State of Russian ice dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

State of Russian ice dance

evangeline

Record Breaker
The only realistic thing that can be done is to put I/K back together. There is not much to do other than that. It would appear that all current Russian dance pairs lack good basics.

No way. Ilinykh/Katsalapov couldn't even put it together enough to win a GP event. The only senior competition they ever won was a B-event called the Crystal Skate of Romania! They had one great competition--the 2014 Olympics, and that was basically it. No Worlds medal despite 2014 Worlds practically delivered on a plate for them to win. Even in their best season (2013-2014), they were placing off the podium at GP events (NHK 2013).

Yes, I/K were incredibly talented but competitively they were a hot mess.

bwayrose7

On the Ice
Oh please do not start with that crap! I/Z have been together for 11 months! They have made great stride in that time. Let's not forget that Elena and Ruslan both skated in the Olympics and Worlds. Then the split drama. These 2 have been working non stop since then. You can't say the same for S/B and M/K, who can't even match I/Z in PCS. Neither of those teams had to deal with the latter. Their performances are
More disappointing than I/Z, especially since both teams were crying that they weren't backed by the Fed and the judges! S/B Euros bronze was a gift. Both teams have been around longer yet I/Z are jumping in the World rankings. Yes, I/Z made a mistake on the FD but they are 11 months old as a partnership. With more time they will be challenging for titles.

Hear, hear!! I/Z came into this season with everything to prove, and maybe I'm just partial because I'm a fan, but I think they absolutely exceeded expectations. Their SD was one of the best in the world this year, even if they didn't perform it up to par at Worlds, and their FD was about as good as one can expect considering it was a generic piece thrown together quickly for a team that was also thrown together quickly. The leaps they have made this season are astonishing, and from the looks of things, they have a fantastic partnership that should help smooth the way. Maybe they won't ever be gold medalists, it's too early in the quad to tell, but I think they're going to continue to grow quickly and become a force to be reckoned with. Have faith!

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
My predictions for next season.(I don't know how, but I often get these things right)
In order of possible Russian Nationals finishes.
1. I/Z coming with 2 strong programmes which reflect their style, are fresh and they love both of them. I feel like the problems with their FD this year was also due to the fact that they were not sure of that and therefore could not 100% feel it. I think they will have 2 GP podium finishes and hopefully GPF. I see them being National champions and podium finish at Europeans.
2. B/S coming back stronger than ever. However, they will have a tight competition with I/Z but I feel they will come second.
3. Y/M have a strong senior GP debut, clean which is the most important. I feel they can come as close as 4th place at their GPs, possibly top 3 finish at Rostelecom cup.
4. S/K improve their levels but still struggle to be on top. Top 4 finish at Nationals.
5. S/B will coninue being innovative. However, if their team keeps promoting them as they are the best I see too much confidence which will not help them. Stepanova needs better SS, but they are not improving. Still politicking remains on their side...
6. M/K are decent skaters, but they are boring. (I finally found the right word cause I couldn't even care watching their SD till the end). In ID you need to have it-factor and they are missing in this aspect.
etc.

Off topic: Just about my weird predictions. Last year when I found out Katsalapov left Elena, my first thought was that he will be skating with Sinitsina(no idea why). Then it was true. After that people thought they will be training with Morozov, I thought right away about Zueva. And then you know who their coach is now xD

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yanovskaya / Mozgov looked brilliant at world juniors. Whether that translates remains to be seen, but if there's any heirs apparent to Russian ice dance, it may be them.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Stepanova should have gotten extra points for being Barbie on Ice. I thought their FD was great, I couldn't keep my eyes off her. Those lines.

herios

Medalist
Stepanova should have gotten extra points for being Barbie on Ice. I thought their FD was great, I couldn't keep my eyes off her. Those lines.

The judges reserved al their "beauty points" for Elena, was nothing left for Stepanova:laugh:

Last edited:

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Stepanova and Bukin are the next stars in R. ice dance. They both have it and when they get better material they'll challenge the new world champs.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It all depends if zahorski is released from France.

Top 5

B/s, I/z, z/g, s/b, y/m,

No s/k

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I love how Tanith was gushing about her & them :love:
+ I feeel extra sympathy for my S/B b/c they are already hated b/c of their support in certain circles & Besti tasteless comments.:no: It really reflects poorly on these lovely guys. Their team just should concentrate on them & them only, forget about other teams. Skate better & the success will come. The mistake in the SD was painful to watch.
Really wish them good next season.

& Y/M look super promising. But we never know how the junior success translate into the senior

so my picks will be IZ, S/B & Y/M
K/S is a ? mark though I wish them luck to just like all of our other teams

Hope for the best to B/S I'm not sure in what condition he will be after the enjury but just hoping & praying

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Only problem with s/k is that katsalapov tried too hard

Rostislav sinitsin two time soviet ice dance champ

https://translate.googleusercontent...1.html&usg=ALkJrhhNuJzdwvEAcRBBmSJpJMP8x2aMmQ

"Russian figure skaters, objectively speaking, were not in their power in ice dancing, I think we all saw not what we wanted. I am for the children upset and worried sick - said Rubleva on the phone told" F-Sport ". - In general, I believe that all three of our duets lacks stability, and that we are very much to lose. "

Ekaterina rubleva

https://translate.googleusercontent...7.html&usg=ALkJrhgn-RUX_WY2B2n48rjbgLT8DnGqTg

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do hope that either France release Zahorski to Russia or Russia release Guerreiro to France. P&C just got 3 Worlds' spots for France and neither their second or third team is up to snuff at this time.

gmyers

Record Breaker
"ineligible" is a temporal issue. This issue could be readily addressed by achieving the minimal required TES etc. during the fall of 2015, making this assessment moot

They did only try twice last season. So its not like they've tried like 10 times but it looks like they aren't going to try more than twice next season.

madison

Record Breaker
So, next year the Russian national championship will be indeed as Hunger Games: with B/S returned and hopefully healthy, S/B as the only ones who have a medal this year (at Europeans), I/Z very promising, S/K eager to be in the team, after last year failure, Y/M( junior gold world winners), K/M and Z/G. 7 teams for 3 and 2 spots!! Quite a challenge.
Who will make the team for Europeans and Worlds?

uhh

Medalist
B/S will be very interesting - they are the only experienced team, but they've been out for so long, and before his injury they were on a real downwards path, losing the no. 1 status and being slated all over the place. They need to not show any signs of being rusty, and make a good impression quickly, otherwise they risk getting lost amongst everyone else.

gmyers

Record Breaker
So, next year the Russian national championship will be indeed as Hunger Games: with B/S returned and hopefully healthy, S/B as the only ones who have a medal this year (at Europeans), I/Z very promising, S/K eager to be in the team, after last year failure, Y/M( junior gold world winners), K/M and Z/G. 7 teams for 3 and 2 spots!! Quite a challenge.
Who will make the team for Europeans and Worlds?

I think b/s are the number one team. At Russian nationals they will get highest goe and pcs. We'll see if technical panel is all non russian again. If its a russian panel i assume all teams will be level 4 on elements. If its not all russian that's where b/s could suffer If soloviev injury makes high levels difficult. Kustarova is mediocre with levels. Bad for I/z. M/k were strongest at Russian nationals FD. I don't think s/k are prioritizing levels. I think
1. B/S
2. I/Z
3. S/b
4. M/k
5. Y/m

I don't know If zuharski will be released from France

gmyers

Record Breaker
B/S will be very interesting - they are the only experienced team, but they've been out for so long, and before his injury they were on a real downwards path, losing the no. 1 status and being slated all over the place. They need to not show any signs of being rusty, and make a good impression quickly, otherwise they risk getting lost amongst everyone else.

I don't know if b/s ever really lost Russia number one. They were 2014 Russian champs. The had a coach who flaked on them.

uhh

Medalist
I don't know if b/s ever really lost Russia number one. They were 2014 Russian champs. The had a coach who flaked on them.

They only won because of I/K's mistake in the FD, they had their mid season panic pulling out of Euros & switching programs & they got lower international scores all season - the judges were not impressed with the FD at all. The only reason they stayed as no. 1 for so long was because of I/K's inconsistency - judges were ready to dump them after 2012 Worlds, but Morozov gave I/K their worst programs of their career that season, and screwed up the opportunity they had. Unless they show something special straight away next season (and like I said, that will be hard after so long out), I don't think they will be pushed straight to the top ahead of teams like I/Z or S/B who have upwards momentum.

gmyers

Record Breaker
They only won because of I/K's mistake in the FD, they had their mid season panic pulling out of Euros & switching programs & they got lower international scores all season - the judges were not impressed with the FD at all. The only reason they stayed as no. 1 for so long was because of I/K's inconsistency - judges were ready to dump them after 2012 Worlds, but Morozov gave I/K their worst programs of their career that season, and screwed up the opportunity they had. Unless they show something special straight away next season (and like I said, that will be hard after so long out), I don't think they will be pushed straight to the top ahead of teams like I/Z or S/B who have upwards momentum.

So many Russian ice dance people are talking about how its not a good thing that so many teams are so new and young. They want a veteran team as the leader. Zhulin is still b/s coach and he did totally wreck their last season but even if they were only russian champs because of I/k mistake they were still in a position to win and I don't think that will change. I don't think they would return if they weren't getting messages they would not be treated as the best.