Karen Chen | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Karen Chen

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen is taking care of the bruised knee she sustained in PA. She Insta-storied a picture of her knee full of acupuncture needles - looked pretty banged up, all purple - not a pretty sight.

Hope she will be healed soon!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Great skate! This early in the season and the jumps are all there (even the combo at the beginning looked very close) :clapper: This was almost better than her performances at Nationals and Worlds! The program itself looks nice, there are some nice touches here and there (the free leg movement when she landed the 2A-3S :love: ) but nothing spectacular, just an average Carmen I'd say. She covers the ice very well, though, and has very nice speed

Seruleane

Final Flight
Just watched both Karen's SP and FS, and they look SO GOOD! I was initially meh about her music choices, but they are both crowd pleasers, and she performs them so well early in the season. I hope she continues to build and improve, and stays injury free.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In case anyone missed it, Lynn Rutherford has nice things to say about Karen from Champs Camp and a snippet of an interview in Ep 39 from Ice Talk.

Karen's part is around the 10 minute mark.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
In case anyone missed it, Lynn Rutherford has nice things to say about Karen from Champs Camp and a snippet of an interview in Ep 39 from Ice Talk.

Karen's part is around the 10 minute mark.

I love how focussed and determined she seems to be readying herself for the Olympics season early on. So proud of her coming back from those growth spurt/injuries lows. And finally no boot troubles!! Phew... (That is usually half of the problem, at least it was with Yuna when she went through her boots issues that lead to injuries etc..)

Heart and Mind aligned, here's hope for a great season!! No more injuries, please. Hope she gets to realise her potentials we saw all these years ago.

Jia yo Karen!!

firal

Record Breaker
Just watched the SP and did a double take when she came up on the screen, man they sure grow up fast! Love the whole package for the SP, really enjoyed how fierce she was!

Alifyre

On the Ice
Karen has decided to change her FS to "Slow Dancing in The Big City" -- choreographed by Karen Chen! Her self-choreographed pieces last year were lovely, but I'm a little worried about a change so soon before the GP series.... wishing her all the best!

loopy1217

Rinkside
Karen has decided to change her FS to "Slow Dancing in The Big City" -- choreographed by Karen Chen! Her self-choreographed pieces last year were lovely, but I'm a little worried about a change so soon before the GP series.... wishing her all the best!
It’s a risky move but I think it’s for the best as I don’t feel she enjoy the Carmen much...it was very forceful than her usual self. I also think she and her team thought of other possibilities right after the US Classic and she has been (I hope) playing with this idea and finalize it before announcing it to public.

I think Marin Honda also has a new SP though she had a choreographer line up right after that competition where as Karen had to start from scratch. I don’t believe Karen use this music before so it will be interesting to see

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Is this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKBDe3OxWWw

Rather cinematic and classic Americana, not a bad thing... Carmen may be in a few years. Then again, I don't think anyone should do Carmen until age 19+
It is quite brave of her to do this, lead by example (especially the burden of doing the choreography herself, crazy pressure. If it still doesn't work, she will have to blame herself. Hope she gets good guidance/2nd opinion somehow). Refreshing and really outstanding to admit something not working when you consider there are others still insisting on doing repeats (ahem Ashely, dear girl!!)

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Is this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKBDe3OxWWw

Rather cinematic and classic Americana, not a bad thing... Carmen may be in a few years. Then again, I don't think anyone should do Carmen until age 19+
It is quite brave of her to do this, lead by example (especially the burden of doing the choreography herself, crazy pressure. If it still doesn't work, she will have to blame herself. Hope she gets good guidance/2nd opinion somehow). Refreshing and really outstanding to admit something not working when you consider there are others still insisting on doing repeats (ahem Ashely, dear girl!!)

That is a lovely piece of music! I am really looking forward to seeing the program, and I didn't know she choreographed both programs last year! That's really amazing. :luv17:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Better than Carmen... :agree:

I like the choreo, but it feels a bit....raw. But she still has a lot of time to practice it by the day it really counts. Anyway, sending all my love to Karen to Canada right now!! :luv17:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think it is better than Carmen but I think the choreography needs to be fleshed out a bit, to be more distinctive and less generic. It needs character at this point, as not many people are familiar with the music or theme. It needs to be memorable and irreplaceable.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Wow, what a gorgous dress! I agree that the choreography needs to tweaking, there were a few moments where I thought some steps could be a bit smoother. What happened on the jumps here? It's almost like she didn't have enough energy that moment, since she first doubled the second triple and then popped the loop... :sad21:

Despite the finish here, it is uplifting to see that the B.Eurosport guys think that she has the most potential to medal at the Olys out of all the American ladies. These guys have yet to be wrong in terms of judgement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQqwhUbe5E :pray:

champs

Final Flight
Watching the Carnival On Ice broadcast with Tatsuki Machida commentating throughout, and he just said at the end of Karen's program that he thought she did the most dynamic 3Lz among all the female skaters. :)

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Just rewatched her skate canada FS. I almost feel like she is skating *too* fast - is it just me? If you watch the second half of her program, her flow in/out of the lutz and the axel and the (popped) loop and the 3S with the bad landing... they were all done with incredible speed that almost seems too much for the music. It is almost no wonder that she would make mistakes like this toward the end because one really needs a lot of stamina to skate that fast in 2nd half of the program. :shocked:

Also, new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ggF-xsyJ8g