The flying sit spin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The flying sit spin

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
For any sit spin it's very important to look at skaters body position in relation to the ice. Better sit spins supposed to be the ones in which skater body (butt) is closer to the ice surface and i must say that todays skaters (as Kostornaya or Vasiljevs presented here) are much better in achieving that kind of sit position.

SkateSkates

Medalist
We will get to see flying sit spins in junior SPs this season so maybe someone new will surprise us with their amazing spins!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For any sit spin it's very important to look skaters position in relation to the ice. Better sit spins supposed to be the ones in which skater body (butt) is closer to the ice surface and i must say that todays skaters (as Kostornaya or Vasiljevs presented here) are much better in achieving that kind of sit position.

Current flying sit spins have slow, tentative entries with little height (flight) or height that looks uncontrolled or jerky. Of the older, better spins, Peggy Fleming gets down pretty close to the ice.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Current flying sit spins have slow, tentative entries with little height (flight) or height that looks uncontrolled or jerky. Of the older, better spins, Peggy Fleming gets down pretty close to the ice.

To get closer to the ice, the most used position is with total exstention of non skating leg which is more/less paralel to the ice surface. Vasiljevs, Lipnitskaya and Hanuy have a very good variation on the free leg position to keep their butt closer to the ice :biggrin: While their sit spins are good (and aestheticaly pleasing), I think former skaters you are talking about weren't that flexible to achieve closer position to the ice.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To get closer to the ice, the most used position is with total exstention of non skating leg which is more/less paralel to the ice surface. Vasiljevs, Lipnitskaya and Hanuy have a very good variation on the free leg position to keep their butt closer to the ice :biggrin: While their sit spins are good (and aestheticaly pleasing), I think former skaters you are talking about weren't that flexible to achieve closer position to the ice.

I agree, and accept that as a legitimate variation, and some skaters do it well.

But my personal favorite position is when the skater has a very straight back, and the free leg is out at a sloping angle from the spin. When the spin is very centered and fast, the illusion is one of a cone, with the head in one spot as it spins.