Sarah
Miki
Laura
Irina
Kimmie

Congrats to the winners!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Plushy and Joannie! Can't wait for the videos, but judging by the protocols they did very well. :dance:

I can't believe Honda tried 3A so many years after retirement. That was truly the crazy generation...

There was no doubt in my mind Plushy would win! And it's immensely satisfying to see that Evan only managed 5th place! :biggrin:
But Evan was the only other person who went clean on all jumping passes (according to the protocols). Credit to him for that. :yes:

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Congratulations to Plushy and Joannie! Can't wait for the videos, but judging by the protocols they did very well. :dance:

I can't believe Honda tried 3A so many years after retirement. That was truly the crazy generation...

But Evan was the only other person who went clean on all jumping passes (according to the protocols). Credit to him for that. :yes:

Did he? It looks like one of his jumps had a flaw called.

Edit to add~ Can't wait for video! I'm sad there were some falls on triple axels, though. I would have loved to see them clean, especially since Johnny posted a video of a costume test wherein he nailed his 3A.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Evan received all positive GOE for his jumping passes. He did, however, get one spin invalidated, and the judges gave him GOE ranging from +2 to -1 for another spin. I'll be curious to see what happened there... (Hondo actually got two spins invalidated. :shocked: Clearly this guy never trained in COP :laugh:).

SkateFan66

On the Ice

All of Lysacek's jumps had positive GOE. The "X" denotes that the jump was in the second half of the program and earned a 10 percent bonus in base value. Lysacek earned more points than Weir and Buttle on the jump elements. However, per the protocols, Lysacek lost a lot of points on spins (received no points for one spin).

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Evan received all positive GOE for his jumping passes. He did, however, get one spin invalidated, and the judges gave him GOE ranging from +2 to -1 for another spin. I'll be curious to see what happened there... (Hondo actually got two spins invalidated. :shocked: Clearly this guy never trained in COP :laugh:).

You posted this while I was writing my post. ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hail to the mighty King! Still the King after all these years.

I don't understand why people are taking satisfaction for Lysacek losing out. I am taking enormous satisfaction in Weir losing out. Go Oda, trying the quad! And yay, Jeff!

Esopian

Final Flight
I was excited last week about this, yet I'm still excited about this competition! I'm glad Plushy won! Can't wait for the videos to come out!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I just watched the broadcast and here are some thoughts:
I guess this isn't a competition to take too seriously so I mostly just watched it out of curiosity to see how everyone was doing after retirement.

Plushenko did a very clean program that was about as empty as a Christmas bauble. His 2 3A's were impressive and so his technical score was justified. But his PCS was the second highest of the night if I remember correctly -which is ridiculous. That said, it was enjoyable, and his ending pose in a fetal position lying down on the ice was hilarious.

Oda did a 4T-3T and it was CLEAN!! WHY did he retire?? He put more thought into his spins and transitions than Plushenko did so even though he had a turnout on his 3A and fell on the 3Lz he deserved his 2nd place finish. But, Oda and Tango do NOT mix.

I feel sorry for Lysachek...He did an entirely clean performance with 3 triples and a double and actually seemed to be selling the program. There were transitions, footwork, spins, but he was placed below Johnny and Jeffery who both had falls and stumbles on their jumps.

Jeffery looked so shocked at his 3rd place score and to be honest, since he made mistakes on 2 of his 3 jumping passes, and his jumps were not very difficult, I think he should have placed 4th, with Johnny or Evan placing third.

Jeffery and Johnny gave the best artistic performances for me. Both very different, but well-thought out concepts and well executed, besides the jumps.

I covered my eyes for most of Honda's performance. Except the spread eagles and a nice 3 salchow, it was awful. BTW, I LOVE Honda but he was obviously quite out of competitive shape here. He seemed a bit sheepish but enjoying himself. He's a jump coach and trainer now, so he doesn't do a lot of shows or any sort of competitive skating.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Joanie was SO impressive! WOW. Everything was polished, everything was beautiful. She was rightfully the run-away winner.

Miki had a terrible but visually comical fall out of nowhere. Both her feet went flying forward and she was flat on her back before anyone had time to realize what was happening. She seemed so embarrassed. :eek::
But she got a big cheer from the audience.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko's command of a sheet of ice is unbelievable. You might disparage him with comments like "empty as a Christmas bauble" but he still commands that ice like no-one else and forces you to watch him. There is not a skater in the world today to match the power he has, the presence he has on the ice.

As to Lysacek - you do realise he had an invalid spin, right? Getting 0 points for a spin will do your score bad things every time.

I actually liked Lysacek a lot more than I thought I would. He seems to have grown a personality on the ice (though I loathe the lyrics for Roxanne). But I did yell at my computer screen "you idiot!" three times when he spun - on the first spin the flying camel, but then he did a cross-foot spin out of it which could be considered a feature which would make the spin a CoSp but with no sit position, bringing it down. Then in the CoSp he did near the end he didn't do an upright position at all, which also brings it down, and I don't think he held the final spin for long enough! That was all just throwing points away. Sigh.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Plushenko's command of a sheet of ice is unbelievable. You might disparage him with comments like "empty as a Christmas bauble" but he still commands that ice like no-one else and forces you to watch him. There is not a skater in the world today to match the power he has, the presence he has on the ice.

As to Lysacek - you do realise he had an invalid spin, right? Getting 0 points for a spin will do your score bad things every time.

Yes, I did see the scores. Too bad for Evan. -He's not my cup of tea, but he had a good program this time, so it's a pity he couldn't hold on to that spin.

I must say though, for someone who usually seems to really care about accurate scores given for PCS...you don't seem to be too put out at the scores Plushenko got. Transitions, Skating Skills, Composition...??

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I must say though, for someone who usually seems to really care about accurate scores given for PCS...you don't seem to be too put out at the scores Plushenko got. Transitions, Skating Skills, Composition...??

Pro comp. It doesn't matter here and it's always going to be silly. I mean, it's not like Plushy could schmooze the judges from the ice at a real comp.