Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

Arbitrary

Medalist
Does Nathan power through his jumps? Because he always had problems with 3As. So did Shoma Uno by the way when he started learning quads and 3A, and look at his 3A now.
It's a stronger jump for some and harder for others, but it's not an ultra holy grail that tells whether you are jumping right or not :) Skaters're all different, you know.
3A is the most difficult jump for some skaters probably, but it's not THE most difficult jump of ALL jumps for ALL skaters.
Correct. The 4Ax is.

I think Sasha cannot do 3Ax coz she cannot jump face first close to a corner. Her 3Ax requires same amount of preparation as a quad.

Tuktamisheva can do 3Ax in the rink's center.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Correct. The 4Ax is.

I think Sasha cannot do 3Ax coz she cannot jump face first close to a corner. Her 3Ax requires same amount of preparation as a quad.

Tuktamisheva can do 3Ax in the rink's center.

Now here is an interesting observation. Is this some sort of psychological barrier a skater has to overcome, after avoiding getting trapped in a corner on any jump element in the first place? Since falling on a Triksel means you -are- going to smack on the ice hard, and then crash into the boarding? There are some funny cartoons with skaters smashed into the board, but I think this is a skater's worst nightmare come true scenario.

I don't have GS Supported status, so I cannot upload small animated .gif files with Triksels as attachements. So perhaps some good youtube clips for starters for us to study as to how the women mentioned execute their Triksels?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Does Nathan power through his jumps? Because he always had problems with 3As. So did Shoma Uno by the way when he started learning quads and 3A, and look at his 3A now.
It's a stronger jump for some and harder for others, but it's not an ultra holy grail that tells whether you are jumping right or not :)

I think it's just a matter of how much the skater trains a certain jump. Along with the 3A, Nathan has trained every quad through the lutz, so he obviously spends less time on that element than guys who do one or two quads.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
There are at least two Japaneses ladies (24yo Ayaka Hosoda and 14yo Hana Yoshida) who can get a ratified 3A this season if the fed give them assignements. Since they landed it in domestic competitions several times.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
As far as I remember Sasha said she had some better attempts but in general she couldn't get it (I might remember it wrong though :)) and the fact that she can power through a 4T and a 4Lz and cannot get the 3A says it all. The technique and control required to complete a 3A is so precise, it cannot be muscled through. That's why imo the axel is in general the most difficult jump.

I presume Young You will be attempting 3A's in competitions this season.

Also, I do not like the 'trixel' abbreviation at all. Won't be using it.

Edit: Did some digging and Sasha was saying last year that before she started to work on quads, she was trying to learn 3A but it was not working at all. This year she said she will have the 3A ready for this upcoming season so we'll see soon I guess :)

Young You already landed a 3A at Broadmoor Open competition this summer and attempted two in Philadelphia but fell. She will jump it this season for sure :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
There are at least two Japaneses ladies (24yo Ayaka Hosoda and 14yo Hana Yoshida) who can get a ratified 3A this season if the fed give them assignements. Since they landed it in domestic competitions several times.

really excited about Ayaka's outings this year. She also landed 3A+3T in practices, maybe she will manage to do it in competition this season

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Maybe, maybe not. Patrick spent years and many many hours working on it, and yet it was always quite literally his bete noir. And yet others picked it up smoothly, can do it with transitions out of nowhere.

That's true. However, I do think that Patrick might have spent more time than anyone else (among his peers) on non-jump elements and skating skills. His skating ability was miles ahead of the others, and that doesn't come without hard work.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's true. However, I do think that Patrick might have spent more time than anyone else (among his peers) on non-jump elements and skating skills. His skating ability was miles ahead of the others, and that doesn't come without hard work.

Exactly! And that is a more rare thing in skating now than any jump, needs to be more widespread, but doubtful that will ever happen.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Still, the point remains, the axels are flighty beasts and the triple axel most of all.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I just watched this compilation of ladies' triple axels and realised again why in my mind/memory Ito is head and shoulders (almost literally) ahead of the others in triple axel, and Tonya Harding second. I loved Mao, I was so excited by Mirai's, but these two (and Ito particularly) had such height and explosive power in their triple axels. I have had to watch it with no sound, so I have no idea what the commentary says, but it is worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyHxe4zoUU

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
For the ladies,
Midori Ito was the first to land the 3A.
Mao Asada is the one who landed 3A the longest (more than a decade). And the only one who landed three clean 3A in international competition.
Rika Kihira is the first and the only one to have landed 3A-3T.
Mirai Nagasu (who has Japanese origins) is the lady who landed her 1st 3A in intl competition at the oldest age. Ayaka Hosoda can replace her if JSF send her to a senior B in February (which she deserves imo).
Out of 9 ladies (iirc, i don't know if Young You landed a clean one) who have landed clean 3As in intl isu competition, 4 are Japaneses (5 if we count Nagasu:biggrin:)
Japaneses have a thing with triple axel.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Midori Ito was the first to land the 3A.
Mao Asada is the one who landed 3A the longest (more than a decade). And the only one who landed three clean 3A in international competition.
Rika Kihira is the first and the only one to have landed 3A-3T.
Mirai Nagasu (who has Japanese origins) is the lady who landed her 1st 3A in intl competition at the oldest age. Ayaka Hosoda can replace her if JSF send her to a senior B in February (which she deserves imo).

Japaneses have a thing with triple axel.

As far as I remember Mao also keeps the record on the number of landed 3As on international competitions.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Now to the actual discussion. I'm curious if Alena said something in her interviews before and after the test skate about training the 3A curently. And what is Sasha's situation with this jump. Also, did Akatieva learn 3A in Eteri's group?

Sofia did learn her triples and 3A with Eteri if I recall correctly. She joined the team when she was 9.
I'm also curious to see where Alyona's 3A is right now and how Elizabeth's 3A is doing. :)
Looking at Alyona's FS, it looks like 2A, in the beginning, is a place-holder for a 3A :agree2:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I would like Wakaba to become the 10th lady to land a clean 3A. I don't think it will happen this week since i don't think that lately she had enough time to practice. But maybe later in the season.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m not sure about outrage but the term triksel is annoying. It looks like trickle and sounds like tricycle. And the use of ks for the x sound is puzzling since axel uses the x. Hopefully, it will never become a commonly used term.

Yeah, outrage? That I’m not getting:)

It may be a perfectly fine word in Russian and I’m happy to learn about it. I’m not outraged, on an English language forum I think it’s confusing and distracting:biggrin:

I still think it’s a nickname for Trixi Schuba every time I see it :laugh:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, outrage? That I’m not getting:)

It may be a perfectly fine word in Russian and I’m happy to learn about it. I’m not outraged, on an English language forum I think it’s confusing and distracting:biggrin:

I still think it’s a nickname for Trixi Schuba every time I see it :laugh:

LOL! I was just going to post that it reminded me of that OGM winner Triksi Schuba. And everyone knows, don't they, that Triks are for kids?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
All very distracting and annoying on an English-language forum (which GS officially is, per its guidelines) -- but my feelings do not rise to the level of outrage.

Part of the problem:
As far as I can tell, the mash-up in Russian is триксель: a combination of 3 (три, the correct pronunciation of which is "tree") and аксель (pronunciation: ah-ksel).
Transliteration of триксель as "treeksel" would be a more helpful representation of the pronunciation than "triksel."
"Treeksel" also would be less likely to bring to mind the word "trick" or the name Trixie. (Or the name of any cereal, LOL.)

ETA:
Sorry that I misspelled Schuba's first name. "Trixi" is the correct spelling.​

(Although "treeksel" does make me think of "treacle" ... :laugh:)

["Triple axel" (the full words) in Russian = тройной (pronunciation: troy-noy) аксель.]

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We are American English speakers. We are extremely uninventive with short names, nicknames, and pet names. If some person or thing has a pet name pasted on him or her or it by someone else, it is usually some kind of pejorative or slur in English.

When we name kids we pre-worry about avoiding nasty nicknames. A lot. There are books on the subject.
https://www.babygaga.com/16-rookie-baby-naming-mistakes-parents-need-to-avoid/

In fact, there is a GS Guideline rule that shows how such stuff is regarded in English:

Correct spelling of names
Please do not combine, abbreviate, or otherwise change the spelling of a skater or team's name. This includes using a skater's name or part of a skater's name (i.e. in political, geographical, or other context).

Quite a few people will think you meant something negative or even nasty when you call someone or something "out of name" in English.

So this is why you get the response you got. And why we have the rule exactly to avoid arguments where offense is taken, but no one meant anything wrong.

I have no idea why nicknames are viewed with more suspicion in English than in some other languages, but it seems to be so.

We are even warned about the plethora of nicknames we would see if we travelled to Russia or read a Russian novel. We tend to automatically assume that different people are meant when it is just fond nicknames for the same person. :confused:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/russian-names-nicknames-patronymics-and-family-names-1502320

Fond? A nicnkame? What!!!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All very distracting and annoying on an English-language forum (which GS officially is, per its guidelines).

Part of the problem:
As far as I can tell, the mash-up in Russian is триксель: a combination of 3 (три, the correct pronunciation of which is "tree") and аксель (pronunciation: ah-ksel).
Transliteration of триксель as "treeksel" would be a more helpful representation of the pronunciation than "triksel."
"Treeksel" also would be less likely to bring to mind the word "trick" or the name Trixie.

["Triple axel" (the full words) in Russian = тройной (pronunciation: troy-noy) аксель.]

Why not translate кс as x? Or just call it a 3A or triple axel? I don't think it needs a nickname.