Karen Chen | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Karen Chen

Lzbee

Final Flight
Oh Karen, so close yet so far. 😭 If she could fix her underrotations, she's be right up there with Bradie and Mariah. I hope she can achieve her goal of the triple axel and maybe that will help with the rotation issues too.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
She should also just convert her House of Flying Daggers gala into the SP next season, unless she has something awesome planned lol. Crossing my fingers that she just choreographs her programs next season.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No comments on this thread yet about Karen's great skates at the World Championships?

I'll start them! Great job, Karen! Congrats on your 4th place finish, I loved watching both programs, and I thought you skated beautifully!

gotoschool

Medalist
The ridiculous SP scoring which turned me off from watching caused me to completely overlook Karen Chen's fabulous performances and most of the other ones too, so I didn't watch until the competition was over. I read a comment on social media that several thought Karen should have won. At first, I thought this had to be wrong, but since my opinion of the justice in ISU scoring and its criteria are completely undermined, I thought I would decide for myself and throw status and presumed preference in scoring to the wind. Then as I watched, I realized that Karen basically made no visible mistakes in either the SP or LP. Also in my opinion, the fact that she has so little pre-rotation on her lofty and aesthetically appealing jumps and fairly erect posture on landing means that they are all actually rotated based on what really matters the number of degrees in a circle that are completed in the air, especially relative to other skaters who may rotate less and receive no ur (or edge) calls because of far greater pre-rotation. Furthermore, Karen didn't seem to be the same skater I remembered. It seemed she had leaped to a higher level in expression, performance, conditioning, and skating, Then, there were the big mistakes made by the other challengers to consider. She also had a proper triple lutz edge and wonderful loft on her jumps, exceptional speed, engaging expression, picturesque spins with excellent rotational speed, lovely arm expression, and those beautiful arabesques and fan spirals in both programs, the agile turns into her triple loop transitioning into a lovely layback and picturesque Biellmann, and lured in by the music of Butterfly Lovers which brought back marvelous memories of Lu Chen's 1998 Olympic Freeskate I decided that for me Karen Chen deserves to be the overall winner.

Last edited:

Vemvane

On the Ice
Her lovely Worlds FP, where she proved that skating clean and well is still rewarded, even if there are no super difficult jumps. Really pleasant programme, with some gorgeous spirals. Congratulations on her fourth place! And well done to her for earning the US three Olympic spots.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Karen's instagram post:

WE DID IT! 3 spots! 🇺🇸 honestly just so happy that i was able to skate my heart out here in Stockholm. couldn’t have wished for anything more. can’t wait to get back to work for the olympic season! ♥️

165226080_147347347292480_1119062461284984284_n.jpg

164410151_198976408290437_3352948806700546209_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM5d9UoHs2s/

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yet another article claiming someone earned an Olympic spot when they only earned the opportunity for someone (not themselves) to compete for it. Not the only skater, and not the only not-quite spot, and not the only paper to report it that way. No disrespect to Karen; she did all she possibly could. The third spot was just not available to be won outright.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I noted that even the Johnny and Tara show got it wrong... J/T skirted the issue and all the screen said on their show was that certain spots had to be confirmed at a further comp for some teams. But not others. Has the ISU issued a clear statement on the process? I was told that it was explained back stage to the World competitiors.....if they have issued a statement, please send me a link. The fanfest is not the place for skating politics IMHO. My point was that her school recognized her....Unlike most of the American media that threw Nathan Chen under the bus in favor of some boys dribbling in their shorts....:devil::devil::devil:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yet another article claiming someone earned an Olympic spot when they only earned the opportunity for someone (not themselves) to compete for it. Not the only skater, and not the only not-quite spot, and not the only paper to report it that way. No disrespect to Karen; she did all she possibly could. The third spot was just not available to be won outright.
Wow.....Ice Coverage filled me in by email....thanks. No politics will I utter...but back in 2006, Oly Skating Judge Jon Jackson's book "On Edge" foretold all of this. Wow.....

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was talking about the distribution of Olympic spots to federations, not the distribution from the federation to skaters. Karen and Bradie earned two Olympic spots, with the possibility that someone else could earn a third one at Nebelhorn. It was absolutely the best they could do, with no third US lady in the competition.