The flying sit spin | Golden Skate

The flying sit spin

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gillis Grafstrom.jpg

Gillis Grafström (7 June 1893 – 14 April 1938) of Sweden invented the flying sit spin and the Grafström spin, a variation of the camel spin. He won three successive Olympic gold medals in Men's Figure Skating (1920, 1924, 1928) as well as an Olympic silver medal in the same event in 1932, and three World Championships (1922, 1924, 1929).

Which skaters do you think perform the best flying sit spin today, both men and ladies?

Last edited:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Kristi Yamaguchi definitely had a great one. Great timing, good sense of flying into the spin (lots of other skaters do a tiny hop).

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Revisiting after five years, who has been showing skills in the flying sit spins? Who stands out to you most?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dorothy Hamill. Her back straight as an arrow in the spin.

Here is her Olympic SP in 1976. Her axel sit spin is abut 1:35 in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKWXs0LL_U

Lots of bonus content in this video...

The end of a brief chat with Trixi Schuba, 1972 OGM of legendary school figures fame.

Dorothy falling in warm-up on the very flying sit spin that is the subject of this thread.

A lovely delayed axel, harkening back to a discussion on another thread that I helped hi-jack.

My first memory of Uncle Dick Button saying the judges scores aren't important, so long as the skater was satisfied with a good performance.

The pre-Kiss-and-Cry era where skaters just stood at the boards and awaited their scores.

Dorothy's famous squinting at the scores because of her nearsightedness.

Her obvious joy at the marks, especially the 6.0,

platypus

Match Penalty
Revisiting after five years, who has been showing skills in the flying sit spins? Who stands out to you most?

No one currently does a good flying sit spin, much like no one does a good classic sit.

tokoyami

On the Ice
keegan messing's is fantastic, fastest ive ever seen
yuzuru hanyu's is the most musical

i hope i've understood what a sit spin is...lol

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Are we talking death drops or forward flying sit spins? Too many to name for death drops, but for the FFSS I liked Kostornaia's, and Ito had a great one back in the day.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Are we talking death drops or forward flying sit spins? Too many to name for death drops, but for the FFSS I liked Kostornaia's, and Ito had a great one back in the day.

Or just plain old axel flying sitspins without the open position in the air.

But for something completely different, how about this or this (after the transition)