oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
All decisions are out by now unless we count waitlists

The article says that she hasn’t even applied to colleges yet

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
But if she didn’t apply to colleges yet (per the article) I will assume she has 0% chance of acceptance at U of M for this coming school year.

Tahuu

On the Ice
But if she didn’t apply to colleges yet (per the article) I will assume she has 0% chance of acceptance at U of M for this coming school year.

The article doesn't say Karen hasn't applied to colleges. By "she also faces a big transition with applying to colleges that will determine where she trains" the reporter got to mean going to college. Applying to colleges does not determine where she trains, especially if they are talking about training location for next season. Taking a step back, if the reporter means applying to college for 2019-20 school year, it would only affect her training location in 2020-21 skating season. It would make no sense for him to mention Karen's college applications here and now.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I believe Karen said she is taking a year off from school after the Olympics - so that would be this coming school year.

But if she’s enrolling at U of M for fall of 2018, that would be great

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Karen is taking a gap year from school (I mentioned this a couple pages back)
so she'll be applying for fall 2019 admission

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I dont remember where I heard this from, but I believe Karen is taking a gap year (off school)

Karen's gap year was covered in Jackie Wong's live-tweeting of her pre-OWG media call:

KChen: I'm taking a gap year [after the Olympics], so I'll figure out which schools [to apply to]. But I'm focused on the Olympics right now, once that's over, I can really start thinking about my next steps.
12:21 PM - 30 Jan 2018
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/958430180334284801

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Backstage at SOI today, Karen was studying for a test -- as seen on Mirai's Instagram story.

What kind of test was not clear. Mirai at first said APs, then corrected herself to ACTs, then SATs. Karen remained silent, mostly with her face buried in her study sheets.

If ACT or SAT is in fact true, it would support the scenario that Karen has not yet applied to colleges.

ETA:

Karen has been added to the cast of Skate It Forward (June 16 charity shows in Columbus, Ohio), per announcement today:

https://twitter.com/Sk8_It_Forward/status/988139606859239424 (Apr 22)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As seen on Karen's own Instagram story this morning, ACT is what she is studying for.

Good luck, Karen. :ghug:

ETA (on Apr 29):

This morning, SOI posted an airport photo of Karen reading her ACT prep book, with other study materials close at hand.

After yesterday's SOI show in Detroit, she presumably is on her way to Chicago for today's show.​

Karen, Mirai, and Starr will make a visit in July to Westchester County, New York.

For a club show on July 13.
And not clear, but perhaps(?) also to take part (to some extent?) in the week of skating camp leading up to the show?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
It seems clear from the article that she hasn’t gotten her college acceptances yet

And um I think there is no way that Vincent could enroll at the Air Force Academy and still continue his training - lol

Air Force Academy :laugh2::eekn::rofl:

i thought if Vincent will need to go to college close to his training base, Colorado College would be a good place to go.

also in Karen's recent insta story, many Canton appearance. wonder will Karen move to train in Canto for long term.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Anyone else dying to know Karen’s music choices for this season? Really hoping she can have a successful year and get some new PB’s. Go go go Karen!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Anyone else dying to know Karen’s music choices for this season? Really hoping she can have a successful year and get some new PB’s. Go go go Karen!

Yeah I hope they get her a solid LP that she actually sticks to. Less of a possibility of a warhorse this time.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Air Force Academy :laugh2::eekn::rofl:

i thought if Vincent will need to go to college close to his training base, Colorado College would be a good place to go.

also in Karen's recent insta story, many Canton appearance. wonder will Karen move to train in Canto for long term.

I don't seem to understand what is so funny about the Air Force Academy? :confused:

And it is close to his training base, it's right in Colorado Springs.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I don't seem to understand what is so funny about the Air Force Academy? :confused:

just me associate Air Force Academy the name with the imagery of Vincent as a pilot, my usual random bulbs :biggrin:

Ross74

Medalist

Maybe not so much funny, but not realistic. You're basically enlisting in the military to go there, with a long-term commitment to service, including active duty.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe not so much funny, but not realistic. You're basically enlisting in the military to go there, with a long-term commitment to service, including active duty.

Yes, I have only recently learned about the Air Force rink,;) but the Air Force?

I think folks have an unrealistic expectation sometimes of how much Yale will be institutionally impressed by Nathan, but a service academy would be even less impressed. Unless the Academies have changed dramatically, no currently competing skater such as Vincent could accommodate both skating and the Academy. It might be a great choice for Vincent when he is done, who knows?

And now I need to follow Karen for clues as to her coaching situation too; what fun:biggrin: