Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Congratulations, Yuko and Alexander! :cheer: Their skate and joy brought tears to my eyes. Yuko is so charming when she smiles, laughs and chats. I wish she'd smile more often on the ice. I also wish they'd get more rewarded in PCS. And thirdly, I hope they go to 2017 Euros, so I can see them with my own eyes. Been a fan for years. :love:

Noolan

On the Ice
Pretty interesting interview with Yuko
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/53188/
She says this season she couldn't find a single reason to keep skating, so Moskvina told her if she can't skate for herself, she should skate for others. Now she says she's skating for Sasha, she wants to support him. That being said, in that same interview she says he criticized her very harshly right there on the ice after the program today. You couldn't see it on the video, but apparently that's why she was on the verge of tears as she was going off ice. She says he never did anything like that and it was all pretty scary to her. Also, Sasha said he didn't know the scores, so I guess he thought they lost because of that mistake in the end. But it all worked out well, they both looked super happy on the podium :cheer:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Why did he get mad at her? He's the one whose arm collapsed on the one-arm overhead lift. what did she do wrong? She was in perfect position, wasn't she?

andromache

Record Breaker
Pretty interesting interview with Yuko
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/53188/
She says this season she couldn't find a single reason to keep skating, so Moskvina told her if she can't skate for herself, she should skate for others. Now she says she's skating for Sasha, she wants to support him. That being said, in that same interview she says he criticized her very harshly right there on the ice after the program today. You couldn't see it on the video, but apparently that's why she was on the verge of tears as she was going off ice. She says he never did anything like that and it was all pretty scary to her. Also, Sasha said he didn't know the scores, so I guess he thought they lost because of that mistake in the end. But it all worked out well, they both looked super happy on the podium :cheer:

I love this pair and I'm so happy to see them back, but IMO it's somewhat concerning that Yuko says she's skating for Sasha and not herself--it's great that she's supporting him, but a statement like that makes me question her competitive fire (I find that athletes who truly want it and skate for themselves and for the love of competition and the sport do the best, though others might disagree.)

I'm also sad for her that she faced such rough criticism after her skate.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I'm also sad for her that she faced such rough criticism after her skate.

I think Sasha was only relieving his strong emotions after the FS, NOT flying into a rage against fragile & sensitive Yuko, for he is always very nice and considerate towards his partner. Wish they could deliver two flawless programs at Worlds and finally win the world title.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Why did he get mad at her? He's the one whose arm collapsed on the one-arm overhead lift. what did she do wrong? She was in perfect position, wasn't she?
Maybe she lost balance? But I think the mistake on the lift was accounted to both. He couldn't blame her all alone.

adelia

Record Breaker
I think Sasha was only relieving his strong emotions after the FS, NOT flying into a rage against fragile & sensitive Yuko, for he is always very nice and considerate towards his partner. Wish they could deliver two flawless programs at Worlds and finally win the world title.
Yes. Let's not make a big deal out of this. They have a very good relationship.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
This is so exciting. Gold medals for Mishin and Moskvina's students this weekend...could this be the beginning of a great St. Petersburg revival for skating? I really hope so!
Any chance Moskvina would take on new pairs? She said she'd retire, but with Yuko and Sasha back and her school with Mishin...

Among the girls participating in Russian Jr. Nationals this year, it seems like those who qualified via the JGP circuit were almost all from Moscow... but among the rest, there's an equal number of St. Petersburg students.

I can't tell regarding her balance. Not the best at the technicalities of pairs (I mistook their throw 3Lo in the gala for a throw 4S due to the Swedish commentators' crazy enthusiasm. Had to watch replay to see the truth :laugh:). But it's possible the pressure over the season had built within him and spilled out. On today of all days, I think we can be try our best to be positive. :)

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Any chance Moskvina would take on new pairs? She said she'd retire, but with Yuko and Sasha back and her school with Mishin...

Among the girls participating in Russian Jr. Nationals this year, it seems like those who qualified via the JGP circuit were almost all from Moscow... but among the rest, there's an equal number of St. Petersburg students.

:)

I don't think Yuko/Sasha will continue skating after the Worlds considering their physical conditions, especially Sasha's. In the latest interview with Moskvina she suggested that Sasha might follow in her footsteps to coach at their newly-opened skating school. In other words, Moskvina is certain to step aside very soon. As for the Russian Junior Nationals, I think Gubanova and little Liza are qualified to show up, which will make the whole competitions more interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't think Yuko/Sasha will continue skating after the Worlds considering their physical conditions, especially Sasha. In the latest interview with Moskvina she suggested that Sasha might follow in her footsteps to coach at their newly-opened skating school. In other words, Moskvina is certain to step aside very soon. As for the Russian Junior Nationals, I think Gubanova and little Liza are qualified to show up, which will make the whole competitions more interesting to watch.
Do you know how many young talents are there in St Petersburg at the moment?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think Yuko/Sasha will continue skating after the Worlds considering their physical conditions, especially Sasha's. In the latest interview with Moskvina she suggested that Sasha might follow in her footsteps to coach at their newly-opened skating school. In other words, Moskvina is certain to step aside very soon. As for the Russian Junior Nationals, I think Gubanova and little Liza are qualified to show up, which will make the whole competitions more interesting to watch.
Well, that's to be expected... I'd hoped Moskvina could be part of the potential revival, but it seems like Sasha could still be part of it as a coach. :) Does anyone know what exactly is going on with the new Mishin-Moskvina school?

slider11

Medalist
Love this team but Sasha looks like he's ready to collapse at the end. I've never seen an elite skater look so red in the face and utterly exhausted. I wonder if the mistake with the lift was partially due to his exhaustion and not physically able to lift and hold her. If he hesitated or was out of sync I can see Yuka getting off balance and the mistake between the two of them made the lift go bad. But saying all that, they are a fabulous couple and if this is their last year I think the LP is the way to go. Yuka looks so depressed most of the time. It was good to see a little bit of a smile when their scores were announced. I hope there is a happy future for both of them.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Love this team but Sasha looks like he's ready to collapse at the end. I've never seen an elite skater look so red in the face and utterly exhausted. I wonder if the mistake with the lift was partially due to his exhaustion and not physically able to lift and hold her. If he hesitated or was out of sync I can see Yuka getting off balance and the mistake between the two of them made the lift go bad. But saying all that, they are a fabulous couple and if this is their last year I think the LP is the way to go. Yuka looks so depressed most of the time. It was good to see a little bit of a smile when their scores were announced. I hope there is a happy future for both of them.

This. :laugh: If you watch their last lift in slow motion carefully, you can see very clearly it is Yuko who could not hold her position that long and almost fell off from Sasha's back.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Actually red face has not much to do with exhaustion. It's your physical body condition. I have seen some people get red face easily after running or drinking bear. And they're quite healthy.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Actually red face has not much to do with exhaustion. It's your physical body condition. I have seen some people get red face easily after running or drinking bear. And they're quite healthy.

Some say that a kind-hearted person usually shows red face after drinking or doing work-outs, you know. :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Wow! :jaw: My, are they looking good! And is it just me, or does Mr Mishin look positively Golden Era Movie Star-ish?

He was quite handsome indeed!

As for Sasha, even when he's not skating, I've wondered if he might be a bit of a fan of tanning salons. Now I like Sasha very much and I think he's a good-looking guy...I'm just not sure his complexion is 100% Mother Nature at work. :slink: (I have no tangible proof that he fake-bakes, but if he does, I wish he would stop it.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
This one error aside, I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with their lifts? :scratch: In fact, some of their positions (even in the gala) are incredibly difficult and daring. I think it was just a timing issue.