Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1431 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's great that she is keeping herself physically active in this difficult time of social distancing. :thumbsup:

Fluture

Record Breaker
And yet another interview (translated in the RLT) with insinuations that Zhenya could have skated with her broken boot, it wasn‘t all so bad. Only then to rush and say: oh no no, let‘s believe her and “accept her failures“. Yeah. Sure.

“I had a boy who jumped triples with his broken boots.“

Really, Sherlock? What a surprise then that this is just what Zhenya did in the SP. But no, it‘s totally illogical to assume she did her best in the SP and this made the boot situation worse and she didn‘t want to risk her health and career for a National championship two years away from the Olympics. :rolleye:

I know I shouldn‘t spend time worrying over this but it‘s so infuriating for so many reasons.

No, of course she didn‘t want to skate, this was all a big plan. It‘s not like she could have earned herself a spot on the National team and gone to Euros if it wasn‘t for the boots. It‘s not like her SB was only one point below the eventual Bronze Medalist. Oh, and it‘s not like SO MANY skaters struggled with broken boots this season. Daniel Grassl, Stephen Gogolev, Alexander Samarin just a few who come to mind. The literal same thing happened to Daniel at the JGPF, only he was able to get new boots for the FS. And yet he still struggled, even with the new boots, it was still dangerous for him to skate. And we all saw what happened to Stephen at Junior Worlds when his skate broke. He could have seriously injured himself.

And yet there are still people (and it’s not some random comments on the internet, this guy was an Olympic Champ) making comments like this (idc that there was that weak “let’s believe her“ thrown in at the end. The implications were quite clear) and talk about failure. There was no failure from Zhenya‘s side at RusNats. Her boots failed her. She had the worst possible luck. And yet she showed bravery and spirit and competed a clean SP despite boots that literally had her ankles rolling around in them, totally unsupported.

This woman has done so much for the sport, not only in her country but all over the world. She‘s a competitor and she‘s a fighter and has proven herself against all the odds many times before. Anyone who seriously believes that this girl, this woman, would withdraw from a competition without explicit danger to her health is simply delusional. She doesn‘t need our pity but she deserves our admiration.

There. I said it. Rant over. Now I feel better. :laugh2:

Let‘s go back to something positive again, like Zhenya AGAIN showing her courage and determination at last year‘s Worlds.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-CqrhPI0vf/?igshid=bvbguldbm8qr

Fluture

Record Breaker
Placebo, you‘re absolutely right. So now I have something positive to share. Reading this made me very, very happy. It‘s from Team.moonbear on their very first flashmob in support of Zhenya. You can read it yourself on the account but it‘s such a beautiful story it needs to be shared in words here too:

”We also decided to share one story. It was at the Russian Championship in Saransk in December 2018. You probably remember that hard day - Friday, the Short Program... then all the spectators in the arena, without saying a word, showed how much they love and support Zhenya. But, (when we were) leaving in complete silence, worried to tears, we went to a nearby flower shop and ordered a huge bouquet of roses. While we were waiting for it, we thought only about one thi nu: How to help? How to support Zhenya for the Free program? We just HAVE to do something! Flowers! Many flowers! So that everyone can throw them onto the ice! Let‘s post on the internet, maybe people will help at least a little?

In less than 5 minutes, messages and transfers were coming from all over the world. At that time we did not understand at all what to do and how to organize everything, but already people could not be stopped. All evening we talked to everyone who responded, endlessly called the flower shop to agree on more flowers, the phone did not fall silent until the morning.

Only when we woke up in the morning, we realized what we had signed up for and that there was no turning back. God, what to do now? How to hand it out? What if they don‘t take it? What if they take it but don‘t throw it? Next was a marathon with drawing a poster on the back of the banner, with packing flowers because the flower shop could not cope on time, but the worst was yet to come - all the flowers had to be handed out to strangers!

It was really scary for us but all the embarrassment passed almost immediately, people responded with such warmth, began to approach themselves, to being friends and neighbors in the stands, to thank with the words: “For Zhenya, anything - we cheer for her!“ It was unbelievable we had never felt such energy before, but the most amazing thing was ahead. After Zhenya finished her incredible program, all people stood up and 500 roses flew onto the ice!!! We stood, clapping and screaming, and could not believe our eyes.

So, our first flashmob took place and we felt that we are one big family, all of you. At that championship, a lot was for the first time for Zhenya, and for us, and for all the fans and it will forever remain in our memory. Thanks to Zhenya for that fight and for those emotions, thanks to everyone who participated, supported and simply remained partial! Together we are the power!“

Not gonna lie, I had tears in my eyes reading this. It‘s so touching and beautiful and it shows that Zhenya, most of all, is LOVED in Russia and all over the world. No matter what some random, bitter trolls on the internet might say, they don‘t count anyway. Because when she really needed it, people went out of their way to support her. Because she has the whole arena screaming and cheering and rooting for her whenever and wherever she competes. She is loved. And seeing this makes it much easier to smile and ignore the RLT and other toxic places. That‘s all. :)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Placebo, you‘re absolutely right. So now I have something positive to share. Reading this made me very, very happy. It‘s from Team.moonbear on their very first flashmob in support of Zhenya. You can read it yourself on the account but it‘s such a beautiful story it needs to be shared in words here too:

”We also decided to share one story. It was at the Russian Championship in Saransk in December 2018. You probably remember that hard day - Friday, the Short Program... then all the spectators in the arena, without saying a word, showed how much they love and support Zhenya. But, (when we were) leaving in complete silence, worried to tears, we went to a nearby flower shop and ordered a huge bouquet of roses. While we were waiting for it, we thought only about one thi nu: How to help? How to support Zhenya for the Free program? We just HAVE to do something! Flowers! Many flowers! So that everyone can throw them onto the ice! Let‘s post on the internet, maybe people will help at least a little?

In less than 5 minutes, messages and transfers were coming from all over the world. At that time we did not understand at all what to do and how to organize everything, but already people could not be stopped. All evening we talked to everyone who responded, endlessly called the flower shop to agree on more flowers, the phone did not fall silent until the morning.

Only when we woke up in the morning, we realized what we had signed up for and that there was no turning back. God, what to do now? How to hand it out? What if they don‘t take it? What if they take it but don‘t throw it? Next was a marathon with drawing a poster on the back of the banner, with packing flowers because the flower shop could not cope on time, but the worst was yet to come - all the flowers had to be handed out to strangers!

It was really scary for us but all the embarrassment passed almost immediately, people responded with such warmth, began to approach themselves, to being friends and neighbors in the stands, to thank with the words: “For Zhenya, anything - we cheer for her!“ It was unbelievable we had never felt such energy before, but the most amazing thing was ahead. After Zhenya finished her incredible program, all people stood up and 500 roses flew onto the ice!!! We stood, clapping and screaming, and could not believe our eyes.

So, our first flashmob took place and we felt that we are one big family, all of you. At that championship, a lot was for the first time for Zhenya, and for us, and for all the fans and it will forever remain in our memory. Thanks to Zhenya for that fight and for those emotions, thanks to everyone who participated, supported and simply remained partial! Together we are the power!“

Not gonna lie, I had tears in my eyes reading this. It‘s so touching and beautiful and it shows that Zhenya, most of all, is LOVED in Russia and all over the world. No matter what some random, bitter trolls on the internet might say, they don‘t count anyway. Because when she really needed it, people went out of their way to support her. Because she has the whole arena screaming and cheering and rooting for her whenever and wherever she competes. She is loved. And seeing this makes it much easier to smile and ignore the RLT and other toxic places. That‘s all. :)

I just rewatched it. The rain of flowers is so beautiful and impressive. :)