Karen Chen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Karen Chen

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watched Karen's ex a few times now, 1:24s showed her innate musicality so well, not just hitting note. I wish she can get better senior programs next season (perhaps go for David, to learn how to move/dancer even better and construct a more balanced program).

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kz1NS6Xb3E
Karen, 11 years old, skate to "the Golden pond" (Mirai's music) in a white peacock dress, doing 2lz-2loop...
all cuteness come together:eek::

ahhhhhh she is becoming one of my fave female skater, she skates with so much speed and maturity even at such yound age and if she can skate clean russians are gonna have really hard time winning junior worlds, at the beginning of the season i was rooting for evgenia and elizabet tursynbaeva(my sentimental fave :eek::) but i started to change my mind :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She could give a run for our Rus girls' money;-) She IS great!

I thought the same thing when I first saw her SP during JGP!! She rocks!!! As an American it's nice to see some talent in the pipeline.

Last edited:

firal

Record Breaker
Just saw her Smucker's Gala program on NBC yesterday; she was wonderful! Huge 3Lz there too! Really looking forward to what's to come for Karen.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
She has wonderful 2A as well, maybe she could go for 3A? :think:

Nah. She just needs a 100% clean 3-3 and some publicity, and no surprises from puberty monster. I think her skating is so lovely that she should develop it to Yuna standards rather than practice a jump that is going to be 50-50 in competition anyway (I mean, the only one who did it consistently in ladies was pretty much Midori, but she was 100% jumps, really - Karen has the full package, so she has to keep and develop it).

Meoima

Match Penalty
Nah. She just needs a 100% clean 3-3 and some publicity, and no surprises from puberty monster. I think her skating is so lovely that she should develop it to Yuna standards rather than practice a jump that is going to be 50-50 in competition anyway (I mean, the only one who did it consistently in ladies was pretty much Midori, but she was 100% jumps, really - Karen has the full package, so she has to keep and develop it).
But it's not easy to stay competitive with an army of Russian girls in the same age. Right now US only has Karen while Russian has like 10 young ladies who are capable of doing 3z3T. So maybe a 3A can help her to stand out to the judges. Of course if only she likes it.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
But it's not easy to stay competitive with an army of Russian girls in the same age. Right now US only has Karen while Russian has like 10 young ladies who are capable of doing 3z3T. So maybe a 3A can help her to stand out to the judges. Of course if only she likes it.

Honestly, I don't see anything so scary about the Russian girls. Their scores right now are totally reachable and even beatable with perfect technique, an LP with three clean triples, and great artistry/spins. Also, the only "army" I see capable of being a real threat right now is Radionova and Tukt, everyone else has been somewhat sub-par this season. I think the hype if real when it comes to this group. The media/world needs to see some strong competitors from US/Asia to get over this hype, and some of the current juniors (i.e. Karen, Wakaba) are very likely the answer. Also, quality, not quantity. ;)