Wenjing Sui & Cong Han | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Wenjing Sui & Cong Han

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
love love the slow-mo of that Lp, every jump, every frame is so perfect, down to figure tips, every one can be GIFed or screensnap. Sui's arms, shoulders and costume reminds me of Yuna's Lark... :love::eek::
Sui is an incredible performer. Since she was a 16-year-old attacking the flamenco, she had that "it" factor. I'll never understand the criticism about her not being "naturally artistic." Artistry isn't just long limbs and soft music.

Regardless of the scores, I'm proud of her. The bad practices didn't affect her at all. She went out there like a champion, laying it down when it counts.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Sui is fantastic, but I am equally so impressed with han. The fact that he can lift and throw so well despite the small height difference is amazing, such great technique. He could teach some of the other male pair skaters how it's done.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Sui is fantastic, but I am equally so impressed with han. The fact that he can lift and throw so well despite the small height difference is amazing, such great technique. He could teach some of the other male pair skaters how it's done.
They're incredible, aren't they? :) I don't think I've seen such a naturally talented pair in a long time. If Pang/Tong and Shen/Zhao prove that age ain't nothing but a number, Sui/Han do the same for height. :laugh:

BounceAround

On the Ice

Amen! Also, I've seen quite a few people criticizing their artistry, but I think both of their programs are great.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Why doesn't Bin Yao like them?
Well Zhang was his pupil from the beginning, like yyyskate said. S/h, y/j, and w/w were from Luan bo. for this season, p/z were the only pair that got Lori Nichols choreography while s/h and the rest got David wilson (he's no less prestigious of a choreographer imo, but apparently Nichols charges more so there's that). did you see him in the k&c at the gpf after s/h's free, when they won the bronze? He looked pissed.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Gezzz that is not right. They're the most promising young pairs with absolute technique in the world. Why should he hate them. Not to mention Zang is not getiing younger...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think we should assume Bin Yao hates S/H just because of one K&C expression (honestly, I don't even remember what it was).

I'm still pissed about what happened to their combo spin, but unless there's proof of Bin Yao bribing the technical controller to sabotage one of his own pairs, I see no reason to call conspiracy.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I don't think we should assume Bin Yao hates S/H just because of one K&C expression (honestly, I don't even remember what it was).

I'm still pissed about what happened to their combo spin, but unless there's proof of Bin Yao bribing the technical controller to sabotage one of his own pairs, I see no reason to call conspiracy.

I never said he did. I simply said he would really like the standings.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Nah, I'm sure he would've liked all three of them on the podium. :)

Honestly, even if he does personally like one pair more than the other... I don't see it as a problem, as long as he still does his best to help all his teams.

micnow

Rinkside
Even if the combination spin wouldn't be invalidated (I assume a loss about 4-5 points), the advantage of S/H over P/T, who have no clean SBS jump in the whole competition (SP and LP) would be only about 3 points. Consider S/H have the more difficult throws (and perfect execution as well), the more difficult SBS jumps (they performed the most beautiful 3-2-2 combination of them I've ever seen) and a beautiful quad Twist. I can not believe it and I am really shocked.

I mean, S/H can not skate better like her at 4CC right now (ok, the UR salchow mistake, but the other elements were so beautiful, that it is not very likely to perferm it so often so clean - especially the 3-2-2 combination). P/T can not skate technically worse like here at 4CC.
So, how should S/H beat P/T?

If S/H would have performed their SBS Salchow in good quality (or at least not URed), I think the technical controller would have invalidated an other element of them to ensure not be able to beat P/T.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Nah, I'm sure he would've liked all three of them on the podium. :)

Honestly, even if he does personally like one pair more than the other... I don't see it as a problem, as long as he still does his best to help all his teams.

Well, I'll just keep my thoughts on bin yao and s/h to myself now.... but in general, zhao hongbo is very fair and a great coach to all of them so that's good. I may have been reading the fsu thread on chinese skaters too much...
edit: sorry to keep ragging on this issue, but this is kind of what i meant...
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...pdates-and-reports.85187/page-18#post-4266562

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, I'll just keep my thoughts on bin yao and s/h to myself now.... but in general, zhao hongbo is very fair and a great coach to all of them so that's good. I may have been reading the fsu thread on chinese skaters too much...
edit: sorry to keep ragging on this issue, but this is kind of what i meant...
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...pdates-and-reports.85187/page-18#post-4266562
I would agree that the system in China is problematic (I've never been a fan of that). That there's no separation between "coach" and "national team." I just don't feel there's enough evidence/information to say that Bin Yao is responsible for their PCS, or that he wishes them badly, ect. EDIT: Not saying you're saying this, necessarily. Just that could sound that way to someone else, and I can see this being blown out of proportion like a telephone game.

Came across an amazing picture of S/H by @Meiln9255 on twitter from their free. Just stunning.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B97JYOMCMAEyvCA.jpg
:shocked: He's nearly throwing her his own height!

Btw, (trying to move onto something happier/more concrete than Bin Yao business) do they ever appear in photoshoots/magazines in China? I don't know how popular figure skating is there. But they're young, fresh, good-looking but seem approachable. They could draw a different kind of interest than S/Z or P/T.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
I would agree that the system in China is problematic (I've never been a fan of that). That there's no separation between "coach" and "national team." I just don't feel there's enough evidence/information to say that Bin Yao is responsible for their PCS, or that he wishes them badly, ect. EDIT: Not saying you're saying this, necessarily. Just that could sound that way to someone else, and I can see this being blown out of proportion like a telephone game.

:shocked: He's nearly throwing her his own height!

Btw, (trying to move onto something happier/more concrete than Bin Yao business) do they ever appear in photoshoots/magazines in China? I don't know how popular figure skating is there. But they're young, fresh, good-looking but seem approachable. They could draw a different kind of interest than S/Z or P/T.

Yeah, I don't mean for this to be a :drama: situation(and it's not).
The pictures really highlight how huge and impressive their elements are. Her skates were up to his chest level on this one picture of their throw!
I'm not sure how popular figure skating is there, but they've had signficant success with olympic champions and OSMs, so they wouldn't turn a blind eye to it either I guess. S/H seem to be a crowd favorite at competitions, though their skating may be polarizing because it's so different from the typical Chinese pair look. I think if they win in a big way-world and olympic titles- they could be very appealing/marketable.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, personally I don't know if Yao Bin is mean towards S/H. But in Asian's view, the older the better since they have experience. So maybe Yao Bin or Chinese Fed favors P/Z and P/T because they think these pairs have more chances whem it comes to PCS and experience. S/H is just 17/19 so maybe they think they will have to wait for the time. Still most Chinese pairs skate until they're 35 so S/H will have a long long career with pile of medals. They just have to wait for their turn, maybe that's was the way Chinese Fed think. Just my hunch.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, personally I don't know if Yao Bin is mean towards S/H. But in Asian's view, the older the better since they have experience. So maybe Yao Bin or Chinese Fed favors P/Z and P/T because they think these pairs have more chances whem it comes to PCS and experience. S/H is just 17/19 so maybe they think they will have to wait for the time. Still most Chinese pairs skate until they're 35 so S/H will have a long long career with pile of medals. They just have to wait for their turn, maybe that's was the way Chinese Fed think. Just my hunch.

I didn't mean for this to blow up- and certainly, I didn't mean that bin yao was "mean"- I didn't and wouldn't go th at far. I don't think it's an Asian age heirarchy thing- it's jus that s/h aren't his original pupils, and their former coach was not on good terms with bin yao, so he's just more distant towards them, not "mean". Just fyi, S/H are 19 and 22 :)
And yes, they are very young for pairs, young enough to be skating even at the '26 olympics. I guess this is what it means to "wait your turn."