Brian Joubert | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
Wow! :love: This is gonna be the first Dancing With the Stars I'll ever watch =D

Edit: lol omg, why do my posts keep creating new pages XD I feel like they're the stupidest comments to have as page headers

LRK

Record Breaker
I think he should do really well, actually. It's not like he can't relate to music, or learn choreography. And I'd imagine he'd be fairly popular, too. I don't know about winning, though, with Nathalie Pechalat also taking part. I've no idea who the others are, though, or what their chances might be. But, disregarding that, on his own merit alone, I don't see why we can't hope for him to reach the final. Come on, Brian, go for it! Shoot for the stars - aim for the glittering disco ball!

(I assume the French version also has the disco ball?)

Oh, and I can't help but think that this will be helpful with that pairs thng he's contemplating as well. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
All right, I wrote a post that has been chucked (I got a notification that it had been moved to Share It! - but cannot find it there), because of the link - so I'll try it again, this time without linking. Which also means I've got to write a little preamble - drat! More effort! So..

Some extracts from a recent interview with Alban Préaubert.

Mentions of Brian (- the first, is apropos Préaubert's favourite memories, moments & achievements in FS):

"The second one was my silver medal at the 2006 Trophée Eric Bompard. Before that event, a Frenchman had never won the Trophée Eric Bompard. It was an historical moment as Brian Joubert won the competition and I was second. It was awesome to share this podium with my friend Brian. "

&:

"Q: You competed against Brian Joubert for years. What are your thoughts on his career and how hes managed to maintain such a high level of skating for so long, perhaps delivering some of his best performances in the last couple of seasons?

A: I have so much respect for Brian. It was an honor for me to compete with him during this last decade and to train with him during summer camps. He is the greatest champion ever in figure skating in France and it will be a great loss for the French federation not to have him anymore in the French team. He is a hard worker with an exemplary work ethic. He was a strong leader and an example to follow and that is probably thanks to him that we had such strong male skaters in France in the recent past with Florent Amodio, Yannick Ponsero and now Chafik Besseghier and Romain Ponsart."

Some more confirmation about the French fed:

"Also, as with many French skaters, my relations with the French federation were quite complicated and it was not pleasant to skate without feeling respect and support from the French Federation. "

(Note: It's a really good interview overall as well - recced to anyone interested in Alban Préaubert.)

LRK

Record Breaker
The French fed are notorious about giving their skaters a hard time. You know what Didier Gailhaguet did to Brian last Grand Prix season? He's also been making life hell for a young ice dancing team, as I understand, because they refused to relocate from their trainer (I don't follow ice dance, so someone else more knowledgeable could probably supply more details.) The tip of the iceberg, I'd imagine - goodness knows about the stuff we never find out about? Could be a reason why Brian could be contemplating skating for Russia - he may just have had it with the French fed!

Meanwhile, the above made me dig up Plushy's tribute - this was directly after Brian's retirement during the Olympics:
(via Googletranslate)

"I feel a tremendous respect for Brian Joubert, I consider him one of the very best of our sport"

Thus says Yevgeny Plushenko about Poitevin. At 31, one is nicknamed "the Tsar" (Olympic champion, triple world champion, five-time European Champion) involved, as Joubert, in his last Olympics, home to Russia. "Brian managed an incredible career. He is the only survivor against which I fought that is always there. This is all the more impressive that it remains competitive for the Games, as I am. It represents the physical skating, muscular, powerful, pleasing the public. His contribution to the sport is priceless. Brian is very popular, admired around the world. In Russia, it is a true star. This is why I invited my tour in Russia after the Games. And also because I consider him a friend. " A beautiful tribute from a great champion."

The article has since been taken down, but this is the picture they used to accompany it:

http://www.olimpiazzurra.com/wp-con...-artistico-Evgeni-Plushenko-Brian-Joubert.jpg

I adore that picture! :love:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I feel very very bad for Brian, he is one of the best, no doubt. His longevity, his quads despite his age! Why French Fed never did him much favor I don't understand!!! :bang:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't know if we will get a stream, but I am confident that someone will upload Brian's dances (hopefully Nathalie's as well). He has some...er...hardcore fans, to say the least!

Apparently Phillippe Candeloro came in 2nd a few seasons back. And other skaters have done very well on other versions of DWTS - several won their season (Kristi Yamaguchi, Meryl Davis, Kevin Van Der Perren). Evan Lysacek was 2nd, Charlie White made it pretty far (4th? 5th? I forget). Nathalie definitely has the technical advantage, but these shows are also a popularity contest to an extent...so we'll see.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
The French fed are notorious about giving their skaters a hard time. You know what Didier Gailhaguet did to Brian last Grand Prix season?

I don't know o_o I just got back in to skating during the Olympics so I have a 2010/2011 - 2013 knowledge gap. What happened? I feel I won't like this answer.

Awww, that's such a cute picture of Brian and Plushenko <3

glam

On the Ice
How nice that Brian has his own thread here! I'm a huge fan of him :). That twitter account is not really his, I guess it's run by a fan or the people behind the DALS. Brian doesn't have twitter or facebook, which is a pity :disapp:

Well, it seems Brian's got his own Danse avec les stars twitter account!:

https://twitter.com/BrJoubert_DALS5

Brian Joubert_DALS5@BrJoubert_DALS5 · 12 tim
hello everybody !

I can just hear him say that... can't you? :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't know o_o I just got back in to skating during the Olympics so I have a 2010/2011 - 2013 knowledge gap. What happened? I feel I won't like this answer.

Awww, that's such a cute picture of Brian and Plushenko <3

Yes, isn't it? They look so young. I believe it's from Euros '04, when Brian beat Plushy. :) (I remember when Brian was talking about his favourite moments/medals he mentioned that one as extra special for that very reason - and once when Plushy was talking about Brian being a great skater, he ended with saying, simply: "He beat me, you know." :) )

Ah, as to that other thing... Well, you will enjoy it or not, depending on whether you're most annoyed, or amused at the sheer ridiculousness and incompetence of it all. At least, it's done and over with, water under the bridge, and nothing to be done about it. It's worse when you are seeing the whole thing happening before your eyes, so to speak.

The short version is, that the French fed yanked Brian from both his GP assignments, that he himself had honestly earned.

The longer version... is far more messy, and I'm not the most lucid narrator at the best of times, but here goes nothing...
His first GP assignment was Skate America. In the weekend he was still getting ready for the competition, wondering about his tickets not having arrived yet, per a French newspaper.
Then on Monday it was announced that he had withdrawn from the competition, and the French fed claimed he had the flu.
Of course, they had not bothered to tell Brian he had the flu, so meanwhile he gave an interview in which he stated that the French fed had sanctioned him for his non-appearance at the French Masters.
The French fed then issued a statement - in English no less! (apparently they never otherwise do this) - saying basically: "We sanction Brian? Ha, ha, ha... what a ridiculous idea! as if we would treat the most successful French skater "of all times" in that way! No... absolutely not! No... he had the flu, that's what happened. The flu. Yes. Er."

"of all times" is a direct quote, by the way. This is the sort of thing where one doesn't know whether to laugh or cry... or punch someone. It's just so farcical. It's not only what they did - it's the way they did it. If you are going to tell a lie about someone, you'd at least better tell the person you're lying about so that they don't inadvertently contradict you. I'd imagine that would be plotting and scheming basic course - but, apparently not. Also the part of keeping Brian in the dark as long as possible is also charming. If they want to sanction Brian for not attending French Masters - do it, and say that is what you're doing. And tell him about it. In advance. Simple as.

He was also yanked from his second GP appearance, to no one's surprise. If there were genuine causes this time or no, is rather more unclear. But, as you can imagine, one tends to be sceptical, even were everything above board - crying wolf, and what-not, you know.

Anyway, they were quite apparently taken completely unawares that anyone would actually care about what happened - it was in the newspaper, and there was quite a commotion about it. There were people at Skate America, I understand, with "Free Brian" signs. Maybe at Rostelecom, as well - I'd not be surprised, he has a very strong fan base in Russia.

And so, I can't help but wonder, if they are prepared to ruin the last GP season of, as they themselves say, the most successful French skater "of all times" - meaning one of their more visible skaters - I honestly don't want to think how they may treat skaters lower down, with far less visibility in the public eye?

@glam - Yay! Another Brian fan - so cool!

Yes, I doubt he's adminstrating that account himself - he isn't "into" that kind of thing, really. But the show runners may get him to leave the occasional message - that "hello everybody!" is so Brian. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
The story is ghastly!! thanks LKR for details! Should I call French Fed the most disabled fed in the entire community of ISU? Seriously! :sarcasm:

LRK

Record Breaker
The story is ghastly!! thanks LKR for details! Should I call French Fed the most disabled fed in the entire community of ISU? Seriously! :sarcasm:

Most feds at least don't sabotage their own skaters - and so I find the confirmation from Préaubert quite telling, that working with them isn't exactly a bed of roses... I find those words quite sad, actually:

"Also, as with many French skaters, my relations with the French federation were quite complicated and it was not pleasant to skate without feeling respect and support from the French Federation. "

It also makes no sense - I mean, it's not like France has a truckload of talent, and they can "afford" to throw away the good skaters they have. Other feds at least may have a deeper field, allowing them the... luxury of cavalier treatment, perhaps. But France? But this is OT; I just couldn't help thinking of it, I'm sorry!

Meoima

Match Penalty
More like working with French Fed is like sleeping on a bed of thorns. Seriously I couldn't understand them. :bang: and Yuna's fans say KSU are stupid? No they are not. At least they did some lobby for her and push her as their No.1. French fed is the most stupid fed ever.

glam

On the Ice
So apparently Brian just joined Twitter and his account is @joubert_brian
I hope this is the real one! :biggrin: