Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

ruga

Final Flight
Rika has also turned a stepout into Euler once, so maybe she will be ready to do it with her axel as well :D she probably did this combo just for fun or to make her axel landing stronger and to get more stamina. We see skaters practise multiple jump combos/sequences that will never be included into actual competitions. Why not try something that may be useful in the future then?

lzxnl

Final Flight
It sounds like a bad idea to practice a combo that she will need if she adds a second quad while she has none yet.

Keep in mind that she has actually landed (possibly UR) quads for years, just hasn't put them into programs yet. There are videos of her training 4S and 4T from years (plural) back.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It sounds like a bad idea to practice a combo that she will need if she adds a second quad while she has none yet.
She’s been doing them in practice for a while now, so she “has” them already. And even if she didn’t, it wouldn’t be a bad idea.

readernick

Medalist

No, I think it is a very good idea。Rika is not the type of skater to add a new element without a lot of practice . She does not seem naturally self confident to me. ( as in she doesn't know how good she truly is) She needs months or years of practice to make her confident enough to successfully compete an element. If she needs it in a year or two, she should practice it now.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Her rotation is very quick but even I could see that was a clean 3A in real time

She's brilliant

Both Sof'ya's videos are up for comparison.
Samodelkina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmWSMtYHmPs
Akat'yeva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klj2OD6YcQo

Both girls have grown in height, but Samodelkina also bulked up a little, so perhaps has it a little more difficult at the moment in rotating. Still, a brave attempt and her combination was validated. Still waiting for the protocols though, for it was said in the chat the judging was strict.

Edit: protocols are up now: http://freeskating.info/results/1920/volkov_memorial_2019/ec_K_Scores.pdf , and Samodelkina got a <, which was visible in real time.

Both girls fairly matched in components, they are top of their rinks and age groups after all.

Bring on the quads, a battle of Sof'ya's, but I think Akat'yeva has the upper hand ....

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Anybody willing and able to analyse this clip from a biomechanical or Newtonian physics viewpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNlFzZR0iT4 , Alyona's in my eyes -most awesome- triksel from GP de France short program.

The way she approaches the camera at full speed, sharply turns and cuts into the launch, swinging her right free leg around, pushing off with the left leg to achieve enormous height and being able to rotate 1260 degrees clean in the air, landing on the red line, since I notice very little pre- and post rotation.

How is she able to convert kinetic energy into potential energy to lift herself (around 40 kgs) like 60-80 cms off the ice? You can see the muscles in her left thigh working, and no doubt the butt, calve and ankle muscles work in unison too, as do the core, arms and shoulders. All coordinated in a flash to deliver the lift since I assume the speed propels Alyona along her trajectory.

I can imagine the fear of skaters wanting to throw a full speed triksel in the corners, for when they break out, they'll crash into or onto the boarding. Alyona in her most recent interviews talked about the learning process and the pain it took, which makes her all the more gutsy, since she overcame principal fear or seriously hurting herself. No doubt she will have remaining 'battle scars' as a sign of distinction, of coming of age, of entering the League of Trikselistas, which is the elite from the elite in figure skating.

She leans into the curve to counter the centrifugal force, so any centripetal force has to come from herself, which I assume is by leaning to the inside, which robs her from some 'leverage'. Also, her trajectory seems linear and not curved because of her rotation? So the lean to the inside at the lift off counters the natural drift to the outside?

Does her forwards speed and momentum, the kinetic energy, give her any lift and how is this achieved without jumping over the toepick or off the edge?

On studying the clip some more, it seems the rotational momentum is initiated by this sharp cutting into the curve on one blade, then lifting off over the toepick of that blade while kicking at the same time.
So forwards momentum is used to gain rotational momentum, hence the landing speed is less than the take off speed, but when swinging the free leg back, speed is gained again. No energy is lost, the hallmark of any successful jump.

Complex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_around_a_fixed_axis , and there should be more Newtonian physics explanations to create a simulation capable of modelling triksels and quads.

PS, it is also brave to perform the element right in front of the camera, no chance of any cheating in take off or landing.
There should be quality high frame rate cameras in every corner.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Amazing analysis!

Her axel is sublime, it is hard to believe she's only been landing it in competition such a short time, just two competitions in fact