandra enough time to recuperate a little for concentration on delivering this clean skating that is sort of required of seniors?

Keep in mind that we are talking about the girl who said once "if everybody starts jumping quads, I will jump quints".
Take no mistake, Sasha loves jumping. Also, Im pretty sure that her team is fully aware that she will grow, puberty and all that, and things will be harder. I really don't think they will try holding her back now that she wants and can.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Keep in mind that we are talking about the girl who said once "if everybody starts jumping quads, I will jump quints".
Take no mistake, Sasha loves jumping. Also, Im pretty sure that her team is fully aware that she will grow, puberty and all that, and things will be harder. I really don't think they will try holding her back now that she wants and can.

[emoji23] best quote. This is a champion’s mentality, always pushing the envelope further. She’s really fearless.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Judging by Japan Open protocols Sasha's jumps were worse than Miyahara's and on par with Nagasu jumps. It's definitely.. an enlightment :shocked: I've never noticed it until judges pointed out it to me. Thanks, judges! :yes:
And it appears she degraded in her abilities to do all technical elements after two weeks too https://i.ibb.co/GWRtqx8/1570314404589.jpg
Is she injured, I wonder? What a pity :disapp:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Judging by Japan Open protocols Sasha's jumps were worse than Miyahara's and on par with Nagasu jumps. It's definitely.. an enlightment :shocked: I've never noticed it until judges pointed out it to me. Thanks, judges! :yes:
And it appears she degraded in her abilities to do all technical elements after two weeks too https://i.ibb.co/GWRtqx8/1570314404589.jpg

Miyahara must have had cleaner qua...

oh wait, she barely manages triples.

The protocols really show how ridiculous the judging was. Thank god this was more of a just for fun competition and not an important and prestigious one, like Worlds.
Had there been an SP, Alina would have finished first thanks to her sky high PCS and Sasha being lowballed in just about every way.

Trusova crushed the opposition. Her performance raised the possibility that she will never lose a contest as a senior competitor. All these conspiracy theories about ISU boogeymen hiding in the bushes just waiting to jump out at her and trip her up ... Naw, just be happy for her.

Alexandra has essentially created a new women's sport. The old one will never be the same. Her GOEs and PCSs will rise automatically like levened bread without her doing anything at all. I for one intend just to relax and enjoy the ride.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Trusova crushed the opposition. Her performance raised the possibility that she will never lose a contest as a senior competitor. All these conspiracy theories about ISU boogeymen hiding in the bushes just waiting to jump out at her and trip her up ... Naw, just be happy for her.

Alexandra has essentially created a new women's sport. The old one will never be the same. Her GOEs and PCSs will rise automatically like levened bread without her doing anything at all. I for one intend just to relax and enjoy the ride.

I'd hardly call being only 6 points ahead of Alina "crushing the competition"
Alina who has no quads but very high GOE and PCS, deserved or not.
In most competitions Alina would possibly win overall because (unless Trusova adds a 3A) of a major PCS advantage in the SP.
You honestly don't think there's something a bit odd about her jumps being given similar GOE to Miyahara and Nagasu?

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
For anyone who says Sasha was blatantly overscored (which isn’t a whole lot of people on Holden Skate but in general the crowd is quite a big one) - does Sasha jump worse than Satoko? Does she PR 190 degrees on her jumps and still get no height and barely a manage a fully rotated triple? Sure is PCS Satoko reigns dominant, but in GOEs... Sasha should’ve gotten much higher GOEs. Sure some landings were shaky, but the height? The tight body position? How effortless her 4Lz and 3Lz was.. that wasn't rewarded and that’s unfair.