22nd Ondrej Nepela Memorial | Page 11 | Golden Skate

22nd Ondrej Nepela Memorial

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Gordei GORSHKOV (RUS)

Orange/black ombre shirt with moon and tree motif on back, black pants and gloves

Music: Moonlight Sonata (remix)

3Lo
3A+2T - maybe 3A<
3A - bit eeked out, maybe <
StSq
FCSp
3Lz+3T - at least 3T<
3S+2T+2Lo
3F
3Lz - twofooted
ChSt
2A
CCoSp3p
FCCoSp3p

FS: 70.55+68.30 = 138.85 (PB), 206.55 (PB), 3rd (out of 7)

slider11

Medalist
Good for the Shibs! It's a good start. it is a bit davis-white-esque and they don't have their power BUT It's solid and traditional and now they can add to it with their own flair. I will be anxious to see the SA version.

gibbynka

On the Ice
Aww, that is so cute :) Poor Alex :-D I missed it, because I was focused on reading the scores. Thanks for pointing out this fun moment, Mrs.P. I wish we could have signatures here, I'd totally use this moment in a gif.

TMC

Record Breaker
Aww, that is so cute :) Poor Alex :-D I missed it, because I was focused on reading the scores. Thanks for pointing out this fun moment, Mrs.P. I wish we could have signatures here, I'd totally use this moment in a gif.

Awwwww soooo sweet! I always love it when skaters show some emotion when they get good scores. Beats me how so many seem to take it so casually!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally saw the Shibs FD, and I'm very heartened. Boring??:confused: I don't *think* so, just elegant. The SD could be crisper, but I'm sure they will work on it.
And I *want* Maia's costume designer (of course, I would have to be built like Maia to pull it off):laugh:. With all the disasters in ice dancing costumes, it looks even more gorgeous.

samson

Medalist
Don't love the shibs free dance. That twizzle section though is GORGEOUS and so well thought out. If Marina had put half as much into thinking the rest of the program as she had in those twizzles we'd have a really formidable program. The performance level could be upped here too. I'll chalk some of it up to the angle we were watching it at, but it didn't really float or sing across the floor. It's a good style for them - very sophisticated but I kept thinking how gorgeous Meryl and Charlie would be skating to it.

caitie

Medalist
I like both of the Shibutani's programs! I'm glad to see how well they're scoring. Should be an interesting season!

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
I think for the Shibs, a great base for them to build off of for the start of the season. Levels need to come up, but the musicality and performance quality is evident and the judges seem to agree.

Twizzles in both programs are genuinely stand out elements for them.

Also, in my opinion the costumes especially, are really impressive. The high-end quality of the design work put into Alex's paso jacket and the tailoring of his Waltz tux is obvious. Maia, as always, looks lovely. Flatters her elegant back and hands.

KKonas

Medalist
I think for the Shibs, a great base for them to build off of for the start of the season. Levels need to come up, but the musicality and performance quality is evident and the judges seem to agree.

Twizzles in both programs are genuinely stand out elements for them.

Also, in my opinion the costumes especially, are really impressive. The high-end quality of the design work put into Alex's paso jacket and the tailoring of his Waltz tux is obvious. Maia, as always, looks lovely. Flatters her elegant back and hands.

I agree. This is just the start of the season, but both programs have a good base. They need to improve the technical aspects and work on more the individual "characterization" of their programs. Love the new twizzle sequences in both programs.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Boring is too obnoxious a term for the Shibs, I think I should explain. They are class acts and elegant. But blade to ice they are not currently expressing the crispness or dynamism of a paso. Their Waltz is also too flat. They are elegant throughout. The choreographic highlights are not particularly new and there is practically no change in tempo for the entire dance. I hope its just the camera angle that makes it appear that way. Its almost as if they remain on one level for the entire four minutes of the FD. To me their best FD's were the Tango, Cinema Paridiso (sp) and Smile. Common denominator, Igor. Their technique was so much better when he coached them. Why are they so afraid to leave Zueva? All the same I really respect them as people and hope that they raise their game.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I get the feeling they're going to work more with Scali than Zoueva, and for all we know that might have been the factor that kept them in.

IIRC, they had actually considered stepping away from the sport all together after last season -- so there's something that is keeping the fire going for now.

Maybe you'll disregard what I have to say because I am a fan, but that is how it goes. I actually think there were subtle improvements in their overall packaging that cannot be ignored. For one thing, I found myself looking at Maia a lot more -- her costume for both the SD and FD are excellent this season. I found they actually showed off her lovely back arch that her other costumes did not.

I think the video quality/angles were so terrible, I don't think it told the whole story of the dances. One thing I noted after their FD is there was a burst of applause after they were done. Not polite clapping -- somewhat loud applause. That tells me the dance was engaging to the audience on some level.

I think there's a lot of work to be done, but I agree with others it was a solid start and I think they can build on it.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I agree with almost everything you have to say. I am hopeful though that the best FD we've seen from them will not be "smile". They have the goods.

Dots

Final Flight
After watching the Shibutani's FD, I have to say this is easily their best FD to date. Those twizzles went on forever(they truly have the best ones of any team). :eek:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just watched this Shibs FD for the first time since watching live during Nepela and am no more impressed than upon my first viewing. I find it somewhat mediocre and am really disappointed at how very far apart they were skating. The first time I thought the twizzles were cool, but now I don't think they were well integrated into the dance. I'm not sure of all the rules regarding twizzles, but thought it's illegal to skate clear across the midline the way they did. Anyone know if that is now allowed with twizzles ( or maybe always has been?) I'll be surprised if they are able to challenge C/B but look forward to seeing how things turn out at SA.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes it is allowed to cross the midline during twizzles. The crossing pattern is one of the allowed features to qualify for level 4

bramweld

Record Breaker
Just watched this Shibs FD for the first time since watching live during Nepela and am no more impressed than upon my first viewing. I find it somewhat mediocre and am really disappointed at how very far apart they were skating. The first time I thought the twizzles were cool, but now I don't think they were well integrated into the dance. I'm not sure of all the rules regarding twizzles, but thought it's illegal to skate clear across the midline the way they did. Anyone know if that is now allowed with twizzles ( or maybe always has been?) I'll be surprised if they are able to challenge C/B but look forward to seeing how things turn out at SA.

I am beginning to think that this is something you have to have a real talent for or something you acquire after many, many years of work.

bramweld

Record Breaker
They've been skating together for 10 years.

Well there goes that hypothesis.

The way I see it is, Marina is no magician but she is probably the best poser out there. When inspired she can really show off the best qualities within a pair. However when she finds that sweet spot she tends to just replay it over and over again. I am really impressed by the Shibs' gala this year. Their actual programs not so much. But could this simply be the result of the COP? Elements rather than actual dance? Nah, Lauzon and his team have been putting out some great programs. They just need the right talent.

Dots

Final Flight

The synchronicity of their twizzles has always been one the best we have seen from any ice dance couple. This year they have elevated that particular element into an amazing highlight. It should easily be one of their best elements, and it is.