Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1354 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I agree with everyone that this season has been insane and, like all of you, my anxiety about Russian Nats is through the roof. But, in a way, the results at the GPF gave me hope for Zhenya. Aleona came in first without a single quad - proof that it is possible to beat the quad kids with no quads :)

This might sound weird, but I'm not that nervous. It's unlikely she'll make to to euro and worlds, but that's okay.

ElvieHope

Rinkside
Since there won't be a Russian team in the 2020 Olympics, most likely no ambassador in official capacity either, what's the purpose?

I think that in such a situation, athletes need support even more, and Zhenya, who was in the same situation, will be even more useful to them.

ecr1221

Rinkside
I think that in such a situation, athletes need support even more, and Zhenya, who was in the same situation, will be even more useful to them.

I think she will still go. Didn't Rita Mamun go to Pyeongchang even though her official role there was canceled since Russia did not officially have a team?

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think she will still go. Didn't Rita Mamun go to Pyeongchang even though her official role there was canceled since Russia did not officially have a team?

I was thinking the same. Honestly, after all the mess she went through to help Russian athletes compete in 2018, she would deserve this moment so much. It‘s such a shame she will lose her official ambassador role for the Russian team but she can still go and support the athletes!

skatingfan200

Medalist
I hope the Russian authorities warned her that the doping story could go on before she agreed for the ambassodor job. Otherwise, not nice.

Aichwan

Rinkside
I agree with everyone that this season has been insane and, like all of you, my anxiety about Russian Nats is through the roof. But, in a way, the results at the GPF gave me hope for Zhenya. Aleona came in first without a single quad - proof that it is possible to beat the quad kids with no quads :)

Aleona might not have a quad but she does 3A. She does one in her SP and 2 in her LP, so its a huge advantage. So yeah, agaisnt a clean Aleona, its impossible for Zhenya to beat her technically :(
PCS wise she does have a chance.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She‘s the ambassador of the Russian Olympic team for Tokyo... is she going to lose all that now?

This is absolutely nuts but this has happened again to Russia start to see athletes particularly swimmers and track and field athletes leave Russia and train and live elsewhere even if they still represent Russia. Russian tennis players and hockey players have been doing this for decades. It works. Zhenya made that bold move to leave Moscow forToronto and now many Russian athletes will follow. I don't know what will happen with evgenia is Ambassador role next summer. I hope it still works out for her because she brings class and pride to Russia unlike those deviant older men who screwed up The credibility of Russian Sports by cheating.

Watch

Final Flight
I'm sure Zhenya will still go in the same way Margarita Mamun did at Winter Olympics. A shame that she won't get to enjoy her role as much... we all know how happy she was about getting back the right to compete under their flag.

Anyway, how's everyone feeling about the approaching Nationals? I must admit, I'm a bit deflated knowing that she's unlikely to podium... still look forward to seeing her again, of course, and hope she doesn't let the prospects of a nearly-hopeless fight for a medal bring her down the way it brings me down. And then who knows, maybe a miracle happens. I'm wondering when she's going to arrive in Russia? End of this week, maybe?

Vemvane

On the Ice
Anyway, how's everyone feeling about the approaching Nationals? I must admit, I'm a bit deflated knowing that she's unlikely to podium... still look forward to seeing her again, of course, and hope she doesn't let the prospects of a nearly-hopeless fight for a medal bring her down the way it brings me down. And then who knows, maybe a miracle happens. I'm wondering when she's going to arrive in Russia? End of this week, maybe?

I'm looking forward to Nationals, because I know we're going to see some of the best skating in the world from the seniors, and because I will get to watch Zhenya perform her two beautiful programmes again. Sure, it would be lovely to see her on the podium, but mostly, as a casual fan of figure skating, I just like to see everyone go clean, because then I don't have to flinch when they fall, and to see them happy when they finish each programme. If Evgenia skates the way she did as Rostelecom and in the FP at Skate Canada, she should place very well in the SP, which would give her a fighting chance in the free, and if there is one thing that she is, it is a fighter.

But, really, I just want to see her skate again, as she brings a level of poise and emotion to her skating that few others can match. You always know what story she is telling, whether she is miming or not, and that I love; she is such a captivating performer. Plus, we will get to see another page in her own unfolding story, and what a story it is.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm looking forward to Nationals, because I know we're going to see some of the best skating in the world from the seniors, and because I will get to watch Zhenya perform her two beautiful programmes again. Sure, it would be lovely to see her on the podium, but mostly, as a casual fan of figure skating, I just like to see everyone go clean, because then I don't have to flinch when they fall, and to see them happy when they finish each programme. If Evgenia skates the way she did as Rostelecom and in the FP at Skate Canada, she should place very well in the SP, which would give her a fighting chance in the free, and if there is one thing that she is, it is a fighter.

But, really, I just want to see her skate again, as she brings a level of poise and emotion to her skating that few others can match. You always know what story she is telling, whether she is miming or not, and that I love; she is such a captivating performer. Plus, we will get to see another page in her own unfolding story, and what a story it is.

I agree. :agree: I just want to see her skate. Plus after Nationals is Wizard of Oz. I cannot wait. :dbana:

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I was watching the GPF with commentary from Tara and Johnny last night, and Johnny stated that he recently got a call from a Russian figure skater. When they were talking the figure skater said that the 3A will make the work team and that she doesn’t know what to do with herself. Johnny brought this up because Tara started talking about the depth in Russian ladies skating while Alina was skating. I wonder if Zhenya was the skater that called him. The only other Russian skater that I know is friends with Johnny is Liza T. I don’t know if this was talked about in here, but i wanted to share it in case some of you didn’t know about it. I thought that it was interesting, but I was also a little irritated with Johnny for sharing a conversation like that.

grey19

On the Ice
I was watching the GPF with commentary from Tara and Johnny last night, and Johnny stated that he recently got a call from a Russian figure skater. When they were talking the figure skater said that the 3A will make the work team and that she doesn’t know what to do with herself. Johnny brought this up because Tara started talking about the depth in Russian ladies skating while Alina was skating. I wonder if Zhenya was the skater that called him. The only other Russian skater that I know is friends with Johnny is Liza T. I don’t know if this was talked about in here, but i wanted to share it in case some of you didn’t know about it. I thought that it was interesting, but I was also a little irritated with Johnny for sharing a conversation like that.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing. And I agree, a conversation like that is not for sharing on TV, even without mentioning names.

Fluture

Record Breaker

God, I just hope it wasn‘t Zhenya. Because that would mean exactly what I fear the most. That she‘s beating herself up over her low chances to make the Worlds team. And if she tries to force something at Nationals, trying desperately to beat someone rather than focusing on what she herself can do at this moment, it will end like the SCI SP. I was unusually calm before Nats but I‘m anxious now. I just don‘t want another repeat of last year.

I mean, if it was Zhenya (which we don‘t know, ofc) it would be understandable. She has never entered an event in her senior career where she wasn‘t considered at least a medal threat. She‘s finished off the podium three times and every time she’d been seen as a (relatively) strong contender. She was the leader of the Russian team for two seasons. Being considered as someone with an outside shot at best now, must be incredibly hard to take. Zhenya doesn’t strike me as someone who’d give up but if you KNOW that it likely won’t be enough even if you do everything that you’re capable of... how is one supposed to cope with that? Sigh... I know we have no idea who it really was, but I‘m still worried now. And not cool of Johnny to share a private conversation, no matter who it was. You just don‘t do that. :noshake:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not okay for Johnny to repeat a private conversation. And I don't believe that Evgenia would say that. Even if she doesn't make the team, she has a lot going on in the next 7 months. So she will be busy, and she can do a senior B or two. Plus, she needs to train all the time, so she would never be bored.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
@Good Vibes Only Do you have a link?

No, I don’t have a link. A lot of NBC commentary is blocked on youtube in the US, so I don’t have a link. The only reason that I saw it was because my family bought the Olympic Channel.

But I can try to recite everything that I remember. So Alina was skating and Tara, Johnny, and Terry were talking about how just the one mistake on the opening combination gave her no chance of being on the podium even if the rest of her program was clean. Then they talked about how the 3A are pushing the other Russian ladies to learn quads and used Liza’s quad toe as an example. Then I think Terry said that he wouldn’t want to be a ladies skater in Russia because the competition is so intense. Then Johnny said that he recently got a call from one of the Russian ladies and during the call she said that the 3A will be sent to worlds and that she doesn’t know what to do with herself because even if she did a clean program it would not be enough to beat the 3A for a worlds spot. Then I think that Alina’s scores were being announced so they stopped their conversation.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I watched NBC (SP+FS) and they did not say it what Good Vibes Only has written.

It‘s probably a misunderstanding. I‘m sure something like that was said, it would make no sense for Good Vibes Only to lie about that.

It's not okay for Johnny to repeat a private conversation. And I don't believe that Evgenia would say that. Even if she doesn't make the team, she has a lot going on in the next 7 months. So she will be busy, and she can do a senior B or two. Plus, she needs to train all the time, so she would never be bored.

Of course she‘ll be busy and of course she has opportunities even if she doesn‘t make the Worlds team! But even the strongest, bravest person can have a moment of “I‘m done, I‘m scared, i have no idea what to do anymore“. Zhenya’s not superhuman, and no athlete really is. What matters is whether you pick yourself up afterwards and try again. I‘m not saying Zhenya said this because I have absolutely no way of knowing. But that she COULD have and that it would be understandable. Either way, it was not okay for Johnny to share this because it was clearly private and someone needing emotional support from a friend. If I was a friend of him and saw him sharing something like this on TV (it doesn’t matter that he didn’t explicitly name anyone) I wouldn‘t trust him with a secret again.