Who Went To Europeans 2015? Tell Us About It? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Went To Europeans 2015? Tell Us About It?

noidont

Final Flight
Oh my. I was thinking about where the Euros and maybe I could make a trip but Sweden sounds way too cold for the winter...On the side note, I once ran into the Swedish prince on a plane in South Africa. He is very cute and his body man is just as cute.

ragdoll

On the Ice
LOL... here's Prince Carl Philip for you:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Prins_Carl_Philip_-2.jpg

For those of you not interested in royalty, I thought I'd suggest a tour of the archipelago. Stockholm has a huge archipelago with more than 30 000 islands - big and small - and there are old, picturesque steam ships that do tours even in winter. Why not have brunch on one of those ships before heading off to the arena? They won't take you around all of it, that would take all day and then some and the sea is frozen in winter but the ice breakers break up the ice along the main routes. On a clear, sunny day the archipelago is Beautiful, especially if there's a lot of snow which there is no guarantee for of course. Last winter there wasn't any at all.

http://www.stromma.se/en/Stockholm/Dining-Cruises/Brunch-cruise/Brunch-with-SS-Stockholm/

Lyinna

Rinkside
I might be going to European this year again, but I have a question. I want to attend practice so I have to buy an all-events tickets. Unfortunately I can stay only until Friday so I won't use my tickets for Saturday and Sunday. How hard do you think it will be to sell them?

ragdoll

On the Ice
I can stay only until Friday so I won't use my tickets for Saturday and Sunday. How hard do you think it will be to sell them?

Very hard to say. I don't think it will be sold out but that's just my speculations, I may be proven wrong. If you get a good seat, there may be a chance of selling to someone who can only attend at the weekend. If I were you I'd post under "Tickets for sale" here on this and other skating forums and see what happens.

Lyinna

Rinkside
I thought about that and maybe I can just find someone who can't go to practice but still want a all-event ticket. Thanks for your answer ragdoll :)

Richie

Rinkside
one more month to go and Stockholm is on da roll. have been there some times before. lovely city. next to Globen is the Hovet concerthall. and ehm our Dutch royal family is also great.:cheer2:

ragdoll

On the Ice
Richie, the Hovet arena that was used for concerts is no longer in use but instead there is the newly built Tele2 arena which is also next to Globen (where the skating wil be). The new Tele2 Arena is used for concerts (as is Globen) as well as sports events. In connection with the new arena there is something called Tolvan where you will find restaurants, bowling, mini golf and I think there's a night club there too. All within a minute's walk from the skating arena and the Globen hotel so there are things to do in the arena area when you're not watching skating.

Last edited:

Richie

Rinkside
Hi Ragdoll. I visited Stockholm twice in August (2006 and 2007) and once in February (2008) and during that last visit I was in the Hovet. Globen hall and hotel I remember still very good. Also that football playground. Was it from Hammarby) The surroundings must have changed a lot over there the last six years. What will it be weatherwise end of this month? In Boedapest 2014 it was not winterly at all.

ragdoll

On the Ice
Richie, it has changed a bit since they built the new arena next to the Globe but I'm not sure how much, I rarely go there. Come to Euro's and have a look! :) I can't give you a good weather forecast this early, I'm afraid. Late January and February is normally the coldest period but last year it wasn't cold at all by our standards so you never know; it can be as warm as +2 or 3 degrees C or as cold as minus 10 or even colder. So far this winter, we haven't had any snow and the temperature has been around plus 2 down to minus 6 so with a bit of luck you won't freeze too much. And after all, you'll mostly be indoors watching skating, won't you, so don't let the winter scare you off.

LRK

Record Breaker
@ragdoll - Great information! I'm especially glad to see that you warned about the taxis - my husband, who drives for Taxi Stockholm, is basically prepared to spit nails at the very mention of "friåkare". An additional note: a recent law has been passed that says that any taxi driver who charges more than 500 kr per 10 km will have to declare this up front to the customer before the trip begins. (I don't know how much that is in euros, but as comparison normal taxis charge 260-290 kr, or 310-325 kr per 10 km on Friday-Saturday nights. My husband insists that I say that "Beware of "friåkare", for they can take up to 10 times more" - his words.)

uhh

Medalist
@ragdoll is it safe to leave bags in the lockers at the Central Station? My flight gets in on Wednesday morning and I am hoping not to miss too much of the men's event by not having to go to our hotel before going to the arena, but I'm not sure if there is anywhere convenient that we can leave our bags.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thank you for all info, these are all very helpful!
I d like to ask accomondation help, we need a place where is close to most sightseeings or the old town but has a quick access to Arena, do you recommend any specific area in the city? Or is there an area that we should not stay at all?

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I d like to ask accomondation help, we need a place where is close to most sightseeings or the old town but has a quick access to Arena, do you recommend any specific area in the city? Or is there an area that we should not stay at all?

We are staying in the Scandic hotel in Södermalm. Södermalm is between the city center and Globen Arena. It's south from the Gamla stan (old town) and not too long way to walk there. There's also metro to Globen and to T-centralen. There are lots of little shops in Södermalm and it's not so crowded with tourists. I don't live in Sweden but many of my friends have recommended Södermalm worth visiting!

Last edited:

ragdoll

On the Ice
@ragdoll is it safe to leave bags in the lockers at the Central Station? My flight gets in on Wednesday morning and I am hoping not to miss too much of the men's event by not having to go to our hotel before going to the arena, but I'm not sure if there is anywhere convenient that we can leave our bags.

Yes, the lockers at the station should be safe. I have never heard of any problems with them. There are lockers both at the railway station and at the city terminal where the buses from the airport arrive.

ragdoll

On the Ice

All areas in the inner city are OK for quick access to sightseeing, the arena and the old town. The central area closest to the arena is the island called Södermalm provided your hotel is situated along the green underground line. If along the red line which also runs through Södermalm, you will have to change trains. The secold closest is the old town (Gamla Stan) but what you want is a hotel that is close to the green underground/subway line which is the line to the station by the arena. It doesn't really matter where in the central parts you stay as long as you are close to one of the green line stations. Stockholm is very small by world standars and the central area is so small that wherever you are staying within that, your trip to the arena will never take longer than 15 minutes once you get down into the underground station. The arena is six stops by underground from the central railway station, a journey that takes 10-12 minutes. All hotels situated around the central railway station where most of the big hotels are, are within alking distance from the old town, sightseeing tours and shopping. If you opt to stay in the area called Södermalm which is mainly a residential area you will be a bit closer to the arena but further from the main shopping district and the sightseeing starting points. But like I said, you are never far from anything in central Stockholm.

When we locals say "the inner city" we usually mean the areas two to three kilometers in all directions from the central railway station. These areas are called Norrmalm which is where the station is located - Vasastan which is immediately north of there (and which is where I live), Gamla Stan (the old town to the south), Östermalm (to the east), Kungsholmen (to the west) and Södermalm (south of the old town). The green underground line passes through central Södermalm, Gamla Stan, the central railway station/main shopping area, Norrmalm, Vasastan and these areas are the ones to opt for for fast and easy travel to and from the arena.

Richie

Rinkside
Yep many thankx also from The Netherlands. 2,5 more weeks and then off to Sweden. That Globen hotel was fully booked but that is logic because all the skaters are staying in there.