State of Russian ice dance | Golden Skate

State of Russian ice dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
I believe it is in the same position that ladies was after slutskaya retired and now you have ice dance historic low. Can karponosov fix it?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Karponosov (and Linichuk) haven't had much luck in US ice dance in years. If they/he can't put together a team to win either US seniors or juniors, I don't see how he is going to suddenly make a huge difference in Russia.

However, two good Russian teams split and swapped partners. None of them forgot how to skate when they switched. I expect one or both of the new teams to do well. If Bobrova & Soloviev heal up in time to get in shape for Worlds, they will be in the mix for podium spot., IMO.

And there are a flock of promising junior teams.

So you should not declare Russian dance dead yet.

gmyers

Record Breaker

I worry about her new partner! And the fact that she is in a program with a terrible technical system.

Karponosov (and Linichuk) haven't had much luck in US ice dance in years. If they/he can't put together a team to win either US seniors or juniors, I don't see how he is going to suddenly make a huge difference in Russia.

However, two good Russian teams split and swapped partners. None of them forgot how to skate when they switched. I expect one or both of the new teams to do well. If Bobrova & Soloviev heal up in time to get in shape for Worlds, they will be in the mix for podium spot., IMO.

And there are a flock of promising junior teams.

So you should not declare Russian dance dead yet.

You make the good point of is it symbolic of bad governance that Russian fed would put such an unsuccessful (in recent years) coach in charge! So unsuccessful and so infamous for problems of program and tech.

The key to Russian ladies renaissance was I believe in new coaches people never heard of really or they had heard of but were not main establishment coaches doing new things. So is old time establishment like korponosov just a big mistake?!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Yanovskaya/Mozgov are future of russian Ice dancing. Future world champions. And I think I/Z and/or S/K will make some damage too. They're young and talented. And B/S are not done yet. IMO, russian Ice dancing is now at least in no worse position than at the start of the previous Olympic cycle.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well they are in a lull for them and with bad timing and bad luck(B and S) they may have let Chock and Bates establish themselves on the podium. So far Stephanova and Bukin and the Skate Canada team are a bust so they need one of the new "split" teams to wow the judges.

Mattieu

Medalist
I can't see how Elena training with such weak technical coaches as Kustorova is going to be a big success.
I am expecting them to be beaten easy by Papadakis/Cizeron next week :)
All hopes for Russia now lie with Sinitsina/Katsalapov in my opinion.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I can't see how Elena training with such weak technical coaches as Kustorova is going to be a big success. I am expecting them to be beaten easy by Papadakis/Cizeron next week :) All hopes for Russia now lie with Sinitsina/Katsalapov in my opinion.

Nikita was the weaker partner when he was with Elena and now he has the weaker partner in Sinitsina. Ruslan is wonderfully expressive and a good match for Elena. I don't think either pair is going to come out and win, it's going to take time.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I'd wait for S/K and I/Z to compete. After that we can finally say if the Russians are competetive in ice dance.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Alarm clock goes off.....!!!!

TBH ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz was how I felt about both GP ID gold medal performances but I guess I just don't get this discipline at all. Regardless.....I love Elena!!!

bekalc

Record Breaker
I worry about her new partner! And the fact that she is in a program with a terrible technical system.

You make the good point of is it symbolic of bad governance that Russian fed would put such an unsuccessful (in recent years) coach in charge! So unsuccessful and so infamous for problems of program and tech.

The key to Russian ladies renaissance was I believe in new coaches people never heard of really or they had heard of but were not main establishment coaches doing new things. So is old time establishment like korponosov just a big mistake?!

Just because they have not had stars in recent years does not make them weak coaches.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Alarm clock goes off.....!!!!

TBH ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz was how I felt about both GP ID gold medal performances but I guess I just don't get this discipline at all. Regardless.....I love Elena!!!

Any ID preformances from both events you did not feel 'ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz' about? :laugh:

elif

Medalist
I can't see how Elena training with such weak technical coaches as Kustorova is going to be a big success.
All hopes for Russia now lie with Sinitsina/Katsalapov in my opinion.

Zoueva even worse technical coach than Kustarova. :rolleye: She doesn't understand rules at all. She didn't figured out what is wrong with Virtue/Moir rotational lift last year (first 3 competition it was level1 or level3, she changed in nationals too) she didn't understand what is wrong with Shibutanis twizzle this year. (So far we see two competitions from them and it is still level3) She still tries 4 set of twizzles. Good luck with that :laugh:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Let's wait awhile before gnashing our teeth and getting Old Testament-styles.
Stepanova / Bukin proved they have the goods, but they're young and they can fix those twizzles to maximize the scoring.
Bobrova / Soloviev are out on injury but they may not be done quite yet, let's wait until Euros.
And Iliynkh / Zhigansin and Sinitsina / Katsalapov are both debuting their new partnerships in the coming weeks.
If we're going to declare a moratorium, let's wait until the season is over before making our conclusions.
Four years ago, B/S and I/K weren't considered factors. At the end of the quad, both had team OGM and I/K had the bronze.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think a series of events/bad luck may force a "lull" in Russian ice dance this year. The musical chairs of the top young teams, plus Bobrova/Soloviev's injury... But I expect them to come back strong in the second half of the season or next year.

...Why is Stepanova/Bukin a bust? They just had their first GP (EDIT: okay, not first GP, but pretty close to it), and they won bronze as everyone expected. Surely they can't be considered failures just 'cause they didn't beat Chock/Bates and the Shibutanis?

uhh

Medalist
I think a series of events/bad luck may force a "lull" in Russian ice dance this year. The musical chairs of the top young teams, plus Bobrova/Soloviev's injury... But I expect them to come back strong in the second half of the season or next year.

...Why is Stepanova/Bukin a bust? They just had their first GP (EDIT: okay, not first GP, but pretty close to it), and they won bronze as everyone expected. Surely they can't be considered failures just 'cause they didn't beat Chock/Bates and the Shibutanis?

They are not progressing at all. Mid 50s in the SD and under 90 in their FD is not good enough, it's their 2nd senior season after 2 very successful junior years, and they should be making a big big push now. Ilinykh and Katsalapov were crucified for getting higher scores than that in their 1st senior season, and they hadn't had the time together that S/B have had, I am very surprised that people seem to be OK with the dreck S/B have presented this season. He should find himself a better partner as their coaching team is making no progress in addressing the major flaws in her basic skating, and that will always hold them back.

volk

Final Flight
It would be more appropriate to make a similar thread about Russian men.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
They are not progressing at all. Mid 50s in the SD and under 90 in their FD is not good enough, it's their 2nd senior season after 2 very successful junior years, and they should be making a big big push now. Ilinykh and Katsalapov were crucified for getting higher scores than that in their 1st senior season, and they hadn't had the time together that S/B have had, I am very surprised that people seem to be OK with the dreck S/B have presented this season. He should find himself a better partner as their coaching team is making no progress in addressing the major flaws in her basic skating, and that will always hold them back.
Dreck? Their lifts and spins are quite interesting, even innovative. The twizzles didn't work out for them, but that wasn't due to lack of skill. Some of their footwork and skating do get sloppy (especially noticeable at the end of their SD, imo). But I'm not sure it's time to hit the panic button on the second GP (where they medalled) or to get in on the musical chairs of split teams.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I think it's going to get interesting to watch. In the mix we have:

-Bobrova/Soloviev, loved by judges, usually consistent when other teams are not, but prone to injuries
-Stepanova/Bukin, innovating twizzles and showing creativity, solid podium finish at second GP event, loved by Tarasova
-Yanovskaya/Mozgov, everything but a lock for winning Junior Worlds, consistantly fairly good, well matched on the ice, they're dating - will it be a chemistry increase or lead to ruin should they split?
-Monko/Khalavin, very good short dance, good debut at GPs, mainly lost a medal from careless mistakes in the FD
-Zahorski/Guerreiro, how will they rise in rankings and when will France release her?

and lastly:

-Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, great emoters, good actors, clicked fast and apparently look quite good together
-Sinitsina/Katsalapov, look good together, powerful coach in the form of Zueva

I think there's not a lack of talent, but a lack of us having one team that looks poised to dominate - it's not 'Russian ice dance is failing' it's 'Russian ice dance is unpredictable,' which isn't as big of a problem. ;)

Last edited: