2014 Skate Canada Pairs FS 11/01 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Pairs FS 11/01

jasperx

Rinkside
I think u were misled,"cong tong" is abbreviated "classmate Cong Han"(classmate in chinese pronunciation is "tong xue").Han is cute and young,taining really hard every day,just like the model of good student in teachers' eyes,that's why we called him(Sui is not mentioned at all) cong tong as a nick name~

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 210.74 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 184.64 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV (RUS) - 175.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE (USA) - 165.91 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 161.79 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 158.82 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
7. Brittany JONES / Joshua REAGAN (CAN) - 146.77 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 145.89 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

Medal Ceremony

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think u were misled,"cong tong" is abbreviated "classmate Cong Han"(classmate in chinese pronunciation is "tong xue").Han is cute and young,taining really hard every day,just like the model of good student in teachers' eyes,that's why we called him(Sui is not mentioned at all) cong tong as a nick name~

Thank you, jasperx. :bow:
It so happens that "tong xue" is one of the few words of Chinese that I know -- so I like this explanation of Cong's nickname very much. :cool:
Good to know that it refers only to him, and not to the partnership. :yes:

yyyskate

Record Breaker

I dont know the exact origin of that nickname, But Chinese figure skating community call them "Cong Ge" and "Tong Mei" separately. "Ge" means older brother and "Mei" means younger sister. "Cong" obviously is originated from Han's given name, I am not sure how Sui, got the nickname "Tong". Perhaps something related to her flexibility or body type when she was still a junior.that she did not have womanly waist line yet, so that kinda children's "H" body type, resemble a barrel. which has the pronunciation "Tong". And Han hold/lift Sui like holding/liftig a barrel.:laugh: But I am not sure. in all means, that's their loving nicknames among Chinese figure skating community, and Both of them are cute as a button:laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I found the LPs, overall, a bit disappointing compared to the SPs.

D/R are the rightful winners, of course, and I commend them for going for all the big tricks. But the moment the program stops, I forget what they just skated. I like Sui/Han very much, but their LP didn't have the personality of their SP. Maybe it's just because of the mistakes; I suspect I'll find it beautiful if they skate it cleanly. Tarasova/Morozov? Nice lines, but that doesn't equal nice performance for me.

M-T/M v. 2 still look promising, but... can we ban lyrics again next season!? I actually liked the program until the lyrics kicked in. So many people doing that this season, like they're testing the waters, but it just makes the lyrics even more jarring when it comes in at the halfway point like a party crasher.

rvi5

On the Ice
...D/R are the rightful winners, of course, and I commend them for going for all the big tricks. But the moment the program stops, I forget what they just skated...

I guess it is as Kaitlyn Weaver mentioned about themselves in the interview after their competition (although they were speaking more long term)...

"I hope they think of the emotion they felt. People may not remember what we did, or what we said, or what program we skated, but they will remember the way they felt."

lcd

Match Penalty
It's pretty handy that "M-T/M" still works as "initials" for Kirsten's team :laugh:

Thought they had a very solid debut. I'm hopeful and will be rooting for them. Fun to watch. Truly fun.

It's pretty handy that "M-T/M" still works as "initials" for Kirsten's team :laugh:

Thought they had a very solid debut. I'm hopeful and will be rooting for them. Fun to watch. Truly fun.

I agree! And their gala performance today just made me feel that even more. :)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

Moore-Towers & Marinaro had a decent outing for their first competition together. They work well together overall and look nice together, too.

They did have quite a few technical mistakes, particularly in the free program, so obviously this season will be a learning experience for them and Kirsten looks likely to drop several places in the standings (as she did at this event) while things get off the ground.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I dont know the exact origin of that nickname, But Chinese figure skating community call them "Cong Ge" and "Tong Mei" separately. "Ge" means older brother and "Mei" means younger sister. "Cong" obviously is originated from Han's given name, I am not sure how Sui, got the nickname "Tong". Perhaps something related to her flexibility or body type when she was still a junior.that she did not have womanly waist line yet, so that kinda children's "H" body type, resemble a barrel. which has the pronunciation "Tong". And Han hold/lift Sui like holding/liftig a barrel.:laugh: But I am not sure. in all means, that's their loving nicknames among Chinese figure skating community, and Both of them are cute as a button:laugh:

Belated thanks for this additional explanation. (LOL, Ge and Mei are familiar words to me: Jie Jie, Ge Ge, Mei Mei, Dee Dee. :laugh:)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I agree! And their gala performance today just made me feel that even more. :)

The Skate Canada gala was broadcast on TSN this afternoon, so hopefully more people got to see it.

It looks like Kirsten & Michael are working well together so far, and Michael especially looks enthusiastic to have the opportunity to skate with someone with World & Olympic experience. I get the sense that Michael is happy to learn from Kirsten's greater level of experience. :)