Women and the Quad | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

lzxnl

Final Flight
Rika mentioned that she would have to stop training in order to heal her injury :/ so maybe we won't see the Lutz this season? (My hope is that she can skip 4CC, let her leg rest and come back for Worlds)

My hope is that she can skip Nationals. Unless Rika really wants to finally win Nationals, although you're right in that skipping 4CC would give her about 3 months from Nationals to Worlds.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
My hope is that she can skip Nationals. Unless Rika really wants to finally win Nationals, although you're right in that skipping 4CC would give her about 3 months from Nationals to Worlds.

She can win Nationals anytime if she skates like she's skating now with Lutzes.

She's the great hope and future of figure skating. I wouldn't mind if she just skipped anything to heal that foot once and for all.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Rika already has a 4CC victory.
But she doesn't have the Senior Nationals title yet.
I have a feeling if she had to choose one it would be Nationals.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
It's unfortunate. It seems like Rika may have been overtraining this summer and this is the consequence. I'd much rather see her skip 4CC and come back strong for Worlds.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's unfortunate. It seems like Rika may have been overtraining this summer and this is the consequence. I'd much rather see her skip 4CC and come back strong for Worlds.

Yeah, it's a tough call. If she can do her planned layout, she can beat anyone except a few of the Russians if they skate great, and a 3Lz might not make enough of a difference to close that gap anyway. It's hard to say you aren't healthy enough to compete for your country when you're doing 3A and 4S beautifully in practice. In addition, if she comes back at Worlds, putting a 3Lz in the high-pressure SP when you haven't done it in a long time might be a bad idea. I'm sure she's weighing these risks and rewards with her team and will make the best decision.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Not quite there for Rika but she went for it.

Congratulations to Sasha for being the first lady EVER to land a quad flip.
Anna I'm sure will succeed in becoming the second, was a good attempt though!

Amei

Record Breaker
Russian Nationals could get even more interesting now. A true battle of quad and triple Axels.

Mishin was like 'here's a 4T from Elizaveta' and Eteri was all 'I'll see your 4T and raise you 2 4F's by Shcherbakova and Trusova'

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Mishin was like 'here's a 4T from Elizaveta' and Eteri was all 'I'll see your 4T and raise you 2 4F's by Shcherbakova and Trusova'

Alyona was asked if she might add a quad, she giggled and was very shrewd with her answer.
If she whips out one of those from up her sleeve she could be the almost unbeatable one, that's for sure! She's not far off 250 Total score WITHOUT.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I think we can be pretty certain all of Khrustalniy skaters are in the harness every other day to keep the production line rolling. Trusova, Shcherbakova, Valiyeva, Khromykh, Akat'yeva. Petrosyan might get a quad if the team wants to send her to JGP next season?

But what about other federations? Is teaching ultra-si only feasible in dedicated sports schools for children and youths, like those that exist in Russia?

Or for those privileged few which are allowed home schooling and live close to a rink with sufficient ice time for figure skating?

Learning quads on a fully grown body is possible, like Tuktamysheva has proven, but only if you already have a solid foundation in a triksel?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
But what about other federations? Is teaching ultra-si only feasible in dedicated sports schools for children and youths, like those that exist in Russia?

For the most part, yes, I think the feasibility in other situations is very limited.

Or for those privileged few which are allowed home schooling and live close to a rink with sufficient ice time for figure skating?

And in this limited situation, I'd add not just proximity to a rink with sufficient ice time, but with availability of high-level coaching AND ability to fund the ice time and the necessary coaching.

So ultimately, if you're trying to ask in a round-about way, whether the Russian dominance of ladies learning and performing advanced jumps is likely to continue, I'd say yes. It will continue indefinitely because there is no other federation setup that has the combination of Raw Material + Process + Funding to swing it. Perhaps the Japanese and/or Koreans can come up with systems of their own since they can certainly find inputs 1 and 3, and developing #2 in their relatively centralized systems is doable if they have the will. I don't see this being able to happen in other federations particularly not the USA.

Then again, the situation could radically change if the ISU changed the scoring system to disincentivize the advanced jumps.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
With Trusova's 4F, I believe this is the first time since the introduction of the double jump that every jump that has ever been successfully landed in a competition by men has also been landed by women.

E

eterialskater

The quadruples should be refactored. Quad lutz is not harder than quad Flip or Loop. Even in triples it's more of a preference or a skaters stronger edge that they would prefer flip or lutz. The loop jump requires impecable timing and amazing hips. I highly doubt any woman is going to start landing quad loops soons as it triple counterpart is prone to be under rotated. If there is any woman that could do it then I would think Sasha would be the one. She is the only one I know who does that quick takeoff to her loop combo. She has the necessary tools to land this jump.

lzxnl

Final Flight
The quadruples should be refactored. Quad lutz is not harder than quad Flip or Loop. Even in triples it's more of a preference or a skaters stronger edge that they would prefer flip or lutz. The loop jump requires impecable timing and amazing hips. I highly doubt any woman is going to start landing quad loops soons as it triple counterpart is prone to be under rotated. If there is any woman that could do it then I would think Sasha would be the one. She is the only one I know who does that quick takeoff to her loop combo. She has the necessary tools to land this jump.

There's surely something wrong with the relative quad scores if Trusova and Chen have more trouble with a 4S than a 4Lz. Both of them have much more stable 4Fs, it seems, and Nathan seems disinterested in his 4Lo of old. Yuzuru comes out and lands 4Lzs in practice with a 100% success rate (on camera), but still struggles with that 4Lo.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
My hope is that she can skip Nationals. Unless Rika really wants to finally win Nationals

Or she really wants to compete at Worlds.

Rika can't be selected to Japan's World team unless she participates in Nationals. The only exceptions are for people that have won a medal at Senior World Championships in the past.