Women and the Quad | Page 84 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Fluture

Record Breaker
Thanks.
4Lz<
4Lo<<

I thought the loop was more rotated than the lutz but that might be the angle. Still, I wish she‘d go for doing 3 3As first, maybe with a more difficult entry (a la Kostornaya).

I really like her but right now she has a looong set up for that 3A and it isn‘t always fully rotated either. I don‘t see how she would put in two more heavily underrotated (right now) quads in a program that isn‘t perfected yet. But if it‘s only trying it out in training, then I‘m fine with it. I wish skaters in general would focus on the overall picture, though, perfecting an element, before rushing to include more and more quads. But that‘s just my opinion, why would they listen to that anyway. :laugh: :shrug:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Good attempts nevertheless :thumbsup: I wonder, will Korean Federation push lifting quads ban in short program too? :rolleye:

Did that FFKKR motion fail to reach the agenda already, according to something I've read in the Russian press (SE I believe)?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I thought the loop was more rotated than the lutz but that might be the angle. Still, I wish she‘d go for doing 3 3As first, maybe with a more difficult entry (a la Kostornaya).

I really like her but right now she has a looong set up for that 3A and it isn‘t always fully rotated either. I don‘t see how she would put in two more heavily underrotated (right now) quads in a program that isn‘t perfected yet. But if it‘s only trying it out in training, then I‘m fine with it. I wish skaters in general would focus on the overall picture, though, perfecting an element, before rushing to include more and more quads. But that‘s just my opinion, why would they listen to that anyway. :laugh: :shrug:

You has no plans to include Quads into her programs this season. There is still enough time to perfect them for next season :)

Amei

Record Breaker

I mean she has a full month to go before Worlds, but Young's not been consistent on the triple axel this season, I think she's only landed it clean 2-3 times this season. The way the season has gone without some additional quads/triple axels from Young and/or a landed quad and clean triple axels from Rika - Worlds podium as of right now based on scoring this season - Shcherbakova/Kostornaia/Trusova's to lose, and we've seen Trusova still be able to win bronze with messy skates because no one else was attempting quads. So I can understand training it now and I assume attempting it at Worlds because without out it she doesn't really have a shot at being on the podium unless there is a complete implosion by the 3 Russians so she has nothing to lose with the exception of risking injury which she can injure herself on a triple just as easily (Shcherbakova broke her leg on a triple).

Based on scoring this season without 1-2 quads - she's not going to medal
If she goes for 1 or 2 of the quads and doesn't land them - she is unlikely medal, but she's gotten over that mental hurdle of trying them at competition
If she goes for 1 or 2 quads and does land them - she has given herself a chance to medal and she's gotten over the mental hurdle of trying them at competition and she knows she can land them in competition which has to confidence boost going into the jumps in the future.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Could somebody share video of this in NOT GIF format? It's impossible to watch it in slo mo otherwise - and therefore it's hard to tell how rotated these jumps are.

I’m assuming so you can scrutinize them and then criticize them if they’re insufficiently rotated? :rolleye:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.
4Lz<
4Lo<<
Good attempts nevertheless :thumbsup: I wonder, will Korean Federation push lifting quads ban in short program too? :rolleye:

Oops guess I should have checked the next page! :laugh: #predictions

lusterfan

Final Flight

I too wish that she would bring in a more complex entry or less of a stalked set-up for her 3A's, however I can see why she doesn't. 1) She still doesn't have it consistent yet, so adding more complexity might ruin her steady improvements, and 2) she receives massive GOE just for landing it. Judges are willing to go for her once she lands it on one foot, so she really doesn't need to throw in so much risk yet. I'm curious to see if she will starting chucking the quads next season though!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I’m assuming so you can scrutinize them and then criticize them if they’re insufficiently rotated? :rolleye:

- - - Updated - - -

Oops guess I should have checked the next page! :laugh: #predictions

To be fair, Elicidius looks like a pretty strict caller to me.
During summer he responded to me here. telling me Trusova’s 4T from one of the shows was under, and it looked pretty well rotated to me!
I mean, I think I’m generally pretty harsh, probably nowhere near as harsh as him :D
Good things we’re not the judges!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who can tell, really, from these faraway and grainy videos what is rotated or not?

Ulrica

On the Ice
Young's 4L looks pretty big, it looks rotated to me but the videos are not clear enough to actually confirm. I hope we get more videos of her practices.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Very impressive considering that she's a tall girl by figure skating standards.

The future of figure skating is very exciting!

Can you imagine them all throwing quads in Beijing!?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
. unless there is a complete implosion by the 3 Russians so she has nothing to lose with the exception of risking injury which she can injure herself on a triple just as easily (Shcherbakova broke her leg on a triple).

I thought I read that she broke her leg on a double (loop?) in a combination? Anyone?

Mawwerg

Final Flight
An update.

Quads count: 128

Quad Queen 31/53
Shcherbakova 11/27
Akatieva 6/15
Valieva 3/5
Liu 2/6
Zhilina V. 2/5
Berestovskaya 1/7
Tursynbaeva 1/3
Khromykh 0/2
Sakamoto 0/2
Kihira 0/1
Tarakanova 0/1
Tuktamysheva 0/1

I've added to the condition avg.GOE >= 0 another one that a jump should be called fully rotated to be clean. If anybody thinks it's too strict and the first one is enough one can add one more clean quad Flip to Anna Shcherbakova.

In jump types Toeloop is now a clear leader.

Toeloop 30/60
Lutz 22/46
Salchow 4/17
Flip 1/5

Akatieva's pace is really impressive.:shocked:

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Medalist
An update.

Quads count: 128

Quad Queen 31/53
Shcherbakova 11/27
Akatieva 6/15
Valieva 3/5
Liu 2/6
Zhilina V. 2/5
Berestovskaya 1/7
Tursynbaeva 1/3
Khromykh 0/2
Sakamoto 0/2
Kihira 0/1
Tarakanova 0/1
Tuktamysheva 0/1

I've added to the condition avg.GOE >= 0 another one that a jump should be called fully rotated to be clean. If anybody thinks it's too strict and the first one is enough one can add one more clean quad Flip to Anna Shcherbakova.

In jump types Toeloop is now a clear leader.

Toeloop 30/60
Lutz 22/46
Salchow 4/17
Flip 1/5

Akatieva's pace is really impressive.:shocked:

5 attempts of the Flip? I remember 4...

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Number before the slash is successfully competed. Number after the slash is attempts unsuccessfully competed.

A number before a slash is a number of clean(avg.GOE>=0 and a quad is called fully rotated) elements with a quad(4X in score sheets). A number after a slash is a total number of such attempts i.e. Kamila Valieva made 5 quad attempts and 3 of them were clean.

Last edited: