Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1341 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

ElvieHope

Rinkside
Oh god, finally watched the gala and can't find enough words to describe how much I'm in love with the program! :love: You can see she connects to the song on a personal level, it was a mesmerizing performance!

Yes, she literally speaks with ice, with her reflection on the ice. As she breaks out of a straitjacket, and then voluntarily envelops herself back with a smile. In general, you can interpret the ex in different ways, everyone will see something different. I like it.:love:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hello posters in the Evgenia Medvedeva Fan Fest!

Just a reminder to comply with Goldenskate Fan Fest guidelines:

Fan Fests
The Fan Fest (FF) is a place for fans to celebrate and praise their favorite skaters—not a place to pick apart their technique, skills, etc. As always, be respectful to each other's threads when posting. Keep discussions in the respective threads and do not bring up other skaters with the intent to bash, debate, critique, and/or compare. Keep in mind that even fans of the same skater may hold a diverse array of viewpoints and thoughts.

Do not bash other skaters or coaches in a FF.
Do not troll or "police" fans in the FF to create discord (report only posts that are breaching GS Forum Guidelines - do not use this function to call on every post that just says things you do not agree with).
Do not call out or otherwise refer to other posters or fans, directly or indirectly, in a derogatory manner.
Do not use FF as a combat zone for 'fan wars' (using other skaters' names for the sake of continuously arguing with each other).

For Zhenya fans: Do not compare or critique other skaters in Zhenya's Fan Fest.

For visitors: please do not criticize Zhenya, Zhenya's fans or praise other skaters as better than Zhenya in Zhenya's Fan Fest.

Posts in violation of Fan Fest guidelines will be hidden.

Thank you!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Zhenya had a great weekend in Moscow and really stabilized things figure skating wise and scored 225 without a triple axel or quad. That is almost impossible today.. Only she and Alina can do that. Now Evgenia is about to turn 20 years old with so much ahead of her on and off the ice.

skatingfan200

Medalist
The athlete was harassed for a long time by failures, some experts began to write off the skater. Medvedeva herself continued to work. After the stage in Moscow, in an interview with TASS, Eugenia spoke about the nuances of life in Canada, about her work with Orser, Tracy Wilson and choreographer She-Lynn Bourne, her changed attitude to the Games silver, her fears and plans for her upcoming birthday.

- Zhenya, your birthday is coming soon. How do you plan to celebrate the 20th anniversary?

- There was an idea to go with friends to a restaurant, or to a movie, or just to go for a walk, or go to some club, but I realized that all this could turn into a photo shoot, and not a birthday. In the end, we decided - we’ll rent a room with our friends and just spend this day together, chatting, having fun, listening to music, eating pizza. And yes, in anticipation of your question, I will say - I love tasty and unhealthy food.

Advertisement 03

- A classic pizza pajama party?

- Exactly. Favorite Pizza - Four Cheeses. How delicious it is! True, here is one piece - this is already a half-day norm of calorie.

“And then back to Canada?”

- Yes, on November 20 I’m flying back.

- After a short program at the Moscow Grand Prix in the mix zone, I asked you how long you intend to continue working in Canada. Your answer is "While the legs are walking, while the arms are moving." I even asked again, if you remember.

- The fact is that I found my place. With its difficulties and difficulties, but Toronto is really the place where I would like to work until the end of my career in women's single skating.

- So what is next?

- I have many ways, many ideas. In my head there is no emptiness in this regard. There is plan A, plan B, depending on how it goes on. I think about the future, but as they say, if you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans. I don’t have that - "I don’t know what I will do after sports." I know what, and I will do more than now.

- Here, in Moscow, I heard a phrase from you: "Figure skating is my job." But it was not always like that.

- It's true. But let's be honest. Now I live in Canada, and most of it - more precisely, most of the costs from my prize money are open amounts, everyone can see them on the website of the International Union of Skaters - I spend on accommodation, food, ice, and coaches. Everything is scheduled. So yes - this is my job.

Many people, by the way, ask me a question: “Eugene, you were third at the World Cup - it's such money! Why don’t you allow yourself to go to Louis Vuitton or Chanel?” But my main clothes are still black leggings and a training jacket. I'd rather spend what I really need.

- Often I recall our interview in Marseille after the Grand Prix finals. Then she asked you what you cannot live without in this life. The answer then shocked me, of course: "I will never go out without makeup and manicure." The manicure is in place, I see. But outwardly you are completely different - a minimum of makeup.

- In Marseille, if you remember, I had healthy eyelashes, eyeliner. But now I like myself more. And yet, yes, I don’t show up without make-up, I just try to emphasize my facial features. And before that I changed them all the time - the shape of the eyebrows, the shape of the eyes with arrows "to the ears." Now, for me, the foundation is basic care - creams, masks, peels.

- Let me guess - Japanese or Korean?

- And here is no, do not believe. They do not fit my skin, she does not accept them. So I’m nevertheless closer to European brands, only this year I realized this.

- Are there any female “Wishlist” that you promise yourself in the future?

“You know, there is a Yorkdale mall in Toronto.” There is an avenue of boutiques. So sometimes I walk, look around and think: "Well, what a beautiful dress!" And then - "so what will I do with them, where will I go to them?" I just have two routes: the house - “Toronto Cricket Club” (training center, where it does - approx. TASS) or “Toronto Cricket Club” - the house. That's it, I don’t go anywhere else. So just admire, that's all.

- Is it expensive to live in Canada?

- Not complaining.

- They didn’t think, but what would happen if they didn’t decide after the Olympics to fly to Canada?

- I can’t even imagine it. Truth. Basically, I considered one way. More precisely, two - either finish everything, or leave for Canada. I decided in favor of Canada, and it was the sharpest turn in my life.

“Are you worried when you return to Russia?”

- Now I'm used to it.

- Eugene, I often recall the interview with your mother that we recorded back in Pyeongchang - right after your performance at the Olympics. There she said that you won your silver with a leg injury. Remember those times?

- Constantly. It will now stay with me forever. Like the eternal fear of serious injury. This is probably one of my most serious nightmares - trauma and lack of a chance for recovery. When you understand, you have to go out and fight, but in the end you will break. And in the literal sense. It's like jumping into the abyss, into the well. But you have to jump there. But that was exactly what I myself wanted.

But now I have recovered, I am alive, everything is in order. Today I live listening to my body.

“Do you often hold those two Pyeongchang silver medals in your hands?”

- I have them in Moscow, and yes - I hold them in my hands when I arrive. Because thanks to them, today I have what I have - amazing people nearby. But fate would have been different; I would never have met them.

- It turns out that what many then perceived as your personal tragedy turned your life upside down?

- I initially thought that for the worse, but you see how it turned out? All the way around

“It has been a year and a half since the beginning of your collaboration with Brian.” He approximately such terms to the first result and declared. And so it happened.

- I can’t say exactly why such a period was supposed by them. But all the time I just want to. But in the end, as he said, it happened. I'm incredibly proud of what Brian and Tracy did for me.

In general, it’s a big mystery to me how they tolerate me like that, but they continue to believe in me. But not every trainer will withstand so many difficulties with his athlete, will continue to walk, holding his hand along such a thorny path.

We go together every day, and it's great. I really feel like Brian is very worried about me. It is enough to look at him in the corner of Kiss and Cry (a specially designated area for skaters and coaches, where they expect their marks for rentals - approx. TASS) - how nervous he is. It costs a lot.

- I recently watched videos of your work with choreographer She-Lynn Bourne. It seems that you and her already on the “crust” understand each other.

- This is generally amazing, what we do with it. I never thought that we with any choreographer would be able to work together like that.

- I know how tired you are of questions about your plans for the execution of the ultra-si elements - quadruple, triple axels and others like them. But still I have to ask about it.

- I'm working on it.

“And that's fine.” In addition to competing with rivals, I was very “hooked” on two points after the Moscow stage of the series. The first one, when after renting your short program in Kiss and Cry, with a gesture, you asked the fans to meet the performance of the next participant, American Mariah Bell, with silence. And the second is your video with stage winner Sasha Trusova and her, to put it mildly, huge pink bear, with whom she squeezed into the bus to the hotel.

- But you can’t imagine how funny it was - I saw little Sasha with this bear, shouted “Sasha, stop!”, Grabbed the camera. From the side there was a feeling that it’s not Sasha’s bear, but he’s on its paws.

As for Bell, I just put myself in her place. For example, before renting, I need silence. And at that moment, when Mariah went out on the ice, from the stands still came: "Zhenya, we love you." I was very pleased to hear that, but Bell was already called to the start. So that was just basic respect. I respect everyone and everyone who goes on the ice - we are all great hard workers, and deserve the audience to see our work.

- After your performance at the Moscow Grand Prix, there were a lot of expert comments. We, journalists, love to reinforce our thoughts with the opinions of erudite experts. Most of all I remember the words of Alexei Urmanov to you: "There are stories, reading which, until the last you do not want to close the book. This is the story of Zhenya Medvedeva."

- I saw this post. And I was very pleased to read it. I also really do not want to close my book. I am sincere in what I do. While the legs are holding.

(google translate-Tass)

skatingfan200

Medalist
New interview with Zhenya:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ALkB9IIGB/?igshid=b9p6bgjve1o9

Honestly, this one made me cry a little—she talks a little about her Olympic injury and her fear of future ones. But it also made me smile so much—she’s obviously so happy where she is, and she’s learning to love her (and enjoy whatever food she likes �� )

Jumping on broken bones was a hard life lesson for her. I remember that her German doctor said "if she continue like this, she is risking her career end because of a broken body".
No wonder she is saying "It will now stay with me forever. Like the eternal fear of serious injury. This is probably one of my most serious nightmares - trauma and lack of a chance for recovery. When you understand, you have to go out and fight, but in the end you will break. And in the literal sense. It's like jumping into the abyss, into the well. But you have to jump there."

It´s good that she has even now a sleep schedule. "I'm not ready to jump on broken bones again. I want to learn a quadruple, but keep my health. I know my body, it is fragile, I have to follow everything - regimen, nutrition, even a sleep schedule."

Yesterday she said also something about her lutz. Here I have to disagree, it´s basically the same as two seasons ago.

"Having looked at my lutz two seasons ago and now, I will say that he has become better. I do not pretend to be a clean rib, but I know that many athletes perform lutz with the same technique as me. But I still work on it. I hope he gets better, ”said Medvedeva."

AudreyElise

Rinkside
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. I'm a huge fan of Evgenia's, and I'm so happy for her! I'm starting to see her as another Carolina Kostner, a beautiful artist who continues to compete because she loves the sport. I truly believe she'll become a legend in the sport, and will become an athlete that everyone remembers, just like Carolina, Michelle, Irina, etc.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. I'm a huge fan of Evgenia's, and I'm so happy for her! I'm starting to see her as another Carolina Kostner, a beautiful artist who continues to compete because she loves the sport. I truly believe she'll become a legend in the sport, and will become an athlete that everyone remembers, just like Carolina, Michelle, Irina, etc.

Welcome to Evgenia's fan fest! May she indeed become a legendary athlete, whom everyone remembers!

Thank you for sharing the interview, kahndrada, and thank you for the translation, skatingfan200. I'm glad she isn't going to jump on broken bones any longer, and that she has chosen to listen to her body. Much wiser to learn that at a young age, than to keep on pushing, and re-injure herself.

My initial reaction to seeing these pictures was "Aw, I wish I was Russian too!" :laugh: https://twitter.com/MedvedevaNation/status/1196043060767055872?s=19

Love these pictures! Seeing the smiles on their faces is wonderful. The flower crowns are beautiful, and co-ordinate very nicely with their costumes! Also, the image of both Evgenia and Sasha skating with the flag billowing behind them makes me teary-eyed with happiness. It's such an amazing photo of them both.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
So wonderful to read these posts! Welcome, everyone!

Well todays short might have made me into a zhenya stan because that short program is magnificent. The way she feels the music is just so great to watch. It really moved me(and she did as well) a well deserved first after the short. Honestly, before this season ends I could very well become a huge fan of her

Lurker here, just stopping by to comment as today was so special. I am the first to admit that I became a fan of Zhenya specifically at the time she started to struggle (didn't used to love her skating, objected on principle to some of the Eteri school's methods and rumored methods, etc. etc.) From the moment she didn't just go quietly into the night after the Olympics she captured my attention and watching her take control of her own skating (and the artistic development that living through tough times have endowed it with) have made me a genuine fan of what she puts on the ice. What an unbelievably strong, brave, talented, intelligent young woman. Usually I have favorite skaters that I like to endow with those qualities in my mind, even when I'm not always sure it's true. But Zhenya is the living embodiment of those qualities and it's what's made her one of my favorite skaters. Listening to her press conference today I was struck by how deeply self aware she is; she contextualized her public struggles, the changes she went through, and her process of coming to embrace this new chapter so eloquently I would have thought she was like 40. That she kept going after the Olympics made me a fan (and I did like the AK program); that she went through the raw humiliation of the first part of last season and did not give up, persevered towards a world bronze, then had the awful start to this season and kept going to lay down this fantastic performance today. It must be so incredibly difficult to be an underdog so cruelly soon after having been dominant for two full seasons. Victories now are in some ways so much more impressive than all those victories back then. She has the spirit of Winston Churchill and I'm starting to also think she may also have his ability to play a mean long game, which is the only way for her realistically to get back on top again. It will take a patience and willpower beyond what most young women her age have, but she truly is a warrior spirit. I respect her so VERY much and her courage and vulnerability have added so much raw beauty to her skating. On a less somber note, I thought it was super cute how she rested her head on Orser's shoulder; I am so glad they have such a great coaching relationship, even through all of these challenging times. It's another thing she has been very mature about: identifying and not wavering in the belief that she is in the right learning place, even at the times when there have been no short-term validations. She's just a remarkable person. As a 39-year-old grown adult dealing with some tough times I'm half embarrassed that I'm taking life lessons from a teenager!

I feel as though today a new Evgenia was born. Now we get to watch this new persona grow.

It wasn't a case of her returning to what she was. This is a different skater with a stronger foundation to grow from. As she said, she is not going to jump on broken bones any more. She will build a body that can withstand the demands. Brian and Tracy will build the skating technique that produces the results. For me, it is truly a breath taking athletic journey to witness. No disrespect to Tiger Woods but if Evgenia can climb this mountain and claim a World or Olympic Gold, it will be jaw dropping fantastic.

Even though Zhenya's out of the gpf I feel like this performance was all I've wanted for her. After how much she's struggled, to be able to put up a performance like that, in Russia, and to articulate how hard it has been for her and how much she has grown... Her mental strength is off the charts, I can't wait to see what she does next!

Hello Everyone! I’ve been reading this forum for a while now and I thought I could finally write something myself :) I became Evgenia’s fan last year when I accidentally came across her Sailor Moon EX on YouTube. From the first sight I thought what a wonderful and talented girl she was. I started to search for more Evgenia’s performances and my appreciation for her grew more and more. My playlist is full of the songs she skated to, I have her picture on the wall and I look at her every time I do my workout and think to myself what a fighter she is and that she never gives up. I even enrolled myself in adult ice skating classes and that’s ALL because of her! I hope I can become a part of this community and show her my support and love :)

On Friday and yesterday she was just amazing! Now I’m waiting for her performance at gala, I can’t wait to see it :)

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend everyone!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Belated Congrats to Zhenya for winning the Silver Medal with Gold medal performances! She was the highlight
of the ladies competition for me! :love:

Fluture

Record Breaker
New interview with Zhenya:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ALkB9IIGB/?igshid=b9p6bgjve1o9

Honestly, this one made me cry a little—she talks a little about her Olympic injury and her fear of future ones. But it also made me smile so much—she’s obviously so happy where she is, and she’s learning to love herself (and enjoy whatever food she likes 😊 )

Such an incredible interview. Insightful, raw, mature, honest. I do not have words beyond that right now. I‘m very emotional right now but it‘s positive. She is on the right path. I‘ve never been both more certain and relieved.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany
If you are confused by Zhenya's insta story post. Here is an explanation
https://twitter.com/Leelona/status/1196495866657263616?s=20
https://twitter.com/MedvedevaNation/status/1196496459203563521?s=20
Article: "It can be assumed that the root of everything is amorous affairs and sport has ceased to occupy a dominant role in Medvedeva’s head. It may very well be that the girl is worried not only about her health, but she has fear for her unborn child.”

Zhenya on insta: "Who's daddy?"

We all know it's Yuzu :rofl2:

Vemvane

On the Ice
New interview with Brian. He addresses the 4S, their approaches etc.
https://youtu.be/nlLfOH5hgqI

Thank you for sharing this interview. It's nice to hear Brian's thoughts and get some insight into the approach he and Evgenia are taking. I really do like the little story he tells about Yuzuru, and how they focused on improving his skating skills. That slow but steady refinement of technique I think would help in the long run, and hopefully adds to a skater's longevity. Also, all the little photos they intercut with the video, showing Brian and Evgenia laughing and smiling together, were heartwarming.

If you are confused by Zhenya's insta story post. Here is an explanation
https://twitter.com/Leelona/status/1196495866657263616?s=20

:reye: :laugh: Oh my goodness me, the things people come up with!