2014 Skate Canada Ladies FS 11/01 | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Ladies FS 11/01

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I agree that Satoko should have received higher components. Satoko has class at such a young age. In a way she reminds me of Tara Lipinski because she is young and small but is still refined and shows finesse. She may not be the most mature but she has a real program with detail from Lori Nichol just like Tara Lipinski and her olympic Sandra Bezic program. IMO she should have won this event, her jumps were marked harshly because she is a small jumper but i dont think she deserved UR's.

Satoko is not comparable to Tara in my eyes, Tara is more about energy and athleticism whereas Satoko is more subtle, about music and fine technique. I was pretty bothered by Tara's low jumps too (despite their fast rotation) but for some reason I am not as bothered by Satoko's jumps; could be because her technique is better than Tara's, especially on the toepick jumps.

I agree that Satoko was underscored here. Should have gotten at least 2nd place. Figure skating is becoming less and less of a sport I believe in with every new Grand Prix, I really hope this trend doesn't escalate. :mad:

Someone posted:
Anna looks even more mature than Adelina IMO

:laugh: Sorry, but since when is fist-pumping, judge-waving, and rather mechanical Adelina is a new standard of maturity? I would be seriously concerned if Anna was less mature than Adelina, haha.

P.S. I think Anna is my favorite Russian lady now. She just has that humble northern european flair that we were talking about in the SA thread, I like how she treats herself and the ice and the skating. She needs to take some arms lessons from Yuna though, I liked how she used the gloves to highlight her arms but they needed more refinement and control. Oh and stop looking down at the ice 80% of the time!

skateluver

Rinkside
I totally love your description of Satoko's performance "gotoschool". I felt exactly the same way. For me it was the best performance of the night. I also thought she was expressive in a subtle way. She looked beautiful and not childlike. I think hers is my favorite program of the season so far.
I also liked Anna and think she deserved to win. I would have placed Satoko second but I am happy about her third place too. Ashley's program did nothing to me. It was unmemorable. I loved her programs by Mills and wish they would have continued to work together. I am a bit disappointed in Ashley's performance and program. I expected more. It seems to me that she is not advancing technically and her fear of making mistakes takes away from her performance.

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Playing devil's advocate here, but there are times there has been valid judging disputes over the years, so the judge is always right principle doesn't always apply.
I agree that judges are not always right, but I don't like when people just state that judges are wrong and don't try to explain that somehow. For example, shine wrote about TR, but if we check Anna's program we find quite many various transitions of high difficulty and good quality, so I'm just thinking that he/she underestimates Anna's program and there's no way we could call such position an unbiassed one.

Moreover, when I read phrases like "Figure skating is becoming less and less of a sport" (© Miss Ice), I think people are a bit presumptuous. From sport point of view, this competition won a girl who performed the strongest technical content in a better way than others, along with rather complicated transitions, with good speed and energy. If this is not sport, what actually is?
In fact, we need to say that it is not a tv-show, where one could win just 'cause he gets more likes from public. But it is sport, for sure.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The biggest gap in recent memory is the 10 point one Carolina got at Worlds. I think her TES was 55 and the PCS was 65 or so.

I think Ashley was scored accurately - she really sold that program and I thought her speed was better than last season. Her spins were faster, too.

Actually it was not 10 points, but 20+ points gap in the FS alone, in fact it beat her own PCS at Sochi.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/wc2014_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

I happen to disagree she has the best skating skills in the world, as her later works clearly shown she has generally diluted her content and choreography and she has learned to slow down for better consistency. It was a case of skating smarter and pick the right European package...although I do have to take off my hat to her at her Olympics outing, that was fantastic! She also has received more than her share of generous scores through out her career so the judge's generosity at her final competition sums hers up pretty well (more than they have ever done for Yuna anyway). So much so she made the recent over scoring of Sotnkova's 15 points gap (196.31 combined score, 90.27 TES and 105.04 IN PCS.) at a competition in Russia last week only qualifies as a mini Kostner :p

In any case I agree Ashley wasn't hold up, she delivered to her usual PCS standard, her records are in black and white, at least it was consistent with her past records.

fairly4

Medalist
for me what I saw so far, I have to apologize to Courtney especially in the short she was doing so well and I said to the tv I hope she doesn't fall and guess what happen she made the mistake with the double lutz. I know dumb, but just before I said it she was doing so well. my observations for the u.s ladies, so far in the senior grand prix series,
Ashley-great job--consistent, reliable, count on as always,
Courtney keep up the great work,
Mirai, keep pushing yourself,
Samantha-great job, believe in yourself m
Gracie-I don't know what to say. I don't know what to think, I am not sure what you was focused on your skating or your music. I hope former. It is easy to get caught up in lyric singng and not think what you are doing. I have done that at work, found myself singing outloud until boss told me to shut up/quiet down or turn it off. it was to easy to focus on musical words instead of program.
you can do the program .

Russia, elizaveta great way to impress, elena great job, anna to me look easy, but didn't take off hiccups on landings in short but hey you made it look easy, fluid.
sataoko, thank you, great job.
thank you for entertaining, and wonderments of ladies.

men, keep it up. japan men, wow.
u.s. men keep it up.
nam-no show off program.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
P.S. I think Anna is my favorite Russian lady now. She just has that humble northern european flair that we were talking about in the SA thread, I like how she treats herself and the ice and the skating. She needs to take some arms lessons from Yuna though, I liked how she used the gloves to highlight her arms but they needed more refinement and control. Oh and stop looking down at the ice 80% of the time!

I rather like Anna, too. Her jumps are great. But I don't think she is likely to do much to improve her presentation. It's not the Russian way, or so it seems. If she were skating for the US, I think she could be re-packaged and emerge as a star. She has the look, the body line and, of course, the jumps.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I rather like Anna, too. Her jumps are great. But I don't think she is likely to do much to improve her presentation. It's not the Russian way, or so it seems. If she were skating for the US, I think she could be re-packaged and emerge as a star. She has the look, the body line and, of course, the jumps.
Well, because Russian has many talented ladies they couldn't pay attention to all. :cry: To think that Anna Pogo is just no.4 or even 5 in her country. I have to say this is the curse for Russian FS and to the FS world because I want to see them ALL going to WC.
Anna has litte chance going to WC this season, now that Radionova is senior. :cry:
Satoko, on the other hand, I can see her finish in the top 7 at WC 2015.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
So much so she made the recent over scoring of Sotnkova's 15 points gap (196.31 combined score, 90.27 TES and 105.04 IN PCS.) at a competition in Russia last week only qualifies as a mini Kostner :p

Wow! Do you have the link to the protocols?

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
The biggest gap in recent memory is the 10 point one Carolina got at Worlds. I think her TES was 55 and the PCS was 65 or so.

I think Ashley was scored accurately - she really sold that program and I thought her speed was better than last season. Her spins were faster, too.

Are you just referring to Worlds? Or international competitions in general. The biggest difference I remember is Euro's last year.

Carolina's LP TES 52.20
Carolina's LP PCS 71.02

http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2014/SEG004.HTM

I take it back World LP is the highest difference I know. A mere tenth away from 20 points.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/SEG004.HTM

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I wonder why Sotnikova's programs aren't put up by the FSRussia Youtube channel, while Sakhanovich's (and everyone else's) is ? :think:

No big wonder. Although technically she skated competitively in fact it was more like a test skate to see to what extent she is ready to overcome her injury. With so many "friends" around the world waiting for any chance to bite the decision not to show her program is quite obvious.

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh: Sorry, but since when is fist-pumping, judge-waving, and rather mechanical Adelina is a new standard of maturity? I would be seriously concerned if Anna was less mature than Adelina, haha.
Why, among the Russian contenders, Adelina is the oldest (18 years old) so of course people expect her to look the most mature among the girls. It's nothing to laugh at. Liza is 17. Yulia, Radionova, Anna are 16. The rest is 14.
To say Anna Pogo have the most mature looks aming them is fair, even though she skates sloppiest. But she has the "looks". That's good for her.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Interesting discussion about Anna's PCS... I'm one of those who think that (as I stated in the SP thread) she's been highly overscored in this competition, and it would be very interesting to have one thread where we can compare artistically the different programs of the top girls this season, with advantages/disadvantages of the different choices, how the judges mark them, our different opinions etc. (especially in comparison to last year's Olympic PCS inflation) :think:

shine

Record Breaker
1. Not "Pogoriyala" but Pogorilaya.
2. Not world medalist but just 4-th place.
Two errors in few words, isn't it to much for an expert? :)
1) So I made a mistake with her name and I misremembered her placement at Worlds, what does that have to do with my ability to evaluate the actual skating?
2) When did I ever pronounce myself as an expert?
Nice try.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Anyone who wants to start a thread about anything can always do so. We always need lots of new threads. :)