Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1436 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Maia96

On the Ice
“Stay home if you have an opportunity. Because I hadn’t”

Those words sum up everything critics should know. She hadn’t other choice. She didn’t travel to Japan for pleasure, she travelled by obligation. Probably they are work obligations. We have already discussed here that we don’t know the clauses of the contract and what she is obligated to do today even if the show would be cancelled later. But even if those obligations were others, it isn’t for us to know them because they belong to her personal life.

On the other hand, there is an old phrase that says "loved or hated but never ignored." In the world of sports, as in the arts, the magnitude of the importance of the athlete or the artist could be measured by the combination of both qualities. It’s clear that Zhenya doesn’t leave anyone indifferent.

Just because something isn't mandatory doesn't mean it wasn't irresponsible to not follow the government's recommendations. It's not just Zhenya, there are so many people in Canada not following the the self-isolation post travel and stay at home orders. But the problem is Zhenya is an international star and should be setting an example for people who look up to her. And as someone formerly in healthcare, with family and friends still on the frontlines, the type of mask Zhenya is wearing (which has to be fitted to your face to ensure it's effectiveness) should be reserved for healthcare workers dealing with actual COVID patients and not worn to craft stores and on planes. They are in very short supply in Canada right now, especially with the US blocking them from being shipped to us, and it's a bit of a waste as that mask is too high level to be worn in everyday life.

So while I may love what Zhenya does on the ice and generally what she shares about her life to us fans, my opinion on this matter won't change.

Zhenya’s two tiered quarantine strategy effectly determines that she nor her mother is a carrier. She quarantined in Toronto for two weeks and showed no symptoms then traveled to Japan whereupon she is quarantined for another week or two to ensure that she did not become infected during her travels. Also I would assume that the Japanese government would require her to be screened upon arrival and upon leaving quarantine. It’s a very well planned mechanism to ensure that she is not a carrier and beyond your poorly thought out reproach.

Furthermore, concerning her mask, I believe it is one that she has fashioned herself therefore completely negating your criticism that she is irresponsibily using a mask that should be reserved for a healthcare worker. Go Z!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhenya’s two tiered quarantine strategy effectly determines that she nor her mother is a carrier. She quarantined in Toronto for two weeks and showed no symptoms then traveled to Japan whereupon she is quarantined for another week or two to ensure that she did not become infected during her travels. Also I would assume that the Japanese government would require her to be screened upon arrival and upon leaving quarantine. It’s a very well planned mechanism to ensure that she is not a carrier and beyond your poorly thought out reproach.

Furthermore, concerning her mask, I believe it is one that she has fashioned herself therefore completely negating your criticism that she is irresponsibily using a mask that should be reserved for a healthcare worker. Go Z!

Wow! First post. Welcome to Zhenya's fan fest! Post often. :)

pandatours

On the Ice
For which program? And what color green... Hunter, mint or light green?

Maybe white for Alegria, I didn’t really like Peng’s costume for Alegria except for the way the skirt was cut.

Dark green for any program, I don’t think she will choose a bodysuit again for next season but I just want her in dark colors that aren’t black

Maia96

On the Ice
Let‘s talk something else. This is usually the time to discuss costumes and competitions for the next season but since everything‘s so uncertain right now..

Let‘s just do costumes instead. What do you think? We know her music choices already. I would say something bright and lively for the FS and something a bit more dark and dramatic for the SP. Maybe a bit similar to the first Anna Karenina dress (the black one)?

For Masquerade I would like something in red and black or in burgundy and black. For Alegria it’s still not clear to me.

I would like her to work with Satomi Ito again because I love her designs. Also with the designer who made her Libertango dress.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Any idea how long she will stay in Japan? Living and training there for a couple of months until new Russian season starts? Will she have let go of her nice Toronto flat to cut on costs?

Many athletes in small sports live a sort of nomadic life, much like artists, dancers or any other professional in the entertainment business where steady contracts are scarce. Which is exciting and adventurous of course, but offers little economic stability.

Let's hope Yevgeniya keeps us updated, it could be a commercial opening for her while the rest of the world is still in lockdown.

Japan closed its borders to visitors from a number of places, including the US and Canada, effective April 3. The Japanese Prime Minister proclaimed a state of emergency for 7 prefectures, including Tokyo. Apparently under Japanese law, he cannot require people to stay home, only suggest it. So, it’s not clear what that means for skaters - whether they will have practice time, etc. I believe a lot of major tourist attractions are closed. But I don’t know about rinks.

I’m sure Evgenia had good reasons for going. I sincerely hope she remains safe and healthy, and I very much look forward to seeing her skate again in future.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Found some dress inspiration for Zhenya's Masquerade SP.
Which one is your favorite?

Dress 1

Dress 2

Dress 3

Dress 4 (imagine this in burgundy)

Dress 5

Dress 6

Dress 7

Dress 8

Dress 9

Dress 10

Dress 11

That‘s exactly the kind of inspiration we needed! :biggrin:

I choose 5 because this is what I imagined the dress to be like in my head. The black with the glittery collar, it‘s elegant yet a little mysterious, even a bit “deadly“. I love the waltz she chose because it is firstly a great piece of music but also because the atmosphere it creates is so great. Imo, it gives off a grand vibe but it also feels a bit eery, like something really dangerous is about to happen. Can‘t wait to see what she does with it!