Wenjing Sui & Cong Han | Page 81 | Golden Skate

Wenjing Sui & Cong Han

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
This win feels so rewarding as a fan :dance3: Similarly to 2017, they bounced back in such a short amount of time. Glad to see them get the scores they deserve, I loved seeing all the +5 GOE and 10.00 PCS scores on their scoresheet :D

if we feel rewarded can you imagine how they must be feeling?? everyone was crying at K&C, i loved how coach with the glasses (sorry i dont know his name :slink:) run to them to hug them even before Hongbo and Lori, and you can see he was crying too, who can blame them, this was masterful performance of a masterful program :love: and to think this isnt their peak, they lost levels (again!) and no quad twist yet, makes me more excited, of course healt comes 1st :dbana: i hope they will keep their LP (bless Jackie for asking her if she still doesnt like the music and if they will keep it, cause admit it, thats the question we all want to ask :biggrin:)
and i know its still early but i soooo want them to skate something dark and sinister, just thinking about it gives me shivers :luv17:

edit: an unrelated topic, i hope just like 2017 Yuzuru will repeat his performances and get another gold medal here :love:

dppai

Rinkside
Congratulations!!!
I can still feel the heartbeats when I watched their skating in the FS. They are so great, applause came out after every single element they performed. Sui said she felt a little nervous at the beginning, I believe so did all of us. But after that 3S, every piece of nervousness turns into proud and excitement. The whole program is so brilliant, I can't wait to find out what those commentators said about them.

icybear

Medalist
Two-time World Champion! Probably the best pairs fs program ever, totally record breaking worthy. So happy for the Empress and her knight.:yahoo:

s_parks

Record Breaker
So thrilled for them. They made worlds for me. I know I'll be rewatching their programs for a while.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Their out-of-this-world Free performance today at Saitama worlds IS FOR AGES! :luv17::luv17::luv17:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
This win feels so rewarding as a fan :dance3: Similarly to 2017, they bounced back in such a short amount of time. Glad to see them get the scores they deserve, I loved seeing all the +5 GOE and 10.00 PCS scores on their scoresheet :D

Agree it feels so rewarding, I mean, the season from Pairs fan point of view was kind of shite. I must say all podium finishers have exceeded my expectations, but no one as much as Sui/Han :love: I had no hope after it was revealed she had yet another injury, but to comeback like this? It's just feels so, do good... My faves rarely win and I'm on endorphins for 13 hours now. I wonder if they realize how much their fans needed this win as well.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Congratulations to their second World title. Sui and Han are fighters coming from struggles caused by injuries that prevented them from competing and have proved they are in a class of their own league. I was pissed off that their SP score wasn't over 80 while they brilliantly delivered just because they skated in an earlier group. Their FS was fabulous that gave me goosebumps.

gossipcow

Rinkside
I'm trying to hide from Worlds results cause I'm too nervous, but managed to catch wind that Sui / Han won. Out of all my favorites for this Worlds, I expected the least out of them due to Sui's injury and time away, but holy poop. They were so good, I surprisingly even got a little misty-eyed after they landed their SBS 3S through the end of the program.

I've watched their FS several times now, love how it builds in intensity. Curious if they will keep it or not for next year, but I do hope they replace the SP, I'm still lukewarm on it. Either way, so happy for them T_T. Regardless of the outcome of the other disciplines, this is enough to warm my heart this Worlds. Hopefully next season will be smoother for them.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I wouldn't mind them keeping the FS at all but based on the past, I don't think they will, considering they just won worlds with it and it was skated clean.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I finally got to watch the NBCSN version with Tara, Johnny, and Terry. My biggest shock: Wenjing and Cong did the impossible and made Johnny and Tara shut up!! :eeking::laugh2:

They barely said a word through the entire performance other than at the start. It was Terry who actually committed the cardinal sin of talking in the middle of the choreo sequence but he must have gotten the picture when the other two didn't respond. :dev2:

In case I didn't emphasize that enough let me say it again: Wenjing and Cong were so amazing that they deemed Johnny and Tara speechless. High praise indeed. :bow:

Johnny at the end: "One of the most exquisite performances I have ever seen in this sport." He went on an on.

dppai

Rinkside
It's a regret that we can't see them skate this FS if they don't decide to keep it. But I believe it's another change that they can bring us more and more new programs, with more different styles and attempts. According to their abilities, we can expect more. :hap93:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Finally arrived there to pour some thoughts on that FS I can't stop re-watching.

I was shaking the whole performance when watching it on the stream, never expected to react with such weird, indescribable emotion over a skate - to this very moment I have problem to name my feelings, I cam only say there are LOTS of them and they are all valid. I think this is exactly what Wenjing & Cong brought into Pairs, what is their biggest strenght - they made emotions an integral part of their performance, pouring them into it and allowing people to take them in whichever way/form they want. And they do not put a limitation on that, EVERY emotion is valid there, because it is a reflection of care, passion, courage, curiosity, hunger to experience performance in more way than just through eyes watching it.

The opening sequence resemble for me beating heart - a thing that really fuels life inside, starts everything and they truly started something special by making that move. It is a rarity to build a pair program - successful one, winning one - on very little nuances and sheer intricacy of expression, connection, making impact so profound outside of crucial thing being elements, but Wenjing & Cong prove once again that they are making their own limitations and pushing pairs aesthetic/convention in their own rhythm. They managed to incorporate technical layer, so important in pairs, into much bigger & significant concept of telling a story in relatable way, with passion and vibrance, tension and rawness people understand based on their own experiences; I think this is one of the reasons why this program & performance made so much impression on so many people out there. Folks are getting back to it to watch such excellence in motion again, but I feel also to get convinced that struggle and difficulty can be enriching, leading into beauty.

Another thing they made superb in that program is operating of silence and sound, balance of it. They showed that silent moment could be a time to focus & cumulate energy (moment before 3Fthrow) or a moment that calms, even hypnotizes people (death spiral). To give a dimension, a variety of meaning for silence is such a powerful statement of their capability and strenght. With sound, program construction masterfully reflects the ascend of music, accelleration in speed, dramatism and that emotional chase - the whole sequence of lifts after 3S builds the climax automatically, keeping people on the edge of their seats (Cong is an ultimate hero for speeding like machine with these last 2 lifts, getting Wenjing up on full speed and effortlessly making the magic).

Another thing is how every season they keep on re-inventing themselves, growing up, maturing into more conscious, skilled performers and better skaters - for me, this FS adds that raw vibrance, passion into that pair image, adds constant motion and balance between skating and performing, so important when using something contemporary. While with other pairs I have this feel of static experience, absorbing the visual beauty/prettiness/skill, Wenjing & Cong make the experience alive, escaping decorum, running free, wanting to fly - and that choreo sequence with arms really reminded me of birds trying to get free.

Bcash

Final Flight
I just realized that they returned to their old spin. Maybe the new spin becomes harder to do with both their injuries? Anyway I'll be glad if they keep it for another season but equally ready for new creations from them and Nichol.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I just realized that they returned to their old spin. Maybe the new spin becomes harder to do with both their injuries? Anyway I'll be glad if they keep it for another season but equally ready for new creations from them and Nichol.

It seemed like a strategic move to get the levels, but as we know Wenjing and Cong are the masters of the downgraded spin so it didn't work. It's part of their charm :biggrin:

I so love their ambition in making everything special but can they get a reliable level 4 spin?? Sometimes I want to tell them that they don't need to be the overachieving students. Some of these teams are doing basic spins and achieving their levels.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Whole post

Beatrice, you get closer than most of us to actually describing the web of emotions we feel when we watch magnificent skating. Never mind that some of us live in countries with English as a first language and cannot manage to translate our emotions into words this well. Thank you :bow:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
touching words from Tatiana Tarasova :luv17::cry:

“They won, you see? The great skating. Everything is so unusual, everything… they are rare. There’s never been anyone like them yet. They’ve been skating for so long. And they skate like one person. I’m so happy for them too.“

“Their skating is breathtaking. Therefore the competitions is reaching an incredible level. You know, when geniuses skate. They are real geniuses at what they do. They’ve come very long way from Junior Championship in Minsk to that kind of skating when they feel and create the art on ice. I feel every sound of the music. And people can’t calm down. They’re sitting and starting to applaud because this is fate. There is something to speak, there is something to write. They’ve faced with such tragedies in their lives.”

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Beatrice, you get closer than most of us to actually describing the web of emotions we feel when we watch magnificent skating. Never mind that some of us live in countries with English as a first language and cannot manage to translate our emotions into words this well. Thank you :bow:

Eh... Really don’t know what to even say. Thank YOU GGFan for one of the nicest praise I ever got, being inspired by athletes and artists in them, like Sui/Han is my fuel to write these posts and as I often hesitate about my English, if those things are too weird to say out loud, such words keep me convinced it is worth it:ghug: