Karen Chen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Karen Chen

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have just rewatched her FS again, wonderful jumps, spins! And she's cute! Omg her jumps!!
:love: I hope she will make it through puberty strongly.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
"grasshopper" I remembered once I posted that Yuna's legs looks like grasshopper. And Karen's legs certainly does too.
and that link posted above does not work anymore:cry:

Gigi13

On the Ice
Karen Chen is so freaking good :jaw:, my fave US lady. Those jumps and that speed oh my god! Keeping my eye on her for the next few years that's for sure.

gotoschool

Medalist
I just was watching Karen at the Prudential 2015 Championships, and upon hearing the commentary, thought:"Did Tara Lipinski just call Karen a little grasshopper?" Played it back and, yes, commentary went as such: "She's so itty-bitty, she's like a little grasshopper though, watch how fast she's flying into this combination(jump)...". Yeah, just like Uncle Dickie (Buttons) describing Elena Sokolova as a "cupcake", I wonder if this will be a nickname-in-the-making! :laugh:

I heard that too. But, it had a double meaning for me because I remember the old TV show called Kung Fu when the blind Kung Fu Master called his young apprentice, Grasshopper. Hopefully, this "nickname" will help her concentration, fight and quickness in competition, which she seems to be developing.

s_parks

Record Breaker
"grasshopper" I remembered once I posted that Yuna's legs looks like grasshopper. And Karen's legs certainly does too.
and that link posted above does not work anymore:cry:

Well, hopefully Karen's jumps get better with growth like Yuna. :yes:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Awwh yes!!! It makes me so happy that Karen proved herself! Somehow I had a feeling she would, as I was literally the only one in the Predictions thread who put her on the podium in my predictions. :dance: I saw everyone else putting her in 6th and 7th place, but somehow I knew that her potential, compared to everyone else, is ENORMOUS. She has quality and personality, she just needs to stay injury free and keep improving. May the growth spurt and/or puberty not touch her.

I already wrote this on the American National Championships thread, but I was so impressed with Karen's performance. To me, her LP skate was the best and the most exciting, even with Ashley giving a fine performance. The attack, surprising speed, the beautiful flexibility in the spirals, spins (with a gorgeous Biellmann) and her grace were just fabulous and finally she is getting consistent on her jumps. I just love her style, flair and expressiveness. She finally got redemption for all the heartache she had in her LPs during the Junior Grand Prix season. It's amazing that three juniors (Evgenia Medvedeva in Russia, Wakaba Higuchi in Japan and Karen Chen in the US) all got bronze medals in their National Championships.

:clap: Completely agree!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Well, hopefully Karen's jumps get better with growth like Yuna. :yes:

Yuna does refine her jumping technique throughout her entire career.and indeed get more and more consistent, precise and efficient throughout her career. I wish Karen can follow that path as well.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Yuna does refine her jumping technique throughout her entire career.and indeed get more and more consistent, precise and efficient throughout her career. I wish Karen can follow that path as well.

But guys... did you see her lutz, with that amazing delay? Who did it remind you of? ;)

(Hint: someone with a textbook lutz! ;D)

thoakun

Final Flight
I heard that too. But, it had a double meaning for me because I remember the old TV show called Kung Fu when the blind Kung Fu Master called his young apprentice, Grasshopper. Hopefully, this "nickname" will help her concentration, fight and quickness in competition, which she seems to be developing.

I wonder if the word "grasshopper" has any symbolic meaning in Chinese culture. Someone Fast and bright? Or a person who could achieve such concentration that he could close his eyes and listen to the grasshoppers? Or someone who has massive potential but she is at the lowest end of the learning curve and has to really commit in order to excel?

Back to the topic, I think Karen Chen embodies both the technical ability and artistry that an ultimate skater needs. Some skaters have the technical goods but they have to work on their artistry. Other skaters are naturally artistic but they don't have the technical goods to compete with the top stars. Karen's artistry comes naturally and she also has the technical ability to match.

Last edited:

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
I was so impressed with Karen from Nats. I'd heard of her before but never really bothered to check her out until this weekend. All I can say is I am praying that puberty treats her well so that she will take gold in future Nats. ;)

s_parks

Record Breaker
Karen is a prime example of a tiny skater who really skates big. It's really lovely to see. And I simply love her classic layback.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Grasshopper has no particularly meaning in Chinese, their legs just literally resemble the legs of a grasshopper to me.:biggrin:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Karen on having such a glorious skate! Ashley might have won the event (and kudos to her on a great job too), but Karen's was my fave of the night. Good luck at junior worlds!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Karen's gala: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ2Pv6uHbAE&feature=youtu.be

Absolutely incredible. Beautiful 3L and 2A, and THAT SPIRAL. She is the first one since Sasha Cohen to hold that position for so long. Even Lipnitskaya doesn't hold it like that.

Just lovely. I recently watched her 2012 nationals gala and it is gorgeous. Such potential- I hope her jumps get better after puberty instead of the other way around(what usually happens). She has real champion quality.