Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1425 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

I’m very excited about the short program. That music choice is going to suit her so well, it will be incredible! But speculating a little bit, the artist is Armenian, which makes me wonder is this a sign that she is considering representing Armenia to guarantee that she make it to the next Olympics and continue her career on the world stage? I honestly think the Russian ladies who choose to represent other countries are quite clever for doing it and there is no shame in it, it’s just a flag after all. The federation are happy to drop people like hot potatoes for the next shiny new thing. Or maybe it’s just paying homage to that part of herself and I’m reading way too much in to it!

kahndradra

On the Ice
I’m very excited about the short program. That music choice is going to suit her so well, it will be incredible! But speculating a little bit, the artist is Armenian, which makes me wonder is this a sign that she is considering representing Armenia to guarantee that she make it to the next Olympics and continue her career on the world stage? I honestly think the Russian ladies who choose to represent other countries are quite clever for doing it and there is no shame in it, it’s just a flag after all. The federation are happy to drop people like hot potatoes for the next shiny new thing. Or maybe it’s just paying homage to that part of herself and I’m reading way too much in to it!

I don’t think Zhenya will be switching to Armenia. If she did, she wouldn’t be able to compete for a year per ISU rules, and there wouldn’t be a point for these programs.

If anything maybe a Mao tribute?

And speaking of Mao, do you think Zhenya would ever have TAT choreograph for her?

Fluture

Record Breaker
This is a dream combo! Now I just want to know what her SP music will be. please don't keep us waiting, Zhenya :laugh:
It's really sad to read that she's feeling a bit discouraged at the moment... no wonder of course, the whole boot debacle was frustrating as hell :( Gogolev's Edeas breaking during his skate yesterday brought back a lot of my anger over this whole thing. Hopefully she'll get her spirit back up after Worlds is done and she doesn't have to see her rinkmates prepare for it daily.

It makes me sad too, knowing she’s feeling discouraged. It‘s absolutely normal, though, seeing that so many of her rinkmates are preparing for Worlds and she has a normal training course not directed at any upcoming event. It makes me feel angry about the whole boot situation again but I believe in Zhenya that she‘ll work through this as the fighter she is! That’s why I was so happy about the seminar - it looked like it was a nice (but physically exhausting) distraction while also giving her back her confidence due to the love from the fans. Hopefully working on her new programs will help a little bit. I’m so in awe how someone can fight through so many hardships and not lose motivation. That‘s the sign of a true champion right there.

I‘m surprised but also happy about the SP music and I think at this point, without having seen the programs, I like it a bit more than the FS. But I‘m ready for Zhenya to surprise me. Last year when the music was announced, I also preferred the SP but in the end I grew to love both programs equally. :)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Omg just woke up. The first thing I saw was Zhenya's SP announcement and I am in shock :drama: Masquerade is one of my favorite music pieces and also programs (Mao's Masquerade was so good).
The music fits Zhenya perfectly and I cannot wait to see the program!
I am so happy with Zhenya's program choices. It doesn't get any better :drama:

vixen0089

On the Ice
That’s great news, I’m so so so excited for new season to come [emoji7] I’m already listening to Masquerade and imagining Zhenya performing [emoji85] I like both music choices

Fluture

Record Breaker
What drives you to such derogatory language? A fan's hurt ego? Performance counts in sport. Always. Not only when your own darling is on the winning road.

It wasn‘t meant to be derogatory or a slight against the athletes. This might be the wrong topic to discuss such a thing but Russian female skaters have had a very short reign on the top so far, it‘s not mean to point that out, it’s the truth. The two and a half years Zhenya had were an exception, so that should tell you a lot.

Zhenya herself once was ”the shiny next thing“ who replaced the star before her. She once herself was the “darling on the winning road“. And? She‘s not anymore, obviously. We‘re now two generations ahead of her. Even though her winning streak is barely three years old. If that‘s not a sign, I don‘t know what is. We as Zhenya fans have gone through this and we‘ve seen the patterns with our own eyes, so yes, we might have a bit of a different view than newer fans.

I liked Zhenya when she was winning everything. I like her now, maybe even more so. Believe me, I like the new girls too and I will like them when they‘re not “new and shiny“ anymore, not winning everything, when the next generation is there to replace them. Already there are talks in some parts of this forum who will be the next Olympic star and the name most frequently mentioned is not even a senior yet. Some of the young athletes themselves have said that by the age of 20, it might be time to retire because they won’t be able to catch up with the younger girls technically anyway. The skater who said this is 16 now. This is the way Russian female skating works so far. Whether this is good or bad, everyone can decide on their own.

We as Zhenya fans are glad she‘s sticking around, that she‘s found an environment where she‘s able to work and gets help to put things into perspective even when she‘s at a difficult point, when she feels discouraged. This way she can have the long career she wants for herself. I think we‘re allowed to see this as something important. For the sport as a whole, to show that careers in Russian female skating don‘t have to end when you‘re 18. It doesn‘t mean that we disrespect the current athletes.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm excited. I always wanted Jeffrey Buttle to choreograph one of her programs, he is right there to train with her.

I just watched Mao's 2010 SP, I love this program and it was great seeing Tat at the boards.:)

I would love her to switch to Armenia and doing so , she would miss the Grand prix, but not Europeans and Worlds 2021.

Fried

Final Flight
Some of the young athletes themselves have said that by the age of 20, it might be time to retire because they won’t be able to catch up with the younger girls technically anyway. The skater who said this is 16 now. This is the way Russian female skating works so far. Whether this is good or bad, everyone can decide on their own.
What should the alternative be? Abolish government funding and introduce elite sports for the rich? Basically, competitive sports for children should be banned and done. Everything else is whining about a system from the moment you no longer benefit from it yourself.

What drives you to such derogatory language? A fan's hurt ego? Performance counts in sport. Always. Not only when your own darling is on the winning road.

Well that took a turn. First of all, don’t address me like that. Secondly, you interpreted that as you wished to which says more about your views than my intentions. Every federation does this, it’s nothing special or unique. Don’t try and make this something it isn’t, and if you’re not a fan maybe don’t read the fan fest?

I don’t think Zhenya will be switching to Armenia. If she did, she wouldn’t be able to compete for a year per ISU rules, and there wouldn’t be a point for these programs.

If anything maybe a Mao tribute?

And speaking of Mao, do you think Zhenya would ever have TAT choreograph for her?

I didn’t even think about a Mao tribute, that makes more sense! How sweet if that is her intention!

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I am so excited about Zhenya’s music selections for next season!! It’s kind of funny because about six years ago my sister skated to Masquerade Waltz and she won nationals with it (we do roller skating, not ice skating)!! I hope that it brings Zhenya the same luck that it brought my sister!! I love this piece for Zhenya it is so dramatic and dynamic!!

Fried

Final Flight
Well that took a turn. First of all, don’t address me like that. Secondly, you interpreted that as you wished to which says more about your views than my intentions. Every federation does this, it’s nothing special or unique. Don’t try and make this something it isn’t, and if you’re not a fan maybe don’t read the fan fest?
I was not interested in an association or a specific person, but in a (in my eyes) disrespectful formulation. This may not have been the intention, but this does not change the fact. Please excuse me if I was too harsh, but I do not understand why love for one is often accompanied by degradation of the other.

I was not interested in an association or a specific person, but in a (in my eyes) disrespectful formulation. This may not have been the intention, but this does not change the fact. Please excuse me if I was too harsh, but I do not understand why love for one is often accompanied by degradation of the other.

There is no degrading happening by anyone in this fan fest, including me. No other skaters were even mentioned. You’re reading too much in to this. It’s Evgenia’s fan fest. It’s meant to be to talk about her in a positive way. It’s not about anyone else and I’m not sure where you have got that impression from.