Women and the Quad | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Arbitrary

Medalist
AFAIU no quads allowed regardless of the placement. Solo, 1st in combo, 2nd in combo. Period.
And no skater can repeat a jump in SP except in 3-3 combo. So theoretically 3Ax+combo possible, but a sole axel is required. Doing 2Ax/3F//3Ax3Lo brings lower BV vs 3Ax/3F//3Lz3Lo.

P.S. Maximum SP BV for ladies is therefore 3A/3Lo//3Lz(D)3F but swapping loop and flip gives a petite BV improvement yet likely lower GOE because the very awkward lutz of Dmitriev.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I mean: if she could (theoretically) try 3-4 combo? Would it still be illegal?

Junior girls aren’t specifically prohibited from doing a 3A: it’s just they have to jump a solo 2A and a rotating Lz/F/Lo, so the only place left to put it is in the combination where it gets treated as any other triple jump. (In seniors where there are no such restrictions, it’s theoretically allowed to have 2A and 3A as the “solo axel”and “solo triple” jumps, respectively; or else 3A in the combination and a solo 2A [this has been done back before the “axel” requirement was allowed to be met by 3A]; it’s just that it would be a huge waste of points.)

The senior SP combination has to include a triple and a double (the order doesn’t matter), or a triple and another triple. If a woman did a 3+4 it would be invalid same as a 4+3. The quad would be voided entirely in base value and she’d get mandatory -5 GOE.

Edit: arbitrary beat me to it.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I mean: if she could (theoretically) try 3-4 combo? Would it still be illegal?

The rules specify that a Senior Ladies Short Program must include:

a) Double or Triple Axel
b) Triple Jump
c) Jump Combination: Double+Triple, Triple+Double, Triple+Triple Jumps​

For comparison, Junior Ladies:

a) Double Axel
b) Double or Triple (Required Jump of the Year)
c) Jump Combination: Double+Double, Double+Triple, Triple+Double, Triple+Triple Jumps​

Therefore, quad jumps are not allowed in any ladies short program. Junior ladies can include a triple axel by making it part of the triple+triple jump combination. Senior ladies can do a triple axel for the axel requirement, so it is not beneficial to do the triple axel in the triple+triple jump combination.

Worth noting also that they specifically prohibit you from repeating a triple axel (you cannot perform it as your axel requirement, and also perform it as your triple or triple+triple requirement). You can only repeat a triple if it is in the same triple+triple combination (i.e. 3T+3T).

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
At this point it's almost easier to to count those of Eteri's skaters who don't jump quads, than to count those who do. [emoji23]
[emoji23][emoji23] True

Also, your avatar is a gift for this forum [emoji23]

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
They say Rusnats is a bloodbath. But it looks like they will get serious competition from the GPF. The GPF freeskate will be a hailstorm of trixels and quads like never before, too bad Tursynbaeva won't be there ... :eek:hwell:

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Could you write the number of quads per skater?

First number is a number of quad attempts(4X in score sheets), second one is a number of clean(av.GOE>=0) elements.

Quad Queen 43(26)
Shcherbakova 18(7)
Akatieva 5(1)
Tursynbaeva 3(1)
Valieva 3(2)
Berestovskaya 2(0)
Liu 2(2)
Tarakanova 1(0)
Zhilina V. 1(0)

Total 78(39)

Type:

Lutz 33(17)
Toeloop 31(18)
Salchow 14(4)

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
But why the SP 3Lo?

Yes, I was wondering that, too. Perhaps they just didn't update the planned content form? Her lutz is so much better than her 3Lo.. it gives her higher base value and she gets better GOE on it ..... interesting conundrum