Satoko Miyahara | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara

Barb

Record Breaker
I posted this earlier this season after watching Satoko's freeskate at Skate Canada.

It was the end of Satoko's program that captivated me the most because of the way she glided in an arabesque that curved across the rink and transitioned subtly into a serpentine turn and a series of pirouettes with her right hand positioned delicately atop her head, as a ballerina in a music box that mirrored perfectly the gentle tinkling on the piano keys. Then, she exited this position with finely drawn out extensions of her arms and legs, and balletic turns before dashing to her final triple flip. Next, she began with a counterclockwise camel before dropping into a broken leg sit spin. Then, she immediately switched the direction of her rotation to clockwise before dropping into a shoot the duck sit spin, and rising to conclude with a rapidly rotating I spin.

Even though it would be nice if she could jump higher, I am impressed with Satoko's skating the way it is. That last spiral and spin sequence with the triple flip in between was mesmerizing. Hence, she received the only real standing ovation in the competition.

Exactly :love:

Gigi13

On the Ice
I'm obsessed with her right now ohmygod I've been watching her since juniors but I never became a huge fan until I saw her fs at Skate Canada :love: I'm wishing her the best at Japan Nats like ugh I love her so much!

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Translation by rosewood from FSUniverse of interview with Satoko after her NHK skates:

Satoko Miyahara: I wish I'll skate with more power.

I really wished to win a spot for GPF. That said I just focused on skating when the program started.

- What is the merit of skating faster?

It makes my program more impressive. Also it makes me jump better. So I think skating with good speed is important. I was not fast enough into 3-3s both in SP and LP, and I underrotated them.

-You were not fast enough because of pressures?

Since I wished to nail 3-3s, I got nervous. The nerves caused the mistakes.

-Did you work on improving your jumps during the off season?

During this past off season I mainly worked on jumps. Besides, I worked on skating skills. I used to work on solid edge works. This season I introduced training for getting more speed by one stroke. I'm not saying I'm slow, but it's something like I'm pushing the ice slowly. I wish I'll skate with more power.

-Do you pay attention to be expressive?

I wish a natural smile will be on my face during the footworks in the end of my short program. Especially it's to a cheerful music. I was told to smile while choreographing as well.

-Your coach said you are shy. What do you think about your personality? Do you want to come out of the shell?

Ummmm, I admit I'm shy.(lol) I wish I'll come to rock it at any time in front of the crowd in the competitions. I practice smiling in front of the mirrors. (lol)

-Are there any international skaters you think great?

I think Elena Radionova from Russia is great. I've competed with her since we were juniors. She executes programs with very few mistakes and her jumps are solid. International skaters are good at skating big and selling the programs. That's what I think great about international skaters with whom I've competed.

-What's the difference between you and the four Russian ladies who won spots for GPF?

The biggest point is underrotations. I sometimes underrotate in competitions even though I rotated fully in training. That is the thing which makes me keep behind them.

-What have you done to improve the underrotations?

Adding to the training that I've been doing since last season, I'm paying attention to jump up high enough and to land after finishing the rotations.

-What is your take abut the fact that no Japanese ladies appear in GPF?

If I delivered my best skate in LP receiving PB at this competition, I could win a spot for GPF. I'm frustrated when I think about it. That said, I learned various things I have to work on in this competition. It was a good lesson. I'm pretty much motivated to work harder.

-You are in the place where the national title is within your reach.

I'll do my best to get on the podium. I want to win the spots for Worlds and 4CC.

-And where on the podium?

Ummmm (lol) My goal is to deliver my best skate. I don't think about the results so much.

(http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...g-news-after-sochi.91545/page-12#post-4399315)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
ahh i love her, and her personality, yes she is shy but i am sure team japan will help her with their dorkiness :laugh:
glad to see her motivated and learning lesson from bad situation :cheer2:
thanks for sharing :yay:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
congratulations on your well deserved win today miss champion ! :cheer: hopefully many more wins to come, just love her skating and her personality, her humbleness, and i wish she will be more extrovert in the future after being in senior dorks :laugh: :cheer:

luvsasha

Final Flight
Congrats to Satoko! I just love her beautiful skating :biggrin: For being so young, she has a lovely style and her LP is fantastic.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
So happy to see Satoko in the lead. I hope she keeps her Nats format for her LP. If she delivers, and I have faith that she will, I really won't be surprised if she wins gold.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Congratulations Satoko for your World small bronze medal! :clap: No underrotations on her protocol, that's great. Praying for her to deliver in the FS because she has the best program of all ladies this season! :yay:

Morena

On the Ice
I love her, but don' t believe Satoko can get even a bronze medal. I wish her skate clean.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
congratulations to satoko for her PB and for her birthday! it started with great gift and hopefully rest of the year will be better for her!! :cheer::hb:
i didnt check ladies SP thread yet,wanted to come here 1st, not sure whats waiting there :laugh: