Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

lzxnl

Final Flight
Anybody willing and able to analyse this clip from a biomechanical or Newtonian physics viewpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNlFzZR0iT4 , Alyona's in my eyes -most awesome- triksel from GP de France short program.

The way she approaches the camera at full speed, sharply turns and cuts into the launch, swinging her right free leg around, pushing off with the left leg to achieve enormous height and being able to rotate 1260 degrees clean in the air, landing on the red line, since I notice very little pre- and post rotation.

How is she able to convert kinetic energy into potential energy to lift herself (around 40 kgs) like 60-80 cms off the ice? You can see the muscles in her left thigh working, and no doubt the butt, calve and ankle muscles work in unison too, as do the core, arms and shoulders. All coordinated in a flash to deliver the lift since I assume the speed propels Alyona along her trajectory.

I can imagine the fear of skaters wanting to throw a full speed triksel in the corners, for when they break out, they'll crash into or onto the boarding. Alyona in her most recent interviews talked about the learning process and the pain it took, which makes her all the more gutsy, since she overcame principal fear or seriously hurting herself. No doubt she will have remaining 'battle scars' as a sign of distinction, of coming of age, of entering the League of Trikselistas, which is the elite from the elite in figure skating.

She leans into the curve to counter the centrifugal force, so any centripetal force has to come from herself, which I assume is by leaning to the inside, which robs her from some 'leverage'. Also, her trajectory seems linear and not curved because of her rotation? So the lean to the inside at the lift off counters the natural drift to the outside?

Does her forwards speed and momentum, the kinetic energy, give her any lift and how is this achieved without jumping over the toepick or off the edge?

PS, it is also brave to perform the element right in front of the camera, no chance of any cheating in take off or landing.

That video makes her landing look very suspect though...

readernick

Medalist
First her axel is beautiful, and high but definitely not 60 to 80 cms high... perhaps in the high 50s? Where did you get your numbers?

Second, as the previous poster mentioned.. this video makes it pretty clear why she got an UR call..the UR is pretty clear in slowmo from this camera angle.

The fact that she is URs her axel (pretty frequently...I think 3 of her 5 attempts in competition have been UR and 2 were called)when it is both high (like Tuks) and covers distance ( like Rika's) means she really needs to work on her rotational position.

As I have mentioned numerous times, Alena is a favorite of mine (and everyone else's 🥰🥰), I hope she improves the rotation position so that she can reach her scoring potential.

It is amazing that she can jump so high, she is obviously very muscular. This type of small but strong body type is also seen in Rika and Sasha. Rika and Alena also share other similar body characteristics .. long arms and large feet for their body size. (I do wonder if this type of shape is best for the axel) It is a little sad that the current demands of figure skating mean that you have to have a very specific body type to succeed. There aren't going to be very many tall skaters in the future.

madmax

Rinkside
Second, as the previous poster mentioned.. this video makes it pretty clear why she got an UR call..the UR is pretty clear in slowmo from this camera angle.

It seems that, even if we are watching the same video, we get diametrically opposed evaluations. (No news, the use of the VAR has by no means diminished the controversy in football! :laugh2:)
The frame in which the blade is perpendicular to the direction of the jump is not the landing point: in the next frame the blade lowers further and rotates another 20-30 degree before touching the ice.
In my opinion, the UR call was a BIG mistake by the technical panel.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
It seems that, even if we are watching the same video, we get diametrically opposed evaluations. (No news, the use of the VAR has by no means diminished the controversy in football! :laugh2:)
The frame in which the blade is perpendicular to the direction of the jump is not the landing point: in the next frame the blade lowers further and rotates another 20-30 degree before touching the ice.

I agree with you. And you make a very good point.
When I saw that clip, my first thought was that it's so undeniably clean, while there are users who saw that clip and thought that it's so clearly under.
But then, it kind of shows how sometimes panels probably can be in disagreement about edge calls and underrotations too, and come to weird conclusions in the same event.

SkateSkates

Medalist

Totally agree. I hope this extremely harsh call doesn’t get in her head this weekend and she just focuses on her technique and doesn’t worry about the technical calls.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
This wasn't a broadcasting camera, was it the tech camera? My guess it is a photographers professional DSLR with quality optics, for the clip is shot from behind the curved section of the boarding?

Anyway, wish there were frame counters, but since the clip is already slowed down and still uses full frame resolution one can slow down the YT playback even more.
Alyona's left blade leaves the ice at around 9.7 s with hardly any pre-rotation, her right blade lands on the ice at around 23.9 s in a straight line from the point of take off. Where would any UR have taken place?

I guestimated the height by how far her head and torso rise above the boarding in the background, but the camera both pans and zooms out, and Alyona stretches and hunches again. It is a high and probably far jump for a girl and the first triksel I've seen is such a good close up.

It is too late and unnecessary to worry about possible calls now. Skaters do their thing as they have learned it. They trust their trainers and if they OK'd the jump the skater is confident of its value.
A tighter leg wrap will probably come with experience, but perhaps this huge kick is needed because Alyona uses a difficult entry and is already in 'step sequence' modulating her speed and power, like explained by another poster in her own thread?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It makes me wonder if Midori Ito could have had an even better 3A or a quad even. She had incredible jumps but very bad leg wrap

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
If we ignore the skaters from the past, is there sufficient video in good closeup available for some comparison?

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, NHK Trophy is supposed to be broadcast in 8K video in Japan, so hopefully we'll get some super high-quality video of Aliona's and Rika's 3As (assuming, of course, that they land some good ones).

Also, I wonder if they'll be using the Ice Scope tech that they had at Worlds--then maybe we'll get some actual measurements of the height and distance they achieve! :agree:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Well, NHK Trophy is supposed to be broadcast in 8K video in Japan, so hopefully we'll get some super high-quality video of Aliona's and Rika's 3As (assuming, of course, that they land some good ones).

Also, I wonder if they'll be using the Ice Scope tech that they had at Worlds--then maybe we'll get some actual measurements of the height and distance they achieve! :agree:

Currently, I'm expecting Alena to have a higher 3A, but for Rika to jump further. Rika's 3A in the 3A-Eu-3S she posted before went half the width of the rink. I'm curious to see if my assessment is correct.

Arbitrary

Medalist
What stated about axel in the Wikipedia makes some interesting thoughts.
3Ax is lower jump than 2Ax. A skater needs to rotate much faster, thus the momentum has to be distributed with lower vector to make faster rotation, not the higher jump.

I see here why 4Ax is so problematic. One needs to rotate as fast as with 3Ax, if not faster, but on the height of the best 2Ax, if not higher.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Currently, I'm expecting Alena to have a higher 3A, but for Rika to jump further. Rika's 3A in the 3A-Eu-3S she posted before went half the width of the rink. I'm curious to see if my assessment is correct.

I do notice that a lot of the Japanese ladies' jumps have incredible distance and power, but not necessarily a lot of height. Kaori's and Wakaba's 2A's are so powerful, but mostly just travel far and not high.

Rika's 3A's from what I remember don't go very high, but have great distance and speed in and out of the jump. Alena's height on the 3A is impressive and looks shockingly effortless for her. Once she figures out the rotational and landing issues, it might just be my personal favorite 3A!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
The Japanese women generally are of a different build, shorter overall, more shorter of legs compared to trunk, and they don't seem to be very lean. So their center of mass and the length of the 'levers' differs from the more taller, longer limbed and lankier typical European girl's body favoured in athletic figure skating.

More biomechanical analysis on triksels is most needed, for it will benefit all to learn to master this most difficult jump when more data becomes available. But theory is only theory, the practice of learning a triksel, both from the psychological and physical viewpoint is interesting too.