25th Volvo Open Cup 2014 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

25th Volvo Open Cup 2014

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Graham & Jack Newberry have competed at what used to be called the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA, USA. They were really very good there!

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014165.htm

They train in London, GBR, with their dad.

Unfortunately, not a good skate from Graham. He was skating to "Night On Bald Mountain", and I think he would have preferred to be up a mountain! He had at least 2 falls, and possibly a third (a laptop was blocking the view of the camera),

He's dropped from the 5th he had after the SP to 8th overall (just behind the new top Brit, Harry Mattick, who I didn't see)

But, Graham's still a comfortable 14 points ahead of his brother, so he keeps the bragging rights over the dinner table! ;)

Oh well, better luck next time

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
First group of Senior Free Dance has finished, and Reed/Rogov have overtaken Bernardi/Giacomelli.

Didn't know that Federica had split with Chris Moir. But, it's good to see that she has a new partner, even if I've never heard of him before!

As for Allison, I haven't seen her in a couple of years (last time I saw her, she was still with Otar). But, boys she is getting VERY like Cathy!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just watched the leaders after the SP, Testa / Csolley, and saw something which I have never seen before:

a costume change in a competition routine!

Basically, Federica was wearing a dark top, and Lukas pulled it down to her skirt to reveal a chequered top.

Very risky. Like, imagine if it had gone wrong! :eek:

It paid off, though. They are still leading at the moment.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ach! Forgot to transfer over to a new window towards the end of the warm-up, so missed the end of Paliakova / Bochkov's FS.

Does anybody know - has Maria got engaged? It's just she was showing off a ring to the camera when she was waiting for the results.

If she has, he's a very lucky guy! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And that is the Senior competitions from the Volvo Open finished for another year. I had never watched these championships before, but I was really impressed with them. Although I only watched today's Senior competitions, I really enjoyed what I saw.

I'll have to try to catch up with the Short Programmes sometime.

Is there any way to find videos from Ladies competition? :)

The following was posted in response to somebody who posted the same question on the livestream itself:

msiudek said:
check youtube channel from diodio0013plus

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
First group of Senior Free Dance has finished, and Reed/Rogov have overtaken Bernardi/Giacomelli.

Didn't know that Federica had split with Chris Moir. But, it's good to see that she has a new partner, even if I've never heard of him before!

As for Allison, I haven't seen her in a couple of years (last time I saw her, she was still with Otar). But, boys she is getting VERY like Cathy!

CaroLiza_fan

what is this suppose to mean please????

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

CaroLiza_fan

what is this suppose to mean please????

Federica Bernardi used to skate with Canada's Chris Moir, representing Italy. They were still skating together at last season's Italian Championships. But at some stage between then and now, the partnership must have broken up, as Federica is now skating with Saverio Giacomelli.

I have never come across Saverio before, so I know absolutely nothing about him.

I don't know if Chris Moir has a new partner, or whether he has retired (he is 27). On a similar note, I don't know if he is related to Scott Moir.

As you probably realise, Allison Reed is the younger sister of Japan's too Ice Dancers, Cathy and Chris Reed.

When they were younger, you could see a bit of a similarity between Allison and Cathy. But, now that they are getting older, they are getting more and more alike!

Allison used to skate with Otar Japaridze for Georgia. But they split in 2012, and she is now skating with Vasili Rogov for Israel.

Hope this clears things up.

CaroLiza_fan

Jeff_Kenya

Spectator
Does anybody know - has Maria got engaged? It's just she was showing off a ring to the camera when she was waiting for the results.

If she has, he's a very lucky guy! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

No she just said, mom, look I've broke my hand. Unfortunately she felt hard on the throw and I think she really injured her hand cause she could barely move it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No she just said, mom, look I've broke my hand. Unfortunately she felt hard on the throw and I think she really injured her hand cause she could barely move it.

Sorry for mis-understanding what her waving movement meant (I really gotta learn some Russian!)

Awww. That sounds awfully sore!

Well done to her for keeping going, and for keeping smiling afterwards!

Get well soon Maria!

CaroLiza_fan

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I was surprised by the performances of Andrei Nevskiy and Yuri Beliaev. Both are huge but don't look too awkward out on the ice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Federica Bernardi used to skate with Canada's Chris Moir, representing Italy. ...
I don't know if Chris Moir has a new partner, or whether he has retired (he is 27). On a similar note, I don't know if he is related to Scott Moir.

Christopher M-i-o-r is the correct spelling. Presumably no relation to Scott Moir. (Training together in Canton was just happenstance, I would guess.)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Christopher M-i-o-r is the correct spelling. Presumably no relation to Scott Moir. (Training together in Canton was just happenstance, I would guess.)

Oops! Methinks me must have been reading too quickly one time, and read it wrong. And unfortunately it got stuck in my head wrong!

Now the question is - how do I get it unstuck?! :laugh:

There again, I mis-read Kirsten Moore-Towers' name wrong the first time I saw her and Dylan, and for years thought she was called "Kristen". And it was only a year or so ago (after joining this forum ;) ) that I discovered the truth.

Thankfully, that mistake has now got unstuck, so there is hope!

Thanks for the correction, Golden. As always, I appreciate it.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
diodio0013plus has a lot of the ice dance competition on youtube. I have added these vid links to the OP.

I haven't found the ladies as yet.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Some other impressions

Kim and Minov do not need an automatic host entry. They are more than good enough to qualify on their own.

Yakushina and Nevskiy have got to be the whitest team ever. And how does she breathe with that collar?

The Uzbeks win the recycled costumes award. The SD costumes were from last year and the FD costumes were from various Sinitsina and Zhiganshin programs.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have a most of the dance, a fair amount of the men and pairs, and the senior ladies SP videos linked on the OP. I will keep looking for
The ladies LP. Ustream is not showing any archives for Volvo Cup.

Last edited: