Brian Joubert | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A new interview with Katarina was published, which may shed a bit of light on her side of things. Then again, the Google translation may leave you just as :confused: as ever. :)

Katerina Gerboldt: some clarity appears in two weeks, after our personal conversation with Joubert
05.11.2014 14:57:01 | Figure skating | News

Russian figure skater Katarina Gerboldt and world champion in figure skating Frenchman Brian Joubert (pictured) in March 2015 should start an active workout at the pair. However, at the beginning of the week in a French edition appeared quote Joubert that he does not intend to return to competitive activity. His opinion about the current uncertainty with the special correspondent of the portal TEAM RUSSIA-2014 Maria Catharina Gerboldt Staroverova shared.

- Brian Joubert I do about his unwillingness to speak with me, or at all - not heard - said Katharina Gerboldt. - In the face of it I still did not say anything. We are continuing to prepare for the ice show Zhenya Plushenko. Now Brian is in France. And while he did not tell me in person, he did not intend to speak more, I take it seriously I will not. So I do not have any reaction to the publication in a French newspaper. Speak and write a lot. I myself have repeatedly encountered that wrote stories about me when I did not say anything at all. And it was written that I was interviewed. In the show, Brian and Jenny stand in pairs. It is crucial for us, the launch pad - the ability to drive in a pair. And that means that we still are serious.

- Did you try to contact with Brian after publication?
- No. I think this is better to talk in person. Especially since I know that Brian is now very busy on projects in France, he even almost no time to sleep. If I pull it and disturb each ear - this is wrong. I'm sure if he had something like this in all seriousness decided - once said to me about it. I have already told how hard we train. Brian arrives - and give 100 percent. And I'm with him. This is another sign of a serious attitude.

- When you have to see with Joubert?
- After two weeks in Moscow. A week before the start of the show "Snow King". And the first thing I will talk with Brian, I know how to treat him in this publication - take them seriously or not. And while I do not think about it, I prepare myself. Brian is also preparing in France, as far as he allows his schedule. While we all quietly and well.

- You have nerves of steel. Is even in the depths of the soul does not doubt crept in?
- the nerve cells do not regenerate (laughs). So - why torment them for nothing. I tossed all the options with the other partners, when Brian said he wanted to ride with me. I was waiting for him and waiting now as much as it needs to fulfill all contractual obligations in France. But it seems to me, or you just trust the man - or not. I for myself initially decided to wait for Brian, he and I believe and trust. Let's see what happens (smiling). Unless, of course, turn out, as written - is incredibly insulting. But hope dies last (laughs)!

- If you think that this would be true - that take the?
- We have in any case a contract with Zhenya Plushenko. We plan to show a great tour and the cities of Russia and the world. And, naturally, we will act. So I know what to do in the next six to twelve months. And then - we'll decide what to do. All the same year, we can not take part in any competitions. And already there is still to be seen. That's probably why I'm not so much nervous and worried. His immediate future I know. For the rest, some clarity will be two weeks after our personal conversation with Brian.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hmm, seems like Katrina doubts the authenticity of the report. I would, too, considering the sports reporting's track record ("Sochi silver medalist Mao Asada"?!). What worries me is Brian's conversation with Cekoni (administrator on Plushy's website, who spoke with many skaters during Kings on Ice). What he said to her seems compatible with him not intending to compete.

@LRK
That was of Vasiliev's statement was even stranger. As you said, how could he speak to Brian and get not even a "maybe"? It seems too odd to be the truth, but also too implausible to be a lie.

LRK

Record Breaker
I... just adore this girl! She just comes across as so sweet... and wise. Whatever the truth of the matter may be, she is 100% right that talking face to face is the far better option. And in the short term they do have the Snow King to perform together, so they are both booked for that, in any case. I'm just so... impressed with her! Well, with wisdom and an attitude like that, whatever else happens. her life and future will be bright. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Hmm, seems like Katrina doubts the authenticity of the report. I would, too, considering the sports reporting's track record ("Sochi silver medalist Mao Asada"?!). What worries me is Brian's conversation with Cekoni (administrator on Plushy's website, who spoke with many skaters during Kings on Ice). What he said to her seems compatible with him not intending to compete.

@LRK
That was of Vasiliev's statement was even stranger. As you said, how could he speak to Brian and get not even a "maybe"? It seems too odd to be the truth, but also too implausible to be a lie.

I know! The only theory I can come up with is that Vasiliev had decided that if Brian didn't say anything, then he jolly well wouldn't either. Which would be such a weird attitude to have.

I mean - to use a simile - it's not like he's a Victorian young lady wondering if the young gentleman who has asked her to dance twice is about to propose marriage or not. He's more in the position of the Victorian father, who would tackle the young man and ask him about his intentions, and tell him that his attentions to his daughter is keeping other potential suitors at arm's length.

Mia29

On the Ice
I’m French, so I follow this story with the french point of view (sorry if I made mistakes in English)

I think one of the main problems is the nationality. When his project to skate in pair was revealed in France, Brian has quickly said he was French for the moment. You must to know the situation in France. There’s a sort of phobia with Russia. Since he has chosen to become Russian, Depardieu is unpopular (for others reasons too like alcohol). The French medias have talked about a meeting between Brian and Depardieu in Russia and I think Brian was afraid for his image in France. Brian has answered about this meeting, he said it was not his idea but Vasiliev‘s idea and seemed to not like this meeting “forced”. And in the french article of this week, the journalist seems to tell that Brian wanted a last challenge but not to be russian

This was at this moment that he had seemed to be less enthusiastic about this project. And now the situation has changed, Brian works for the FFSG (I was surprised and my first opinion is that the FFSG want to prevent Brian to become Russian, specially after the situation with Massot),he has decided to skate with the French team in galas in April 2015. Perhaps, he will make French galas for the TV show DALS in January (the stars are not known for the moment. I doubt because Candeloro will be there).

But I'm excited to see he's still in Dances Avec Le Stars, could he win? Because that'd be seriously epic.

I don’t think Brian could win DALS because there are two contestants more popular than him but I think he could be in the last 3 (the finalists)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^^^ Thank you for the information, Mia29. I had forgotten that Brian works for the FFSG...that certainly does complicate things even further.

Here's an interview Brian did at the Coupe de Nice. Would one of the French speakers mind giving a brief translation? He starts talking about Katarina at about 4:15.

Meoima

Match Penalty
All this politiks talk make me wanna cry. The nationality and everything. Poor Brian.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I’m French, so I follow this story with the french point of view (sorry if I made mistakes in English)

I think one of the main problems is the nationality. When his project to skate in pair was revealed in France, Brian has quickly said he was French for the moment. You must to know the situation in France. There’s a sort of phobia with Russia. Since he has chosen to become Russian, Depardieu is unpopular (for others reasons too like alcohol). The French medias have talked about a meeting between Brian and Depardieu in Russia and I think Brian was afraid for his image in France. Brian has answered about this meeting, he said it was not his idea but Vasiliev‘s idea and seemed to not like this meeting “forced”. And in the french article of this week, the journalist seems to tell that Brian wanted a last challenge but not to be russian

This was at this moment that he had seemed to be less enthusiastic about this project. And now the situation has changed, Brian works for the FFSG (I was surprised and my first opinion is that the FFSG want to prevent Brian to become Russian, specially after the situation with Massot),he has decided to skate with the French team in galas in April 2015. Perhaps, he will make French galas for the TV show DALS in January (the stars are not known for the moment. I doubt because Candeloro will be there).

I don’t think Brian could win DALS because there are two contestants more popular than him but I think he could be in the last 3 (the finalists)

Thank you, this was intersting! I read Depardieu changed his country because the french tax is 70 %, the Russian is 10%. Sigh, Depardieu is understandable...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^^^ Thank you for the information, Mia29. I had forgotten that Brian works for the FFSG...that certainly does complicate things even further.

Here's an interview Brian did at the Coupe de Nice. Would one of the French speakers mind giving a brief translation? He starts talking about Katarina at about 4:15.
Okay, in case the actual French speakers don't get to it, this non-Quebecker Canadian with her half-forgotten classroom French will give it a try. I apologize in advance if something is wrong.

About Brian:
- Brian started FS because he had two older sisters who skated.
- Skating is a sport that demands a lot of sacrifice, from parents, ect.
- He talks a bit about training, its difficulties and injuries.
- The same element could end well one day, and lead to catastrophe the next, so it's a sport that requires a lot of repetition.
- His favourite skater is Yagudin. He was also inspired by Stojko.
- His favourite program is the Matrix (so predictable, Brian :p). With it he won Europeans and Worlds.
- (Not sure about this part): It's difficult for him to skate to classical music, and when he does, he listens to it throughout the season to "get" it more.

Sochi:
- He wouldn’t have cared even if he came in last. He thought he skated very well. During the SP, he was only about a point off from third place, and that's a very good result.
- He knew it would be difficult to win a medal, so for him, what was important was having a good experience.
- When asked about why he had a bad experience during the other Olympics, he said he wasn't ready, he was injured, and (other stuff I couldn't understand, I'm sorry).

Pairs:
- Interviewer says, "You’re going to continue skating, but in pairs? A gala in Russia?" Brian says yes, for the moment, he tests it out and does show skating.
- (Okay, sorry, I'm can't perfectly understand the most important part): He says he won’t be competing, since he’s competed for 24 years and needs a break… (but I’m not sure if he means "for now" or "forever")
- What's most difficult about pairs skating is skating with someone else: You can’t improvise, you have to always do what you planned. Technique has to be perfect, because accidents can be really bad. There’s more responsibility.

State of skating:
- There are more opportunities/skating schools in Russia and Canada.
- One change this season was the addition of lyrics. It's a big change. He’s not sure it's a good thing, but it's true that the judges like classics, and with the addition of lyrics, things could slowly change.

DALS:
- Dance technique is very different from skating. (Other stuff I don't understand well enough...)

Mia29

On the Ice
Thank you, this was intersting! I read Depardieu changed his country because the french tax is 70 %, the Russian is 10%. Sigh, Depardieu is understandable...

Yes, the French taxation is horrible (75% on the high income but it will be cancel in 2015). And that’s why poor people in France don’t like the rich people who leave their country when, at the same time, they are forced to pay more and more tax. To leave France is really poorly perceived. I talked about Russia but it’s the same thing for the sportsmen, singers, actors who decided to live in England, Belgium… The French have less and less solidarity with the others, even the others french. Now, I find they have the mentality “it’s France, french and no other country/binationality”.

I think it can play on Brian’s decision. He had otherwise no particular reason to justify this meeting with Depardieu. Even if the French medias has begun to say it was Depardieu who drove him to skate in pair (before Brian’s explanation).

When I will have more time today, I will try to translate the missing pieces of the interview :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, Mia29 - and welcome to the forum, & our Brian thread. :)

Mia29

On the Ice
Thank you :)

News about DALS: tomorrow, Brian will dance samba and Charleston for his first dance (the music will be the same). For the second, it will be harder because they will be 4 (2 pairs of contestants/dancers). Like there are 4 boys and 2 girls, Brian is one of the boys who will dance with another boy, the singer Corneille, during 40 seconds. They will dance an American smooth. It’s a problem for me this news because they didn’t dance it at all when the others pairs of contestants will dance something learned before.

I completed what has Sandpiper has wonderfully translated ;)

- (Not sure about this part): It's difficult for him to skate to classical music, and when he does, he listens to it throughout the season to "get" it more

His worst memory is when he had to skate on classical music because he doesn’t like this music. He thinks it was artistically one of his best programs

- When asked about why he had a bad experience during the other Olympics, he said he wasn't ready, he was injured, and (other stuff I couldn't understand, I'm sorry).
He says he has bad results, so lot of medias have been hard with him and when he was at Olympics, he was always tense.

- (Okay, sorry, I'm can't perfectly understand the most important part): He says he won’t be competing, since he’s competed for 24 years and needs a break… (but I’m not sure if he means "for now" or "forever")
He says he’s doing tests for the moment. He doesn’t feel ready to compete again. He has competed during 24 years, so he needs to take a break. He likes it (skating in pair). He hopes the galas with Katerina will be right. He added he thinks he will simply to limit himself to skating during the galas

DALS:
- Dance technique is very different from skating. (Other stuff I don't understand well enough...)
it was the third request from Tf1. Before, he couldn't because he was skating. Beautiful adventure but if he wins, he will not come back in competition, so he has nothing to lose. He is at 100% in this adventure. The support (fulcrum? Sorry, I don’t know how to translate it), the placement of the body is opposite to the skating. There are similarities: to learn choreographies, to have a public, to have judges. He’s not stressed by them.

His future: he wants to do shows and after, becoming a trainer. He wants an ice school and hopes to form a champion

Meoima

Match Penalty
I've always thought Brian did some decent jobs wih Classical music. Now I know he doesn't like it. So weird.

Mia29

On the Ice
Article (with a little video) about Brian’s life during Danse Avec Les Stars
http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/...ian-Joubert-du-stress-avant-le-strass-2110477
- Sometimes, he doubts to dance well
- He’s surprised by the atmosphere (fabulous)
- He’s happy because he’s more open with the people
- He explains his time schedule... Sometimes, he trains during 8 hours
- He will try to do the best but thinks not to go in final
- He thinks to suffer now of his galas in Russia and Romania. He’s tired. He has the sore neck due to the lifts
- he will take part of the DALS galas in January but not in December because he has the galas in Russia and Japan

The second article is about Brian seen by Chris Marques (judge and artistic director of the tv show)
http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/...1/08/Chris-Marques-Un-bosseur-acharne-2110365
Chris saw Brian skating on the tv. Himself never skated and doesn’t exclude to take a lesson with Brian but with a good protection. According Chris, dance and figure skating have common points. His coaches had worked with ice skaters. One of them was Christopher Dean’s mentor.
Brian has a good upper body. But he has more difficulties with his legs because the skaters use the speed of the skate. He adores Brian because Brian works hard. Brian must continue like this. Brian has to work his technique but his expression too. Brian is progressing incredibly well according to Chris

Mia29

On the Ice
Yes, they had to dance a jive on the same song :)
Saturday, Brian will dance a waltz on Mike Brant’s song "laisse moi t’aimer” (let me love you).
There’s a video where Brian sings the song. It’s funny :biggrin:
http://vimeo.com/111553469

LRK

Record Breaker
A waltz! I'm looking forward to that - and what they will put him in. ;)