Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Seeing Alena and Rika skate back to back made me realize that Alena does her 3As into two different positions whereas Rika does hers to the same place. Also Liza does hers to two different positions.

E

Amei

Record Breaker
Seeing Alena and Rika skate back to back made me realize that Alena does her 3As into two different positions whereas Rika does hers to the same place. Also Liza does hers to two different positions.

E

Rika also does her second triple axel later in the program and didn't under-rotate the second 1 either so maybe there is something to be said for doing the axel in that spot :)

robinhood

Rinkside

E

No, she does not. she jumps one axel in one side of the rink facing the audience and the other one in the other side facing the judges. Kostornaia jumps it into the corners and Kihira just circles it in using the center part of the rink

lzxnl

Final Flight
I wonder if Rika will ever end up moving a 3A to the second half of her program. Possibly if she goes for two quads next season. Doing a 3A as a fourth jumping pass is already pretty impressive.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Also, we saw her practicing a 3A-Eu-3S with transitions before it. I hope she recovers and can put the lutz back in so we can see this awesome 3 jump combo. It will be the first in the ladies field I believe?

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder if Rika will ever end up moving a 3A to the second half of her program. Possibly if she goes for two quads next season. Doing a 3A as a fourth jumping pass is already pretty impressive.

Maybe they are easing her into it - she does it as the 4th jump now, give her this season to be comfortable with that then next season move it to the second half. Especially if she's going to add a quad this season, not seen any interviews yet about why she didn't go for the 4S at NHK because had she gone for it she might've beaten Kostornaia.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Practice Chat related to practices at the JGPF and GPF are covered by Competition Chat guidelines. Please conduct such chat in the Competition forums until the competition segment is complete. Please refer to the Competition Chat guidelines for more details.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Can we just take a moment to appreciate that 4 ladies are performing triple axels at the GPF, at 5 in total this week if you count Liza at Golden Spin? And then if you look at who's doing it internationally this season you have to add Young You. And then Sofia Samodelkina and Sofia Akatieva competing it nationally, bringing the tally up to 8. And then there's Lilbet, Wakaba, and Ksenia Sinitsyna who have shown videos of it, and even more who are going to attempt to learn it. This is by far the most ladies there's been at one time doing this jump, this sport is evolving before our eyes.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Do we already have a measurement of Alyona Kostornaya's awesome triksels from Turin? I believe only ice left camera is calibrated for measurements, and Alyona jumps her second FS triksel right in front of it ....

SkateSkates

Medalist
Aliona has now joined the small club of women skaters landing 3 clean triple axels in a competition!

And the solo axel from her LP had a height of 57cm, significantly higher than the one in the SP, but with less speed coming out of it. Interesting to see, and I wish we got these stats from more events to monitor elements throughout the season.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we just take a moment to appreciate that 4 ladies are performing triple axels at the GPF, at 5 in total this week if you count Liza at Golden Spin? And then if you look at who's doing it internationally this season you have to add Young You. And then Sofia Samodelkina and Sofia Akatieva competing it nationally, bringing the tally up to 8. And then there's Lilbet, Wakaba, and Ksenia Sinitsyna who have shown videos of it, and even more who are going to attempt to learn it. This is by far the most ladies there's been at one time doing this jump, this sport is evolving before our eyes.

Don’t forget Alysa Liu.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes, there was one yesterday at 5:39
https://youtu.be/hAJf7zc6S_8

Her 3A had 52cm in height and 2.65m
in distance

And the exit speed of almost 20 km/h, which is very fast given the way she cuts into it. Incredible technique and bio-mechanical execution, since she is quite a fast skater already.

I love those beautiful skating maps Ledokol produces, and just wish we will get some real time computer generated skating maps with all speed and distance vectors in the future. Once ISU improves on its technology support.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Alyona really worked on making the rotation on her triple Axels, no doubts this time and skating under enormous pressure especially in the FS.
Her confidence has grown, she looked so much more self-assured.