2014 Skate Canada Short Dance 10/31 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Short Dance 10/31

rain

Record Breaker
I didn't like it the W/P lift either! Just watched the video and I said the same thing.......fix it!

Yeah, it's funny, this was exactly what I immediately said to the people watching with me. I liked the rest of the program, but hated the lift. It was just boring, and the positions were wishy-washy and not particularly attractive or even interesting.

This was a great performance for them, but I did think they still looked like they were thinking through parts of it — but that's pretty normal for this early in the season. Particularly on the twizzles I thought they looked like they were approaching it very cautiously.

But for me, the program I like the best is Gilles and Poirier's by a mile. Love, love, love this short dance. Nothing else I've seen so far comes close. Too bad about the disaster on the twizzles. The judges agree with me about the choreography, I think. With the points they lost on the twizzles this scores second best of the night, so at least they know they're going in the right direction. Can't wait to see this as the season progresses. It was already quite polished, but I still saw a few spots that could use an added flourish.

rain

Record Breaker
Weak Ankles, I've got to agree with you and Tracy Wilson that M&K didn't deliver that program with a lot of performance pizzazz. I didn't enjoy it at all- in fact, I liked it less than any of the other programs (not in a scoring sense; I just didn't enjoy it).

Ditto here. I almost couldn't believe how this stood up and stood up and stood up in the standings. It was so completely unmemorable and blah. That's not a complaint one usually has about a Russian ice dance team.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Hurtado and Diaz :love: The most engaging dance of the night. Antonio Najarro really knows how to choreograph for ice dance, genius. Hope they pull up with their FD, beautiful!!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Ditto here. I almost couldn't believe how this stood up and stood up and stood up in the standings. It was so completely unmemorable and blah. That's not a complaint one usually has about a Russian ice dance team.

It's all about the levels baby the technique. And speed, speed, speed. As soon as the other pairs get this, M/K will not be so high in the rankings. Until then we'll have to deal.

rain

Record Breaker
It's all about the levels baby the technique. And speed, speed, speed. As soon as the other pairs get this, M/K will not be so high in the rankings. Until then we'll have to deal.

Yeah, I don't think anybody's debating the technical aspect, just the performance. I also think their placement has a lot to do with the costly early season errors from some of the other teams.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For those who are wondering (I'm wondering haha):

Top 12 overall scores
Chock/Bates: 68.96
Weaver/Poje: 68.61
Shibutanis: 64.14
Monko/Khaliavin: 59.62
Hubbell/Donahue: 59.29
Gilles/Portier: 57.35
Stepnova/Bukin: 56.37
Aldridge/Eaton: 56.13
Testa/Csolley: 55.63
Zhiganshina/Gazsi:55.35
Cannusico/McManus: 55.14
Orford/Williams 55.10

Top 12 TES after 2 events
Chock/Bates: 35.39
Weaver/Poje: 34.93
Shibutanis: 31.59
Monko/Khalivin: 30.40
Testa/Csolley:30.23
Cannusico/McManus: 30.04
Hubbell/Donohue: 29.07
Aldridge/Eaton: 28.84
Orford/Willians: 28.39
Paradis/Ouellette: 28.26
Stepnova/Bukin: 26.88
Giles/Portier: 26.62

Top 12 PCS after 2 events

Weaver/Poje: 34.68
Chock/Bates: 33.57
Shibutanis: 32.55
Giles/Portier: 30.73
Zhiganshina/Gazsi: 30.40
Hubbell/Donahue: 30.22
Stepnova/Bukin: 29.49
Monko/Khalivin: 29.22
Guignard/Fabbri: 28.55
Aldridge/Eaton: 27.29
Orford/Williams: 26.71
Hurtado/Diaz: 25.91

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 68.61 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) - 59.62 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 59.29 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 57.35 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON (USA) - 56.13 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 55.35 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ (ESP) - 52.43 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Elisabeth PARADIS / Francois-Xavier OUELLETTE (CAN) - 50.35 Short Dance

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I just watched the videos without the scores before I looked at the order, and boy did I not expect that order after I saw them all. I'm no judge though of course. :laugh:

elif

Medalist
Very very old-fashioned dance from Weaver/Poje. They reminds me early russian teams under new COP, still trying to skate like 1980's... :disapp: I expected something more passionate from them. Look at their 2009 Flamenco OD and watch how they are highlighting the music with every move.:cool: No wonder they almost lost to Chock/Bates this year...

bramweld

Record Breaker
Very very old-fashioned dance from Weaver/Poje. They reminds me early russian teams under new COP, still trying to skate like 1980's... :disapp: I expected something more passionate from them. Look at their 2009 Flamenco OD and watch how they are highlighting the music with every move.:cool: No wonder they almost lost to Chock/Bates this year...

Both of their programs are like this. Chock and Bates have them beat this season if they continue to improve.

Alba

Record Breaker

I agree, unfortunately, with regards to their FD.
I'm surprised with Camarlengo, because he's much better than this.
The music version of Vivaldi is horrible, IMO, and that takes a lot from that program and make it look and sound boring.

Glad about M&K, I like them and I think they could become a great and unique couple.
I'm sorry about Hurtado&Diaz and P&X. Love both these two couples, but H&D are coming from an injury so maybe they're still having some problems right now. The young canadians will be great in a near future. W&P watch out. ;)

slider11

Medalist
Really liked W/P; they just need to adjust the lift. I was really loving Gilles and Poirier until that twizzle disaster. I think the cape thing is cool and innovative. That's been their mantra. I think the size of the rink threw off Paul and he ran out of ice. If their twizzles had been decent they would have been second or third. Can't wait for the FD!

sisinka

Medalist

Bramweld said:
Both of their programs are like this. Chock and Bates have them beat this season if they continue to improve.

I think that you mix Spanish dance style and entertaining dance style.

Once requirements want Spanish dance, you shouldn’t expect a Moulin Rouge or Cabaret routine (but surprisingly Madison Chock tries to go in that direction). It is a mistake of ISU that they came with Spanish dance expecting that this may be very entertaining for every figure skating fan who wants to see a show (sometimes no matter what music plays).

Why should Chock & Bates beat Weaver & Poje? Spanish dance is executed by Weaver, not by Chock. Weaver brings Spanish feeling on the ice, not flirtatious and coquettish Chock. More Spanish style executes Poje, not Bates.

Why some couples put so much attention into Spanish moves and costumes and mimics, why they take classes with Spanish dancers…..when Spanish program and Spanish dance style is the last thing which is important….and certainly it is when you say that Chock & Bates have better SD than Weaver & Poje.

Chock & Bates can be more entertaining for some skating fans – that is OK and fully understandable, but task was a Spanish dance…and in this task Kaitlyn & Andrew are highly above Madison & Evan. And not only Kaitlyn & Andrew.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think that you mix Spanish dance style and entertaining dance style.

Once requirements want Spanish dance, you shouldn’t expect a Moulin Rouge or Cabaret routine (but surprisingly Madison Chock tries to go in that direction). It is a mistake of ISU that they came with Spanish dance expecting that this may be very entertaining for every figure skating fan who wants to see a show (sometimes no matter what music plays).

Why should Chock & Bates beat Weaver & Poje? Spanish dance is executed by Weaver, not by Chock. Weaver brings Spanish feeling on the ice, not flirtatious and coquettish Chock. More Spanish style executes Poje, not Bates.

Why some couples put so much attention into Spanish moves and costumes and mimics, why they take classes with Spanish dancers…..when Spanish program and Spanish dance style is the last thing which is important….and certainly it is when you say that Chock & Bates have better SD than Weaver & Poje.

Chock & Bates can be more entertaining for some skating fans – that is OK and fully understandable, but task was a Spanish dance…and in this task Kaitlyn & Andrew are highly above Madison & Evan. And not only Kaitlyn & Andrew.

Totally agree

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Mrs p C/Buckland aren't on the list.They scored SD 64.85 at Nice .I know they have only done one competition so far.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Yay for M/K. Really impressive result for them. Although I did not like their dance too much. And I'm sure they'll be lower after FD. But I'm still hoping for Top 3 :)
G/P and W/P are the only pairs I enjoyed yesterday. And probably Hurtado/Diaz. Everyone else... meh. The competition was boring, IMO.

elif

Medalist
Just curious, what Weaver/Poje does better than Chock/Bates in spanish dance? All I see other than elements is couple of small lifts done while music jumps/high (Weaver/Poje 1, Weaver/Poje 2 Chock/Bates 1), girls turning on the ice while music jumps (Weaver/Poje, Chock/Bates, Chock/Bates), arms snapping while music jumps. (Weaver, Weaver 2, Chock) There is several more arm snapping in both programs, from both men and lady. They are not big movements, so I couldn't list every one of them. Point is choreograpchly I can't see different approach to spanish dance, don't think one is better than the other.

I never said Chock/Bates better than Weaver/Poje. I don't like both team's music choices, especially in paso doble sequences. I can't get into this kind of spanish (!?) music.:disapp: