2014 JGP Ljubljana Junior Ladies FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 JGP Ljubljana Junior Ladies FS

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I really liked Serafima's program and how she's presenting it, too! She was a cute girl last season, now she's more mature like a senior lady. Really impressive improvement there!

YLFan

Match Penalty
I wouldn't use the word pristine.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but magically a US girl squeaks into bronze by the smallest of margin again.

oleada

Record Breaker
She also landed 6 pristine triples....that tends to help your scores I've been told. :sarcasm:

Leah skated well but she was lucky that the people ahead of her had bad skates. She wasnt in control of her own fate but things worked out in her favor.

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
Leah had a beautiful skate, she deserves her medal. Yuka is a promising, very lovely skater. Serafima was great as expected but in my opinion overscored a little. I prefer Evgenia and her long programme. Very happy for Rajicova, Schott and Saarinen, I didn't expect all 3 of them to reach top 10.

gotoschool

Medalist
Watching Serafima skate that was painful, she was good technically but the weird jump layout/content and horrible choreography left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Good for Leah Keiser to move up so many places.

Serafima skated well and deserved her win, though I still liked Evgenia's artistry and spins better. But, I couldn't believe and I think it's wrong that her tech score was 3 points higher than Mao's in her Worlds FS with a triple axel, 7 triple program (missed one) and level 4 spins and steps. Couldn't believe the downgrades in that program either. Serafima is obviously stylish and talented with good SS, but the long set up going into the jumps as koatcue mentioned and the lean coming out of her jumps seems too much to me for such high GOE, and the flow and height on her jumps looked alright but not that great. In my opinion, her Biellmann is also not the best in flexibility or centering for 68+.

I really liked Yuka Nagai. She had good height on her jumps, though there were a few mistakes, and graceful movements and interpretation. Hopefully, she will be able to improve her spins to be more competitive for 1st.

I also was impressed with Leah's freeskate.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Guess Denis Ten should have an asterisk next to his Olympic Bronze medal cause the guys who were above him did so poorly! :rolleye:

Leah skated a fine program with a 2A-3T in the second half.

That's sports. Yeah perhaps those girls could have beat her another day. But then again who know how Leah would have fared had she not missed her combo in the SP? The couldas and shouldas don't change that today Leah earned the bronze medal.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if the judges are guarding against potential edge calls and scores are just going to be wildly inconsistent. It would be a bit unfair for Yuka and Serafima to even score close let alone due simply to an edge call. At least IMO Serafima was waaaaaaay better.

I like both Serafima and Evgenia and its awesome they are best friends but what scares me is Serafima can and likely will improve her program while Evgenia already stomped both of hers at near perfect. Eteri is working on cleaning up Serafima but its only been a few months. Serafima looks to be trying to time up her spins to the music and just is barely missing.

These judges scores will be all over the place and inconsistent I fear.

humbaba

Final Flight
Congratulations to Leah on winning the bronze medal with a beautiful skate. Oh, and congratulations to Leah on being the target of some snide comments. Haters are to figure skaters what groupies are to rock bands. When you start to attract them, it means you've arrived.

makaihime

Final Flight
Mai Mihara has very solid techniques. Her Flip and Lutz are :thumbsup:

*edit* I see on the protocols her Lutz got ! :unsure: Angles are deceiving.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have to say I enjoy Evgenia's this season much better. Serafima I great but I feel her programs are so Yulia-like at the moment.

TMC

Record Breaker
Guess Denis Ten should have an asterisk next to his Olympic Bronze medal cause the guys who were above him did so poorly! :rolleye:

That's sports. Yeah perhaps those girls could have beat her another day. But then again who know how Leah would have fared had she not missed her combo in the SP? The couldas and shouldas don't change that today Leah earned the bronze medal.

:agree:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
"Serafima looks to be trying to time up her spins to the music and just is barely missing."

Her opening lay-back spin from last season SP, is timed beautifully to the music, and it was stunning and perfect.... it is not her problem, it is the Yulia-like choreo problem.

oleada

Record Breaker

Just to clarify, I think Leah skated well and deserved her bronze, but yes, she was lucky those ahead of her bombed. As you say, that's sports. I think she came alive only after the jumps were done, given her SP mistakes, it made sense.

Not a fan of Nagai today. She seemed to be lacking expression.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Serafima looks to be trying to time up her spins to the music and just is barely missing."

Her opening lay-back spin from last season SP, is timed beautifully to the music, and it was stunning and perfect.... it is not her problem, it is the Yulia-like choreo problem.
I was talking about her Beillman which starts off at turbo speed and she is trying to slow it down to the tempo of music when she goes to the Beilman. It was better today than the SP IMO. I guess I just think she is a good enough of a spinner to not only get +1 and +2 on spins.

it is not her problem, it is the Yulia-like choreo problem.

Um...just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a problem. Getting a 191 in a JGP is a problem how? All I said is she can and likely will improve her delivery and I'm not sure that Evgenia left much room to improve. Evgenia skated that well IMO.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree that Serafima has lost some of her own characters being packaged Julia like, especially the opening stare into the distance:disapp: Her jumps seem to be better than in her SP, but her spins still need lots of work. She has weakest spins among all Russian A-tier juniors, not just her lack of flexibility, but the traveling issue. Her overall program is kind of jerky: she would suddenly accelerate not to the music, but to complete her jumps and spins. I am really disappointed with her programs this season.

stryke

On the Ice
If they have the same coach is that really a surprise considering Yulias skating is championship quality?