Brian Joubert | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert

LRK

Record Breaker
We can look back at his career that was - and look forward to what is to come. This post is just to set the initial ball rolling; more "proper" posts to follow no doubt! :)

LRK

Record Breaker
The costumes:eek:

Why - are they bad? Should I be sad or glad that I can't see them?

Also, I suppose I should have also said in my initial post that we will also - incidentally, and almost inadvertently as it were ;) - be contemplating Brian's better than "good average" looks. ;)

Though I must say that the photo chosen for the below article certainly might not lead you to believe that:

LMDJ@MaisonDeJoubert · 29 aug
#BrianJoubert and Katarina Gerboldt @1katarinochka will participate as a pair in Christmas show of @EvgeniPlushenko
http://itar-tass.com/sport/1408309

(Note: 'Tis the same as in the Plushy thread.)

How they were able to dig up such an unflattering photo of Brian I don't know...

Some extracts from the article (via Googletranslate):

""While Brian has signed contracts (for performances in a number of shows), the term of which will be completed by early 2015, and fully train Katarina he can not, - said Vasilyev. - But skaters have been invited to try their hand at the show, a fairy tale" Snow King ", which is preparing for the New Year two-time Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko. In my opinion, this is also a great opportunity to work together. And whether athletes qualify for the highest sports result in the pair will be known in the spring.""

&:

"Information that Joubert is going to train a group of famous Russian coach Oleg Vasiliev paired with Gerboldt, appeared in July of this year. However, as it turned out, the skater, who had previously played in figure skating, there are obligations to the TV France - September he should act in a series of television shows, as well as a similar event in Japan."

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Twitter pic for the Instagram-less (not the best quality, but I'll post more if I find them)

Plushy looks kind of like...a shiny silver Bowser from the Super Mario games? :laugh: I dig it though...it's a children's fairy tale show, after all, so any normal rules about skating costumes (such as they are) don't really apply, in my opinion. Not sure what Brian's role is meant to be.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
*bursts in to thread* Did someone say Brian Joubert?! I'm so glad he's finally got his own thread! His 2007 World's performance is the reason I got in to figure skating. I randomly saw his James Bond SP in a pizza parlor of all places and found it so intriguing that I looked it up when I got home.

Here's a picture for you! :biggrin: http://instagram.com/p/sU9VtglSBo/

So the rumors are true: Brian and Katarina will perform together in Plushenko's "The Snow King"! :popcorn:

oh. uh... :eek: I'm really glad there's a Brian thread now!

LRK

Record Breaker
Twitter pic for the Instagram-less (not the best quality, but I'll post more if I find them)

Plushy looks kind of like...a shiny silver Bowser from the Super Mario games? :laugh: I dig it though...it's a children's fairy tale show, after all, so any normal rules about skating costumes (such as they are) don't really apply, in my opinion. Not sure what Brian's role is meant to be.

That's me, I know. :) Thanks - you're a true friend! :)

On first seeing the costumes: Wow!

sort of speechless - and then:

You know what? I think I like. :) "Extravagant" was definitely the right word - they sort of grow on me - every time I look at them, I like them better. Yeah, it's a fairy tale show - it should be a bit larger than life, imaginative, out of the ordinary, magical...

LRK

Record Breaker
*bursts in to thread* Did someone say Brian Joubert?! I'm so glad he's finally got his own thread! His 2007 World's performance is the reason I got in to figure skating. I randomly saw his James Bond SP in a pizza parlor of all places and found it so intriguing that I looked it up when I got home.

oh. uh... :eek: I'm really glad there's a Brian thread now!

Yay! Another Brian fan to join us! I'm so glad! :)

Yes, maybe this was the perfect time for a Brian thread after all? :)

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
Yay! Another Brian fan to join us! I'm so glad! :)

Yes, maybe this was the perfect time for a Brian thread after all? :)

Yes! I can talk about Brian all day. His footwork and song choices (Matrix! Daft Punk!) is really what made me explore skating more. Up until that point I was just a casual viewer who thought skating mainly consistent of 'jumping' and 'not currently jumping' all set to Swan Lake. I was young! I didn't know!

Ahh man those Snow King photos. :laugh: I work in visual effects so the thought of a white fuzzy cape in front of a green screen is hurting me XD

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't know what it was about your post that made me think of my favourite Brian program that never reached its full potential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u0b3o5APrQ&feature=youtu.be

I love Brian... I love Inception (movie & music)... it was just perfect... Sigh. I honestly think it could have been a masterpiece... But.. well...

Totally OT but... since you said you work in visual effects - that's so cool! - there's a thing I've been wondering. I've watched the extra material to LOTR/Hobbit, and I wondered... what's the difference between blue and green screen? They seemed to use blue before and green now?

BusyMom

Medalist
:yay: Count me in!

Yes! I can talk about Brian all day. His footwork and song choices (Matrix! Daft Punk!) is really what made me explore skating more.
Couldn't agree more! His Step Sequences was one of my favourite from this OG. I cringe every time SO mentions his bad SS or out-of-date style. I guess Daft Punk is for some people from dinosaur era (such as me since I did their Musique Vol.I PR back in the day). :biggrin:

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
I don't know what it was about your post that made me think of my favourite Brian program that never reached its full potential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u0b3o5APrQ&feature=youtu.be

I love Brian... I love Inception (movie & music)... it was just perfect... Sigh. I honestly think it could have been a masterpiece... But.. well...

Totally OT but... since you said you work in visual effects - that's so cool! - there's a thing I've been wondering. I've watched the extra material to LOTR/Hobbit, and I wondered... what's the difference between blue and green screen? They seemed to use blue before and green now?

TIME! Inception is actually my all time favorite movie and 'Time' always makes me tear up whenever I hear it. Those opening notes are so moving. I actually didn't know Brian had skated to this for a long while because I stopped following the sport for a while and just got back in to it during the Sochi Olympics. Lovely program though, I agree it could have been a masterpiece. I'm sad the outfit wasn't more Inception inspired though. Imagine him in one of those suits that the actors were wearing.

As for the green vs blue screen, there's not too much of a difference, it mainly depends on what colors you want your actors to be wearing. Red, for example, gets a very hard gray outlines when you try to remove it. Blue generally is easier to key (remove so you can put a BG behind it) especially if people have lighter hair and it preserves the skin tones a bit better than green as well. I don't know, it's all preferences with minor technical pros and cons. Here's a more technical explanation =D

:yay: Count me in!

Couldn't agree more! His Step Sequences was one of my favourite from this OG. I cringe every time SO mentions his bad SS or out-of-date style. I guess Daft Punk is for some people from dinosaur era (such as me since I did their Musique Vol.I PR back in the day). :biggrin:

What? Who doesn't like Daft Punk?! And out-of-date style, awww XD I do think Brian has been struggling for a while, but I still love how he skates. Like I said, his step sequences are so fun and fast. I actually discovered Yagudin through Brian and between the two of them step sequences became my favorite thing about ice skating.