State of Russian ice dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

State of Russian ice dance

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
So many Russian ice dance people are talking about how its not a good thing that so many teams are so new and young. They want a veteran team as the leader. Zhulin is still b/s coach and he did totally wreck their last season but even if they were only russian champs because of I/k mistake they were still in a position to win and I don't think that will change. I don't think they would return if they weren't getting messages they would not be treated as the best.

While it's understandable that they want veteran leaders it's not like they are not there. I/Z maybe a new partnership but Elena and Ruslan do have experience in their own rights. I like B/S as skaters but his injury was a serious one. They were shafted program wise in 2014, they have been off the ice for a season while other teams have been breaking ground. I think they can get the second spot in Russia but would have to really wow to do that. The judges seem to really love I/Z and if I/Z come out with some innovation and great programs (I have a feeling they are) the judges will show them love.

gmyers

Record Breaker
While it's understandable that they want veteran leaders it's not like they are not there. I/Z maybe a new partnership but Elena and Ruslan do have experience in their own rights. I like B/S as skaters but his injury was a serious one. They were shafted program wise in 2014, they have been off the ice for a season while other teams have been breaking ground. I think they can get the second spot in Russia but would have to really wow to do that. The judges seem to really love I/Z and if I/Z come out with some innovation and great programs (I have a feeling they are) the judges will show them love.

I don't believe they have to wow just be competent. Even if its thought they were only russian champs because I/k couldn't be trusted with the title they were still russian champs 4 times. Maybe his injury will prevent b/s from getting proper levels but that's a problem rampant in the Russian program. I think its possible I/z could be the new chosen team but even if the so b/s is number two with no problems. S/b or m/k or any others just don't have the scores or reputation of even hobbled b/s.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
It's all going to depend on the programs. Papadakis and Cizeron have set the standard for this quad and judges want to see seamless choreography. The closest any Russian team came was the first part of Stepanova and Bukin's FD. I haven't seen Anna Karenina but I've heard conflicting reports. Some say it is the best FD Bobrova and Soloviev have done, others say that in the in the post Le Parc world, it just won't hold up

madison

Record Breaker
I really liked Zahorsky/ Guerreiro last year and I wished for them to compete internationally in the near future, but I'm worried about this release thing. I'm reading contradictory reports on the way one can get the release for their former Federations. Does anyone know what exactly the rule is in this regard? Is the citizenship enough for getting the release (Z case)?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I have to admit Stepanova & Bukin impressed me this past season. When I look back over all the SD's, theirs is one I remember for the tech. Not flashy presentation. It got better and better. And then, yikes, issues at Worlds.

Mattieu

Medalist
I have to admit Stepanova & Bukin impressed me this past season. When I look back over all the SD's, theirs is one I remember for the tech. Not flashy presentation. It got better and better. And then, yikes, issues at Worlds.

I am not a fan os S/B.
They are slick as they have been together so long, but the never ending leg flinging from Stepanova annoys me.
Yes, we've got the message, she is a bendy doll, but how about improving her skating skills, her flexibility is good enough already?
I also find he only has one facial expression.
It is sad that this is the level of Russia's best couples these days, they are a good couple, but not anywhere near the calibre of Russian couples in bygone years.

Tanka

On the Ice
I really liked Zahorsky/ Guerreiro last year and I wished for them to compete internationally in the near future, but I'm worried about this release thing. I'm reading contradictory reports on the way one can get the release for their former Federations. Does anyone know what exactly the rule is in this regard? Is the citizenship enough for getting the release (Z case)?

The rules: http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/106661/isu-communication-1420.pdf

Here is an interview where they discuss Tiffany's citizenship: http://m.rsport.ru/interview/20150107/798246227.html
In short, the French Fed doesn't want to release Tiffany. The Russian Fed says that they'll discuss the Russian citizenship if Z/G make the Russian team.

Mattieu

Medalist
The rules: http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/106661/isu-communication-1420.pdf

Here is an interview where they discuss Tiffany's citizenship: http://m.rsport.ru/interview/20150107/798246227.html
In short, the French Fed doesn't want to release Tiffany. The Russian Fed says that they'll discuss the Russian citizenship if Z/G make the Russian team.

Which they did by finishing 5th in Nationals, but couldn't be put on the team as Zahorski wasn't released. Catch 22

chameleon

On the Ice
I think they had to finish 4th to be guaranteed a spot, since the team is generally six teams, B/S are back this year, and Y/M get a spot due to being JW champions.

Mattieu

Medalist
I think they had to finish 4th to be guaranteed a spot, since the team is generally six teams, B/S are back this year, and Y/M get a spot due to being JW champions.

Do you seriously think B/S will be back this year?

madison

Record Breaker
Thank you for the link!
As far as I know, Tiffany got the Russian citizenship (at least according to the latest interview of Zhulin).
Hope she will be able to compete internationally next season. Fingers crossed for Z/G.

Tanka

On the Ice
As far as I know, Tiffany got the Russian citizenship (at least according to the latest interview of Zhulin).

Haven't heard of this! Do you have a link?
I'll be glad to see them more often next season.

Last edited:

madison

Record Breaker
Here you are: http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/1070-aleksandr-zhulin-my-znaem-svoi-plyusy-i-minusy.html

I read the English translation of the interview as I am not a Russian speaking.
Tiffany Zahorsky / Jonathan Guerreiro

The problem of Tiffany’s citizenship is being solved. I hope the outcome is positive. This team is very distinctive with the Western style of skating skills and understanding what is required in the technical score today. These skaters do some things uniquely, especially in footwork. That impresses. If they continue working like they’ve been doing since mid last season I believe they will create surprises.

Celine

On the Ice
Do you seriously think B/S will be back this year?

Grand Prix assignments would seem to indicate they plan to be back. Wonder what Senior B they will compete in before the GP series. They haven't competed since Sochi.

gmyers

Record Breaker
B/s are being begged by so many to come back and bring some maturity and experience to Russian ice dance. So many articles linked to before include backhanded compliments towards the "youth"

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I hope B and S come back and don't become yet another great russian team who didn't reach their ice dance potential because of injury. I think of Domina and Shalabin and Krylova and Oksianikov. I don't think Russia is dead in ice dancing but I do think their most promising team is no more I and K - yes they had trouble getting it together but the potential was amazing. Too bad. I am not sure what to think about S and K but there are other teams. Including Stepanova and Bukin (who I believe has great genes - his dad was an olympic champion I read in ice dance) Don't count Russia out yet. the key for them is beating the Italians, the Shibutanis and gilles and Porier.