Women and the Quad | Page 73 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

colormyworld240

Medalist
I'm not in favour of the Ladies doing the quad, especially not if they're are sacrificing artistry. Tracy Wilson said there's already discussions about how the quad could impact artistry in the Women's Discipline just as it did in the men's.

I don't think it will. There will always be skaters that are more jumpers and less artists than others, but there are also skaters who are both. Like with the men when Yuzuru was jumping multiple quads and was winning against Patrick, this discussion came up. And Yuzuru kept improving his artistry to where he is today, and now he is both an incredible quad jumper and artist. Then the same discussion came up with Nathan came with all his quads. But his artistry has improved over time as well, while jumping quads.

Of course there were men that could jump but were never strong artistically, and this is the case with ladies as well. And this is true with not only quads, but also triples and doubles - some people are better jumpers than artists, but that doesn't mean there aren't skaters that can't do both. The current ladies who jump quads are 15 and younger. Look at the male counterparts - Yuzuru and Nathan, and compare their artistry today with how they were at 15, there is a huge improvement. There's no reason to suspect that the ladies won't improve as well.

Arbitrary

Medalist
shame to pairs, this was like the best SBS jump of the event

Pairs can do pairs, can do some not so basic acrobatics.

I don't see Hanyu lifting Trusova on one hand, less throwing a tripple/quad twist.
The possibility to crash from 2.5m height head first makes Pairs the most dangerous FS discipline. I don't remember a single skater falling coma except ladies of Pairs. There the coma considered a "serious trauma".

colormyworld240

Medalist
A little off topic, but doesn't anyone think it's incredibly dangerous and strange that competitive figure skaters don't wear helmets? When children learn to skate, they wear helmets, then at some point when they reach a certain level, helmets come off.

When children learn to ride bikes, they're wearing helmets. Adults who ride bikes are still legally required to wear a helmet (in my country, at least).

Who decided skaters were exempt from head injury and brain damage? It's very strange to me.

Arbitrary

Medalist
A little off topic, but doesn't anyone think it's incredibly dangerous and strange that competitive figure skaters don't wear helmets? When children learn to skate, they wear helmets, then at some point when they reach a certain level, helmets come off.

When children learn to ride bikes, they're wearing helmets. Adults who ride bikes are still legally required to wear a helmet (in my country, at least).

Who decided skaters were exempt from head injury and brain damage? It's very strange to me.

Head injures are rare except in pairs. I remember three female skaters (Kazakova, Bereznaya, Totmyanina) who either crashed head first or took a blade into the head. No one openly discussed a brain injury but one of them recently had to deal with a high grade decease, not related to her head/neck issue.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Skaters may wear protective gear in practice. Don't know about light yet safe enough helmets. Ice-hockey or Short-track aren't suitable likely...

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Concussions are really common, but helmets won’t help with that. The kind of things they’d prevent are very rare in Pairs, and extremely rare in other disciplines. ETA: I should say, helmets won’t help with what seem to the most common causes of concussions in figure skating, specifically.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

katymay

Medalist
This indigo girl from the Russian North from the shores of the White Sea with a fantastic flexibility and amazing spins just won my heart!.. And now she learned two different quads in her 11 years, - incredible and stunning kid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRYYXde5aY&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0nR-dxhiM

Her mother is a former skater and her initial coach, I think she has been on the ice since she learned to walk. She has a sister who is also very talented. (Aloyna is her name I think) I think she will compete in a few weeks in 'older age' novice.

Amei

Record Breaker

Paul Binnebose who sustained a life-altering head injury during a practice, he starts speaking at 1:44

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I don’t know if this was discussed .. Question: Girls juniors are prohibited from 3A in the short, but as it turned out 3A in the cascade it is possible that Alisa L. is there Is there an indication in the rules that the quad in the short program is forbidden for women in any form?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes the quad in the short program is an illegal element. If any lady did it it would be worth zero points.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The requirement in the SP is a triple jump in combination, so a 3a is allowed. Until it is specified that a quad is allowed, it is considered an illegal move.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
The requirement in the SP is a triple jump in combination, so a 3a is allowed. Until it is specified that a quad is allowed, it is considered an illegal move.

I mean: if she could (theoretically) try 3-4 combo? Would it still be illegal?