The quad twist | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The quad twist

QuadThrow

Medalist
Current couples performing the quad twist:
- Wenjing Sui/Cong Han
- Peng Zheng/Hao Zhang
- Julia Antipova/Nodari Maisuradze

They all managede to execute one (level 2) at Worlds '14, and they all have succesfully performed the move several times.

forgotten:

scimeca/knierim

I think we will see a lot more 4Tw on the way to OS 2018:

Duhamel/Radford ?
Savchenko/Massot ?
Volosozhar/Trankov ?

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
G & G did the Quad twist for a while but decided the judges were not giving it enough credit for its difficulty and risk so took it out. I think around 1989? ? Also Bras & Eis (CAN) could do it laterally but only when Isabel's ribs were not injured. I think they are often under rated for the difficulty of there highlight moves. The in between skating so/so lifts, throws, twists--- AMAZING.

Katya wrote in her book, My Sergei, that when they performed it it was misidentified as a triple twist at Worlds and decided it was not worth it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If i was coaching Tarasova/Morozov i would be pushing them to do a quad twist for sure. Their triple twist is already one of the best in the world. And unlike some of their competitors they have youth on their side to keep upgrading there elements.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think we will see a lot more 4Tw on the way to OS 2018:

Duhamel/Radford ?
Savchenko/Massot ?
Volosozhar/Trankov ?

From what's been said about Savchenko/Massot I could see them trying it, they seem to be all about the big tricks. Didn't Trankov require shoulder surgery last year that kept them out all last season? I wonder if his shoulder could handle training new/harder tricks - especially if they are trying to make it to 2018...

moriel

Record Breaker
From what's been said about Savchenko/Massot I could see them trying it, they seem to be all about the big tricks. Didn't Trankov require shoulder surgery last year that kept them out all last season? I wonder if his shoulder could handle training new/harder tricks - especially if they are trying to make it to 2018...

Yeah dunno, + V/T are reasonably old, and probably should rather rely on PCs / GOE than risking an injury.

samson

Medalist
I just checked and Alexa and Chris gor credit for level 3 quad twists at both worlds and WTT. At 4CC they got credit for a level 2 I think.

lyndichee

Medalist
I loved the quad twist by Peng Zheng/Hao Zhang performed at 4CC. I think their size difference really helped them pull it off. I would love too see Tarasova/Morozov do one as well, such lovely height on their triple twist.

I don't think Duhamel/Radford can do one, they barely have any height on their triple.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Were there anymore this season?

Feel free to add to the list!

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I honestly surprised I haven’t heard anything abou Tarasova/Morozov competing/training one because their twists are just so good.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I honestly surprised I haven’t heard anything abou Tarasova/Morozov competing/training one because their twists are just so good.
They were doing it for the Olympic season, but with the new rule changes and their consistency issues, they probably decided it wasn’t worth it anymore.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
there will not be any quads of any sort in pairs with the new rules...

There is no limitation for the number of revolutions in the twist lift for the FS unless I missed something?

The rules are vague on the throws for the FS, but it doesn't say it can't be performed.

Last edited:

cohen-esque

Final Flight
There is no limitation for the number of revolutions in the twist lift for the FS unless I missed something?

The rules are vague on the throws for the FS, but it doesn't say it can't be performed.

They’re just worth so few points now, compared to the risk. And from the ISU (and fan) rhetoric on the subject, they’re worth that little just so that pairs won’t try them. (But they are not outright banned, no.)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems kind of unfair considering the base value singles get, despite how little it might be.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

the Base Value has been lowered so much that it's better and safer for pairs to perform a better level triple twist or triple throw.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I totally agree with this however, does the same apply to the singles? That is my point.;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I totally agree with this however, does the same apply to the singles? That is my point.;)

not quite... and as a matter of fact, the technical level this year has been growing in singles.... to the point that we had two ladies in seniors doing 3a and the first ever landed quad in seniors ladies...

we had a whole discussion about this a year ago.... pretty much, some of the folks think that the ISU has stopped pairs evolution... even the teams who had 4twist or 4throws are no longer doing them (the knierims, sui-han, james-cipres, tarasova-morozov)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I do remember this discussion. I just did not realize that they were going to stop doing them completely and my point is that it’s not fair.