Karen Chen | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Karen Chen

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I do wish that she would do them without any hand assistance. But I'm just being picky here. They are gorgeous indeed.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Message from Karen at her instagram
It's been a rough year. First all the boot problems and then my arch/heel pain flaring up the week of nationals. Despite the conditions, I fought with every inch of physical and mental strength to push through it all. Although the results were not what I had envisioned, I am glad I can finally take the time to let my body recover. However, I couldn't have done it without my family's support and my coaches. Also, I want to thank all those doctors and PTs that worked so hard to help me get through it every single day! Lastly, I want to thank all of you guys that had showered me with love and encouragement!! Thank you all so so SO MUCH!! Sending you all positive thoughts!!
you did good baby, now go rest and come back better than ever (both physically and mentally) next season, cant wait!! :cheer:

here are her programs with NBC commentary;
Short : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdIEKB8_JA#t=16m13s
Long : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXBTaN67zg4

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was in the arena at St. Paul, and I wanted to say that Karen Chen's performance was the first, chronologically, in the Ladies FS that made me say, "oh, that's beautiful." The first -- certainly not the only as I'm an Ashley Uber:love:) one where I felt that magical connection among skater, her music and her audience. Whatever technical challenges Karen had this time, she has a wonderful presence on the ice (and a BIG presence, amazing because she's so tiny).

I'm so happy to see another ladies' skater who doesn't sacrifice artistry and performance value, no matter what else happens. And her spirals are breathtaking. I'm adding my voice to hopes that she'll rest plenty, recover well and bring us more ice skating happiness next year.:luv17:

Last edited:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
So happy that Karen has another chance to show her wonderful performances this season!

dna5019

Final Flight
Excited to see that Karen has another chance to compete! Best of luck to her! :hap93:

Spiral

Final Flight
Congratulations to Karen for getting two GP assignments! :yay:

I was highly impressed by how much she had progressed in artistic expression between her last junior and her first senior year, and am greatly looking forward to seeing her next season!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Karen for getting two GP assignments! :yay:

I was highly impressed by how much she had progressed in artistic expression between her last junior and her first senior year, and am greatly looking forward to seeing her next season!

Me too! :agree: I am really looking forward to her new SP ("On Golden Pond") and can't wait to see what her FS is. Does anyone know if she will do Glacier Falls/any summer comps?

thoakun

Final Flight
Can't believe that it's been nearly 8 months since Karen unveiled her SP music. Does any know what's the story behind her choosing to skate to and choreograph On Golden Pond? Golden Pond is the movie with Kathryn Hepburn right? I often vision the music as being suited for an older skater, who's presumably on the way out but keeps on fighting back and shows how age can be deceiving.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Can't believe that it's been nearly 8 months since Karen unveiled her SP music. Does any know what's the story behind her choosing to skate to and choreograph On Golden Pond? Golden Pond is the movie with Kathryn Hepburn right? I often vision the music as being suited for an older skater, who's presumably on the way out but keeps on fighting back and shows how age can be deceiving.

Mirai did it a while back I think... Karen did great in FS, hope this gives her a confidence booster. Love her costume, hehe... it kind of remind me of someone.

Keep going young Karen, you still have a long way to go!!

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Karen was magnificent in her free skate at NHK. She is as exuberant a skater as she is graceful, and her movements are becoming more and more polished before our eyes. When she skates with confidence like she did yesterday, everything comes together and was sharp, crisp and truly pleasing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbn5tp6bTQ

thoakun

Final Flight
Aww, can't get enough of Karen. Fierce competitor, exuberant performer and she never lost her elegance. Also admire that she had choreography input into both of her programs. The climb to the top will be hard and bumpy, but she's a gift a figure skating :love:. But damn, if you just look at her score, you'd think that she messed up big time :unsure:.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I just saw Karen's EX this season and its gorgeous!! :love: She always has such beautiful EX's and I love that it usually pays tribute to her heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkY0wFa22xM

It is so nice of the organisers to invite her to skate. I love House of the flying dagger ost, i believe she skated to it before as a juniors competition program.

Curious if she self choreographed it. Good to see her experimenting with costumes :)

---------

Ha found it! So cute, very Chun li from Street Fighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwr37fmR-vs

Last edited:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I am so happy for Karen :cheer: I wish her nothing but the best in the FS! What an amazing way to kick off the ladies event at US nationals :)