Satoko Miyahara | Page 141 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Hello! Maybe some of you already know, Satoko finally has an official Instagram account: Satoko55

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Does anyone know who designed Satoko's "Tosca" dress? (And is the designer on Instagram, by chance?)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Copying my own post from Keiji thread:
An interview with Keiji and Satoko is featured in Quadruple Axel 2021 (Mar. 13, 2021) sold by Amazon USA and Amazon Japan (digital download is available). Interview was done online around January after the Nationals and Kokutai (National Sports Festival).

Excerpts from and translations of the article:
(Note: As you may know, in Japan, suffixes, or titles are added to the end of a name. In this interview, "senshu" means athlete, and when attached to a name and used as a title, it means Mr./Ms. like, Miyahara senshu and Tanaka senshu. Also, 'kun" is used with boys' names, e.g., Keiji-kun, usually between friends.)

--You two started to have small talk in junior days when you were often in the same competitions?
K: But Satton was still quiet even after turning junior, and talked less than now. Right?
S: Yeah.
K: But you got your teeth into card games.
S: Ahaha [laughter]
K: I remember Fey (Ryuju Hino) and Satton playing Concentration without saying a word. When I saw them like that, I thought, “These two are crazy concentrated . [laughter].” They were so serious I couldn’t keep up [laughter]. Usually, she didn’t talk much, but she was dead serious when playing a card game.
S: Back then, I was still very shy.
K: I was shy too. I normally didn’t start a conversation. I would say Fey seemed comfortable talking to anyone.
--About skating, both of you place importance on how you bring the program to completion and also on how you showcase it. How do you feel about each other’s performance?
K: Satton’s fluid and expressive movements have been improving every year. I think she is the most expressive skater among Japanese ladies.
S: Thank you for your compliment. What I like the most about Keiji-kun’s skate is his combo jumps and the speed he carries into these jumps. Also, I get drawn into his performance, regardless of whether he dances his way through the music or he skates to the quiet music. I love the way he skates.
--Among each other’s programs, which one is your favorite?
K: That’s the question I knew you would ask me, so I’ve been thinking about it. I would say her last season’s SP. What is the title of the music?
S: I guess it’s “Egyptian Disco.”
K: Right on! When I saw her skate to it, I realized again that she was able to move her body very well and that she showed varied expressions. Such mysterious music is really difficult to interpret and you often end up looking “forced.” But Satton made such difficult movements look effortless and made the program her own. Actually, the program didn’t look weird at all. Of course she is good at skating to soft music, but it’s great that she took complete control of such a difficult program.
S: Last season I wanted to do a completely different type of program, and asked (Benoît) Richaud for suggestions, and picked the one which made me feel like, “You’ve got to be kidding [laughter].”
K: Ahaha [laughter]
S: My favorite program of Keiji-kun is “Hip Hip Chin Chin.” I like the music itself and I enjoy the choreography which is fun to watch. Especially the opening 30 seconds is exciting.
K: When Massimo (ScaliI) suggested it, I, too, thought, “You’ve got to be kidding,” and wanted to reject it [laughter].”
S: I didn’t know that [laughter].
K: Then I thought, “I’d better trust Massimo,” and decided on it. Now I am glad I carried it out.

- to be cont'd -

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 2

--So, both of you broke new ground with the music you first thought preposterous.
K: I want to skate to various genres of music, and I enjoyed reinventing myself. Tackling such a curveball was worth challenging, so I was never bored of doing it throughout the two seasons. He made a great choice. That’s Massimo for you.
S: When I take up a new genre of music, I get to learn a lot of movements that I have never done before, so I think it’s worth trying. At first, it was very difficult for me, but during the year I skated to that music, I learned brand new movements and honed my sense of rhythm. So I’m glad I did it.
--What are the things you feel you improved by skating to that music?
S: I had often skated to soft music and elegant music. By skating to a different type of music, I learned how to add intensity and softness, and how to control my body for quick change of movement..
K: I went through the same process. Powerful music calls for expressions of not only vigor but also subdued softness, so I tried new expressions and things like that, as I became very eager to make the program better and better.
--It seems your hard work paid off at this season’s Nationals. Looking back on the event, what are your thoughts?
S: This season there were no competitions at all, and my first outing was the Nationals, It was so out of the ordinary that I was very nervous. I gained a valuable experience by coming up with a game plan to peak at the Nationals.
--Was the pressure you felt different from usual?
S: For one thing, I competed for the first time in a long time. For another, I was to bring my program before the public for the first time, so I did not know what to expect when it’s time to be evaluated. I've never felt stress like that in a competition before. Then I thought, after all, I had no choice but to give my best shot, and I’m glad it worked and I was able to overcome anxiety.
--Did Tanaka senshu see Miyahara senshu’s performance live?
K: I saw her free. It’s nerve wracking enough to debut your program, but it’s at the Nationals, of all places. It would be way beyond my capacity [laughter]. Considering this, Satton performed with nerves of steel and held herself together. It was amazing that she was able to reset herself after the short and before the free.
S: I placed 6th in the short, as I made such an unbelievable mistake. So I went out there to skate the free thinking, “Forget the short. I have to do what I can do now.” Looking back, I was able to regroup myself.
--Tanaka senshu, what are your thoughts about the Nationals?
K: To me, it was a battle against injury. The level of pain went down a lot, but I felt a little discomfort from time to time. The National came too soon for me when I was still unable to brush off my concern that I was not prepared as well as usual.
--Even in such a situation, Tanaka senshu showed his determination.
K: When I was injured in August, I was hoping that by the Regionals or Sectionals I would be fully recovered, and that in two months I would be back in shape. However, it turned out I was not back in good shape at all, so I quickly reset my mind and aimed to get ready for the Nationals physically and mentally. I think it worked out well. Although I was feeling uneasy because of my injury, I was hell bent on competing at events, and I made it to the Nationals. It was a good experience for me.

- to be cont'd -

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 3

--Did Miyahara senshu see Tanaka senshu skate live?
S: I went to see the men’s free programs. I was to do my free the next day, and I went to see men’s skate to be energized by their performances. I was there for a long time to watch them skate. I saw it on the news that Keiji-kun was injured, and I felt strongly that each one of them was having various elements of concern and still doing his best, and that inspired me.
--Miyahara senshu and Hanyu senshu were in the same situation in that both debuted the short and free programs in the first outing of the season. Do you think somehow he felt the same way as you?
S: Let me see. First off, he performed his new programs at his first competition of the season. Also, during the season, he had been training on his own and competed at the Nationals by himself. And yet his performances were by far the most amazing. I saw his true strength.
K: He trained on his own to get ready for the Nationals, and even though it was his first competition of the season, he delivered such high quality performances. He even stepped up his game rather than maintaining it, and it’s truly great.
S: That's something only he could do.
--Also, at the Nationals, retiring skaters competed on the big stage for the last time. How did you learn Ryuju Hino senshu’s retirement?
K: While I was interviewed by the press after my skate, someone said to me, “Ryuju Hino senshu has just announced his retirement.” As I had just finished competing and was giving a media interview talking about myself, I thought, “Why now [laughter]?” Afterwards, I met him in the changing room and we were like, “Are you retiring?” and “Yep, I am.” Until the competition was over I didn’t know about his retirement at all, so I was not able to see him skate with a sense of finality in that it was his last Nationals. But later we got to skate in the same group at Kokutai and we spent some time skating alongside. Even after he retires, our camaraderie will not change, so honestly, I won’t miss him that much. I hope we will personally keep in touch for many years, and we will stay friends for a long time.
--Miyahara senshu, what are your thoughts?
S: In men’s free, I believe Taichi (Honda) kun skated right before Fey (Ryuju Hino) kun. I used to skate with Taichi at Kyoto rink when we were little, and I went with Fey-kun to JGPS events for years, and I was watching them feeling, “All these skaters are retiring, after many years of skating with me since junior or earlier days.” At the same time, I was reminded again that I am around their age.
--I see you somewhat identified with the skaters in your generation. The last Nationals was also the event where the disciplines competing in pairs attracted people’s attention. Both of you are expressive with attractive aura, and may I suggest that you form an ice dance team in the future?
K: Oh my!
S: Whoa [laughter]!
K: I’m tied up with single skating [laughter].
S: I do things my own way so often that I would cause a lot of trouble to Keiji-kun [laughter].
K: (Looking at the photo of them skating together at 2017 Medalist on Ice) I knew it! It was either the finale or opening act of an ice show, wasn’t it? Body size-wise, we look nice together [laughter].
S: We performed together only for a moment, right?
K: Yeah, Only for a moment, a second, a split second!
--Even in an ice show, I would really love to see Sato-Kei again.
K: Ahaha [laughter]!
S: I want to try pairs or ice dancing, but I’m not good at adjusting to others.
K: Both Satton and I tend to push forward and pursue what we want to do, so we would probably go in different directions. Besides, I may look powerful, but my muscle strength is so pathetic that I cannot even lift Satton who is so lightweight [laughter].
S: Ahaha [laugher]

- to be cont'd to the last part -