Evgenia Medvedeva

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Scott512

Record Breaker
This is so great for many reasons.
CSKA was her first rink and she enjoyed skating there last year.
With the pandemic, we don't know how traveling and this season will go. Buyanova may be at the boards for her at test skates and Nationals.

I'm not sure it's wise for her to go to Canada in August, quarantine for 2 weeks and then fly back to Russia for test skates and have to quarantine again. Probably better to go to Canada after test skates.

Evgenia will probably be in Russia for months. As you so pertinently pointed out Jeanie it might be very difficult to go back and forth a couple times before test skates a couple months from now with the pandemic basically running wild in this world. Zhenya already got stuck in Japan for months now she can get her training underway and get comfortable again and have her coaches culture and zoom meetings or whatever she uses.

The Junior Grand Prix season has already been scrapped to the dismay of many. There are usually very few fans at these events anyway but this is a sign that countries aren't going to open up their borders anytime soon. Even if the Grand Prix season is changed or cancelled altogether there could very well be many quality competitions in Russia with all the Russian Cup series events St Petersburg cup Moscow cup and of course Nationals. At least Zhenya will have several events to skate this fall in her homeland.

Maia96

On the Ice
Evgenia will probably be in Russia for months. As you so pertinently pointed out Jeanie it might be very difficult to go back and forth a couple times before test skates a couple months from now with the pandemic basically running wild in this world. Zhenya already got stuck in Japan for months now she can get her training underway and get comfortable again and have her coaches culture and zoom meetings or whatever she uses.

The Junior Grand Prix season has already been scrapped to the dismay of many. There are usually very few fans at these events anyway but this is a sign that countries aren't going to open up their borders anytime soon. Even if the Grand Prix season is changed or cancelled altogether there could very well be many quality competitions in Russia with all the Russian Cup series events St Petersburg cup Moscow cup and of course Nationals. At least Zhenya will have several events to skate this fall in her homeland.

I don't think it's convenient for her to stay away from her training base that long, anyway. She has already said that being away from her coaches is difficult for her, for the training process and the state of mind. Perhaps even opening the borders the GP season doesn't take place. Or by opening the borders with certain restrictions, she can get to Canada with some special permission (something similar to what Jason did although his was easier).

But surely even if there is no season Russia will organize their Nationals.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I was hopping that she could train with mishin or plushy ... mishin knows how to teach 3A and 4 to women .. and plushy now has trusova... that could give her some motivation...
Boyanova has power that 's true but I don't think can teach her 3A or 4 that what zhenya needs ...

And if she needs to get quarantine every time she changes place ... wil be very bad for her training ... so better stay in russia

Maia96

On the Ice
This is so great for many reasons.
CSKA was her first rink and she enjoyed skating there last year.
With the pandemic, we don't know how traveling and this season will go. Buyanova may be at the boards for her at test skates and Nationals.

I'm not sure it's wise for her to go to Canada in August, quarantine for 2 weeks and then fly back to Russia for test skates and have to quarantine again. Probably better to go to Canada after test skates.

I'm not so concerned with test skates because there is no obligation to go to them. There may be other ways to perform that control.

Although it's good that she has ice and someone who controls her in Russia isn't the same. For a short time, like a month is fine but a long time wouldn't be convenient. She recently got used to a training process that is completely different from Russian. And spending so much time training with a coach whose ways of working are so different wouldn't be good for Zhenya. Besides that psychologically it would be a very exhausting situation.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't think it's convenient for her to stay away from her training base that long, anyway. She has already said that being away from her coaches is difficult for her, for the training process and the state of mind. Perhaps even opening the borders the GP season doesn't take place. Or by opening the borders with certain restrictions, she can get to Canada with some special permission (something similar to what Jason did although his was easier).

But surely even if there is no season Russia will organize their Nationals.

You made salient points. It's just up in the air with everything the season individual skaters like evgenia and what the future holds for this Sport and the world. I'm hoping and praying people come to their senses everywhere especially where I live and start to wear masks whenever they leave the house and use sanitizer when they get in and out of their car. The death rate has gone down by 90% in the last two months in America from Coronavirus but the cases are going up because people are not social distancing and wearing masks. Younger people are getting coronavirus now.. what about the Beijing Olympics in 19 months? Unreal. One thing is Canada and other countries want protesters to come to the Olympics and that's the craziest idea I've ever heard. Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people attend the Olympics winter and summer and you don't want thousands more they're spreading coronavirus or whatever virus exist in 2022. People really need to come to their senses. I know she is only human but Zhenya always seems like she's in control and poised.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I was hopping that she could train with mishin or plushy ... mishin knows how to teach 3A and 4 to women .. and plushy now has trusova... that could give her some motivation...
Boyanova has power that 's true but I don't think can teach her 3A or 4 that what zhenya needs ...

And if she needs to get quarantine every time she changes place ... wil be very bad for her training ... so better stay in russia
Good points. Especially about Buyanova not being able to help Evgenia with a triple axel or quad the way other coaches in Russia could. Also yes when she returns to Canada she'll probably have to be quarantined for 14 days. Damn.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Someone posted in the RLT that RusFed already informed their skaters that there might not be an international season at all. And if that‘s the case, they‘ll try to substitute the GP series with internal competitions such as the Russian Cup. I wonder if it even makes sense for Zhenya to go back to Canada then. Because if there really is no international season, she‘d have to stay in Russia and attend the competitions with Buyanova, as I doubt Brian or Tracy would be able to come to Russia and stay there for an indefinite period of time. :think:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone posted in the RLT that RusFed already informed their skaters that there might not be an international season at all. And if that‘s the case, they‘ll try to substitute the GP series with internal competitions such as the Russian Cup. I wonder if it even makes sense for Zhenya to go back to Canada then. Because if there really is no international season, she‘d have to stay in Russia and attend the competitions with Buyanova, as I doubt Brian or Tracy would be able to come to Russia and stay there for an indefinite period of time. :think:

I think it's best for her to stay in Russia until we know when the international season will start. Doing domestic competitions will keep her competitive. And Buyanova may not be able to help her with the jumps, but someone else at CSKA maybe able to. And it looks like CSKA is open, so maybe we will be able to see Evgenia on ice soon. :yay:

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think it's best for her to stay in Russia until we know when the international season will start. Doing domestic competitions will keep her competitive. And Buyanova may not be able to help her with the jumps, but someone else at CSKA maybe able to. And it looks like CSKA is open, so maybe we will be able to see Evgenia on ice soon. :yay:

Danielian trains at CSKA with Buyanova and he‘s got a great 4S. So I‘m pretty sure there must be someone there who can help with jumps. Zhenya will hopefully train according to her usual plan at TCC, Buyanova would probably just offer advice and be there to support her at competitions. It wouldn’t be easy, all the other skaters would have their real coaches with them but it sounds like a good enough solution.

I‘m just wondering now because Tracy said her and Brian expect Zhenya back at the end of July and it just doesn‘t sound feasible to me. She‘d have to quarantine again, then train in Canada until the beginning of the season (test skates, so September), arrive early in Moscow for another quarantine and thus lose 2 weeks of training again. All this right before the competitions. How is that ever going to work? :scratch2:

Maia96

On the Ice
You made salient points. It's just up in the air with everything the season individual skaters like evgenia and what the future holds for this Sport and the world. I'm hoping and praying people come to their senses everywhere especially where I live and start to wear masks whenever they leave the house and use sanitizer when they get in and out of their car. The death rate has gone down by 90% in the last two months in America from Coronavirus but the cases are going up because people are not social distancing and wearing masks. Younger people are getting coronavirus now.. what about the Beijing Olympics in 19 months? Unreal. One thing is Canada and other countries want protesters to come to the Olympics and that's the craziest idea I've ever heard. Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people attend the Olympics winter and summer and you don't want thousands more they're spreading coronavirus or whatever virus exist in 2022. People really need to come to their senses. I know she is only human but Zhenya always seems like she's in control and poised.

Well, there is already talk of the possibility that Tokyo 2021 may be canceled. The reason is that the vaccine will take at least a year and although there is no time for everyone to be vaccinated at that time.
The difference between Tokyo 2021 and Beijing 2022 is only 6 months so it's not clear that there is a Beijing 2022. We'll have to wait how long the vaccine takes because it's clear that the virus won't go away on its own.

The Olympics Games are big business, they cannot be done without the public because the losses would be incalculable. So maybe we don't have a Beijing 2022 but a Beijing 2023.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Found this gala skate of Evgenia's from the 2015 GPF in Barcelona, to Corpse Bride: https://youtu.be/71NVcnDE7XU?t=7046. I'd forgotten about this one! I do like her dress in this - it works for the programme, and the cut of the skirt is just so pretty. She's clearly having a lot of fun with the skate as well. The way she ends, by doing the splits in stages, like her strings have been cut, and then the look on her face in that close-up - they make me laugh in delight.

Maia96

On the Ice
RusFed has confirmed that the información on a website that the ISU events have been cancelled is a fake news.

Also Skate Canada has released its Annual Report. According to this report Autumn Classic is on 12-14 September.

Considering that the Russian test skates are on September 12-13, it's clear that this year Zhenya couldn't go to both events like last season. She either would go to the test skates or would go to competing in the Autumn Classic.

So we wait to see what happens after July and if finally there is a season or not.

Fluture

Record Breaker
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSbPPyHIDd/?igshid=1wzniy6nq75il

Bringing this back because it‘s just too glorious. Love Javi‘s comment too. :laugh:

Also, re test skates and Autumn Classics. I wouldn‘t mind her skipping test skates, the fabricated drama and rivalries are just so tiring and last year felt like a screaming match instead of a figure skating event. And I really want her to finally win Gold at ACI. But test skates apparently hold so much importance in Russia so she should probably attend. Best not to anger RusFed...

Fluture

Record Breaker
I also wanted to share this quote here from Zhenya‘s 2016 Worlds FS (BBC commentators) as I find it quite telling:

“I am in awe of her ability to feel every beat of the music and to feel it to the fingertips - while she‘s doing a triple triple combination. Nothing gives way to anything. And at this age to have this ability! And it‘s just... it‘s in her. That‘s who she is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8l2DwnbrTuQ

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also wanted to share this quote here from Zhenya‘s 2016 Worlds FS (BBC commentators) as I find it quite telling:

“I am in awe of her ability to feel every beat of the music and to feel it to the fingertips - while she‘s doing a triple triple combination. Nothing gives way to anything. And at this age to have this ability! And it‘s just... it‘s in her. That‘s who she is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8l2DwnbrTuQ

This is one of my favorite performances of Evgenia 's. I've watched it hundreds of times. :)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
RusFed has confirmed that the información on a website that the ISU events have been cancelled is a fake news.

Also Skate Canada has released its Annual Report. According to this report Autumn Classic is on 12-14 September.

Considering that the Russian test skates are on September 12-13, it's clear that this year Zhenya couldn't go to both events like last season. She either would go to the test skates or would go to competing in the Autumn Classic.

So we wait to see what happens after July and if finally there is a season or not.

I wouldn't mind if Zhenya skipped Autumn Classics, because I am so not ready to wake up at 3AM again because of the time difference haha. Also would not miss the weird camera angles and atmosphere from ACI. I prefer small crowds at Challengers.
Would love if Zhenya went to Nebelhorn this year (if it still takes place. It's possible since small concerts with small crowds etc. are allowed again here (Nebelhorn's crowd is always small/moderate) and big concerts/gatherings could be allowed again at the end of October here, depending on how things develop).