Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Both Anna and Sasha are

I remember seeing a video a few years ago of Sasha attempting a 3A in competition, and it wasn't really that bad of an attempt. Given the improvements she's made since, it wouldn't surprise me to see her at it to her arsenal.

readernick

Medalist
I remember seeing a video a few years ago of Sasha attempting a 3A in competition, and it wasn't really that bad of an attempt. Given the improvements she's made since, it wouldn't surprise me to see her at it to her arsenal.

I never thought that Anna or Sasha had good enough 2As to make them 3As. ( Alena has always had a beautiful 2A). But, Sasha's 2A looks a lot better this year. I would never underestimate her determination. Anna is, also, very determined but I find by her 2A very low and it doesn't cover any distance. I could see her doing a 4T before getting a 3A. I could be wrong, though.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I never thought that Anna or Sasha had good enough 2As to make them 3As. ( Alena has always had a beautiful 2A). But, Sasha's 2A looks a lot better this year. I would never underestimate her determination. Anna is, also, very determined but I find by her 2A very low and it doesn't cover any distance. I could see her doing a 4T before getting a 3A. I could be wrong, though.

Anna has landed 4Ts for years now

AKTKN

Rinkside
Proper technique. She jumps from her legs.

Actualy, Plushenko once complained about his studens imitating Liza's axel and how he has to spend a lot of time retraining them. He said that when Liza had problem with 3A, Mishin desided that the problem was her left hand and designed one handed technique for her. What Plushenko demonstrated as proper technique looked to me like what Alena does.

P.S. link

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Actualy, Plushenko once complained about his studens imitating Liza's axel and how he has to spend a lot of time retraining them. He said that when Liza had problem with 3A, Mishin desided that the problem was her (right?) hand and designed one handed technique for her. What Plushenko demonstrated as proper technique looked to me like what Alena does.

I think Liza's 3A is similar to what many men do. I saw a Japanese figure skating show (with badly translated subtitles) about different styles of 3As. The discussed all different styles of 3 axels and mentioned Liza as the only female figure skater who uses that technique.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
A good high speed camera reel of Kostornaya's soaring high and far first triksel in combination would be most welcome for proper assessment, measurement and biomechanics analysis.

Her approach crosswise from one long side to the other using only half the ice's width while performing figures, coming at the boarding at full speed, only cutting into the launch like 4 meters out using a huge leg kick? That takes some courage, because if she pops, she might crash into the boards and even topple over them.

I couldn't fully hear nor understand the conversation in her post Finlandia interview, it seems she was asked to show some bruise on her hip of thigh, so perhaps she has crashed into the boarding a few times?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Actualy, Plushenko once complained about his studens imitating Liza's axel and how he has to spend a lot of time retraining them. He said that when Liza had problem with 3A, Mishin desided that the problem was her (right?) hand and designed one handed technique for her. What Plushenko demonstrated as proper technique looked to me like what Alena does.

That's actually very good coaching for Mishin to be able to make a change to Liza's technique that helps her consistently land one of the most difficult jumps in the sport.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
With all the fanfare that Alena received for her 3a's, I also want to say I was also very impressed with Sofia Akatieva who landed two 3a's in her LP this past weekend. The future is bright!

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Anna's 3A on harness looks quite promising. Sergey wasn't lifting her much at all. I've noticed lots of improvement in her 2A so I was wondering if she was training it. I hope we get to see this landed by itself soon! Same with her 4T

I disagree. I jumped on a harness myself and I clearly see he is pulling her up very hard. IMO Anna’s axel is her weakest element and I don’t see her pulling out a triple.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I disagree. I jumped on a harness myself and I clearly see he is pulling her up very hard. IMO Anna’s axel is her weakest element and I don’t see her pulling out a triple.

Ok then. I don’t think her axel is her weakest element...it’s been looking quite good lately...I didn’t think Lilbet’s was strong until she pulled out a 3A :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Liza's latest set of 3A's from Skate America were real beauties, done with ease and not too long a set up for it either.

Amei

Record Breaker

Annas 3LZ isn't exactly that high or all that impressive, but strangely her quad is; I don't know if a low 2A is going to necessarily mean that she's not going to get a 3A.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Interesting... could she recalibrate on the fly and land on the left leg? Like Artur Dmitriev 2nd did with 3Lz3F.

It's not a matter of recalibrating on the fly -- it's a different skill that would have to be practiced just like any other skill.

I wouldn't recommend trying to learn it with one's hardest jump.

But for any skaters, male or female, who are better at jumping horizontally and maintaining flow than at jumping high enough to add more revolutions, maybe 2A landing on back inside edge, into 3S or 3F could be a different way to add difficulty. If only the ISU would build a reward for that kind of difficulty into the rules.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I see no reason to discourage the 2A+3T combo.

But 3-3 combos should be rewarded even more.

Which they are in the short program, i.e., by being allowed there at all. :)