Alexandra Proklova | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Proklova

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Hope you are right. She looked a bit insecure to me. My only data point on her unrecovered injury is her answer "somewhat better" about her leg a little while ago. Hope she is fine and will show her best in Croatia.

starlight97

Final Flight
Unfortunately (barring a miracle in LP) no JGF for Sasha this year... :scowl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAp40WBwk78&list=UUbv3gsBXzIwotCt2JGySfJA
:no:
Would she have needed a 1. place finish or would 2. have been enough?
This makes me so sad. Because of this stupid injury !
I wouldn't be that scared for her if she was from an other country but in Russia this can end badly.

Of course she can still come back at nationals. But the others will have a huge advantage over her :(

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
She is 3rd. But she was so great in FS. She won't go to JGPF :(

I read your comments, papa;)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't even want to know, how she must feel right now - the only one of "fantastic four" left behind for the final...:cry:
Freaking injury! :bang:

ps. I hope my comments didn't hurt your brain - I'm Russians and Yulia fanatic! :laugh:

I always was Russians fanatic...

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't even want to know, how she must feel right now - the only one of "fantastic four" left behind for the final...:cry:
Freaking injury! :bang:

ps. I hope my comments didn't hurt your brain - I'm Russians and Yulia fanatic! :laugh:

She will be back! Her JPG events were still pretty decent. Obviously not the standard she would want, but she did get two bronze medals, so I don't believe the Russian Federation would drop her. At least now she has more time to put in some work and get it back, if she doesn't have to worry about JGPF. Senior nationals are around Christmas and junior nationals in January, so she has got time. She needs to deliver in January at junior nationals, to be sent to junior worlds.

On the other hand, because she did not qualify to JGPF, she did not automatically qualify to senior nationals, so she may have to start working soon on her senior programs to attend two Russian cups and get to senior nationals. But Sotskova missed senior nationals last year (did not wish to attend because she wanted concentrate on working towards junior nationals and junior worlds) and it did not hurt her, so maybe Proklova will stick only to junior nationals this year?.

papa

Match Penalty
Let's assume for a second that Sima, Zhenia and Masha take the podium of GPF.
Do you think it could hurt Sasha's scores in Russian Nationals? In a sense that judges will look at those three with kindlier eyes? :rolleye:

starlight97

Final Flight
Do you think it could hurt Sasha's scores in Russian Nationals? In a sense that judges will look at those three with kindlier eyes? :rolleye:

I know this is directed at hanca but I hope it's ok if I take up the question as well-

I personally think they will be a little bit based, but I don't think that's the problem.
I think the trouble is that she'll need to be best or second among the 4 at nationals to have a chance for worlds.
Say all 3 girls medal at the GPF - this counts for sth! And IMO even if say Serafima has a little meltdown at nationals and finishes 4th out of the four with Sasha in 3rd, they would still send Serafima.

It's a bit like with Ashley Wagner who finished 4th at US nationals. So theoretically she wouldn't have gone to Sochi. But since the 3rd place finisher had basically a standout skate that day and hadn't had any other noticeable achievements in the season, while Ashley had, Ashley was the one who was sent.
And I think this is fair.
So she'll need to be super ready at nationals, because I think even with a perfect skate, she'll struggle against Serafima and Evgenia this year.

But fingers crossed :)

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I would say yes since the 3 girls did show that they're capable of competitive against everyone. However, I do think that the judges will also think about Proklova's showing in last year's RusNats.

I definitely think that Alex is the underdog out of the four but at the same time, she is capable of dazzling everyone's socks off and can win against all three. Let's just hope that she recovers well from whatever injury she's experiencing and that she skates amazingly.

just trying to optimistic here...injuries are never fun but with Alex's capabilities, she can do it

gotoschool

Medalist
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed Alexandra Prokolova's performance in the LP in Croatia and thought she should have scored higher despite the jumping issues. Maybe the difficulties she has had in her other programs caused her scores to be held down a bit. She has nice posture entering and exiting her jumps, beautiful arm and leg extensions and engaging dramatic presence and movements. I thought her layback into a Biellman at the end was really beautiful. She just needs to work on her jumps and skating skills. It's a shame she won't be in the final. I wish her the best at nationals.

hanca

Record Breaker

Maybe slightly but not significantly. Russian Federation, unlike USFSA, sends skaters to competition based on their latest results. "you are only as good as your last competition." I agree that Proklova will go to the nationals disadvantaged, but if she skates decently and ends up first or second, she would have her spot certain. If she ends up third, it will depend who was fourth. I think Medvedeva and Sakhanovich would get benefit of doubts based on the fact that this season they both managed to win both JGP events. So if they end up fourth the Federation may send them instead of the person who placed third. If Sotskova was fourth, I can imagine the judges sending Proklova if Proklova is third. I know Sotskova had 2nd and 1st, but her scores are much lower than Medvedeva and Sakhanovich. And let's face it, Radionova+Proklova's coach has better standings than Sotskova's coach.

hanca

Record Breaker

Look at the last year:
JGPF: Sotskova first, Sakhanovich second, Medvedeva third. Proklova was the only one who did not medal and placed fifth. And yet at the nearest competition, Russian senior nationals, they did not hold it against her and she placed the highest out of those talented juniors. (Proklova placed there 4th, Sakhanovich 6th and Medvedeva 7th. Sotskova chose not to compete). On the other hand, placing so well at the senior nationals did not bring Proklova any extra bonus points during junior nationals, so Sakhanovich was 1st, Sotskova 2nd, Proklova 3rd and Medvedeva 4th.

starlight97

Final Flight
Look at the last year:
JGPF: Sotskova first, Sakhanovich second, Medvedeva third. Proklova was the only one who did not medal and placed fifth. And yet at the nearest competition, Russian senior nationals, they did not hold it against her and she placed the highest out of those talented juniors. (Proklova placed there 4th, Sakhanovich 6th and Medvedeva 7th. Sotskova chose not to compete). On the other hand, placing so well at the senior nationals did not bring Proklova any extra bonus points during junior nationals, so Sakhanovich was 1st, Sotskova 2nd, Proklova 3rd and Medvedeva 4th.

And it should be said that Proklova (despite her finish at senior nationals) was one of the four that was not sent to Junior Worlds.
Elena, Serafima and Evgenia went right?

And I also agree that Alexandra's coach has a better 'standing' shall we say, then others. It's the same story as with Adelina's coach. I know it exists but is it really that influential?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Proklova got injured before JWC and they sent Radinova(who I think was injured before Euros even) instead because she healed and was able to skate the Sochi Gala. If I remember correctly people were kind of surprised to see Radinova there because of the talk of her injury. Then Proklova got injured yet again after she finalized her new programs for this season. So it should also be noted that since March...Sasha has been injured most of the time and wasn't even jumping during the Russian test skates in September. She has had a rough go since Russian Nationals.

starlight97

Final Flight
Proklova got injured before JWC and they sent Radinova(who I think was injured before Euros even) instead because she healed and was able to skate the Sochi Gala. If I remember correctly people were kind of surprised to see Radinova there because of the talk of her injury. Then Proklova got injured yet again after she finalized her new programs for this season. So it should also be noted that since March...Sasha has been injured most of the time and wasn't even jumping during the Russian test skates in September. She has had a rough go since Russian Nationals.

Yes sth like this. Back then I read, that Elena was supposed to go (logic since Russia wants to medal and Elena was the strongest junior) but then she got injured and they named Alexandra as her replacement.
But shortly afterwards Elena recovered and could go, so sadly Sasha was out. I read an interview with her where, when asked the question, Sasha said "I will not talk about Junior Worlds".
So I really(would have) want(ed) her to go this time around..

hanca

Record Breaker
Russians are choosing who they sent to junior worlds according to the results of junior nationals. The first and second place have got their spot certain, the third place they sometimes consider whether there was someone who is stronger and could not attend nationals from some reason.

Last year's results at junior nationals Sakhanovich was 1st, Sotskova 2nd, Proklova 3rd and Medvedeva 4th. So the Russian Federation named Sakhanovich, Sotskova and Proklova. they were considering whether they should send Proklova or Radionova (Radionova was injured and therefore did not compete at the juniors nationals). After they named Sakhanovich, Sotskova and Proklova, Radionova healed and there was a discussion whether to replace Proklova with Radionova. They decided to swap them. Unfortunately, if you take someone off the main spot, you can't place them as alternate. So Proklova lost her spot. After that, Sotskova got injured and the only remaining skater from those talented five was Medvedeva; that's why they ended sending Radionova, Sakhanovich and Medvedeva.

Proklova was very unlucky. If Sotskova got injured just a week earlier, they would replace Sotskova with Radionova and Proklova would stay on the team. But once they took Proklova off the team, they couldn't put her back.

That's the reason I am saying, if she wants her spot at junior worlds guaranteed, she needs to be first or second at the nationals.