Wenjing Sui & Cong Han | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Wenjing Sui & Cong Han

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think they need to "wait their turn." They were one stupid invalidated spin away from silver at 4CC. Nobody in their right mind would say they weren't competitive with P/T or P/Z. I just conclude that sometimes COP is really, really stupid, and giving too much power to a small group of people (the tech panel) can be harmful.

P/T do have a PCS advantage over S/H, but what can we expect? They're near-legends at this point. On the other hand, S/H vs. P/Z (PCS-wise) seems to depend on panel, skate order, and momentum. For instance, last year at Worlds, S/H beat P/Z in the SP. I suspect that has to do with P/Z's less-than-stellar FS at the Olympics, which dropped their stock, while S/H's incredible 4CC performances (and scores) raised theirs.

I don't know if there's going to be a solid #1 for the next little while. S/H beat P/Z at GPF, but P/Z won the free. P/Z beat S/H at 4CC, but that was only because of an invalidated spin. Both pairs will push each other; hopefully S/H will become more consistent, while P/Z become more consistently good instead of just consistently okay. Pairs equivalent of Slutskaya and Cohen, respectively? :laugh:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I don't think they need to "wait their turn." They were one stupid invalidated spin away from silver at 4CC. Nobody in their right mind would say they weren't competitive with P/T or P/Z. I just conclude that sometimes COP is really, really stupid, and giving too much power to a small group of people (the tech panel) can be harmful.

P/T do have a PCS advantage over S/H, but what can we expect? They're near-legends at this point. On the other hand, S/H vs. P/Z (PCS-wise) seems to depend on panel, skate order, and momentum. For instance, last year at Worlds, S/H beat P/Z in the SP. I suspect that has to do with P/Z's less-than-stellar FS at the Olympics, which dropped their stock, while S/H's incredible 4CC performances (and scores) raised theirs.

I don't know if there's going to be a solid #1 for the next little while. S/H beat P/Z at GPF, but P/Z won the free. P/Z beat S/H at 4CC, but that was only because of an invalidated spin. Both pairs will push each other; hopefully S/H will become more consistent, while P/Z become more consistently good instead of just consistently okay. Pairs equivalent of Slutskaya and Cohen, respectively? :laugh:

i love S/H more, and i love Cohen more , pleeaaaaseee find another example :laugh2:

s_parks

Record Breaker
I don't think there will be a solid #1 this quad- neither beats the other in a consistent basis. I'm not a fan of p/z, but I wish peng would land her jumps. If she doesn't get them consistent soon, there won't be many opportunities to get the big wins. Zhang is not getting any younger. It's frustrating to see her falter on them when she does it so well in practice. Sui does harder jumps, and she's starting to get them down better, nailing the 3-2-2 at 4cc(She made a mistake on the salchow, but she's landed that at both the teb and gpf).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
i love S/H more, and i love Cohen more , pleeaaaaseee find another example :laugh2:
I meant consistency-wise. Not skating style (though P/Z are probably more Cohen-esque in terms of programs as well, but holy crap we're getting off topic! :laugh:). Slutskaya could throw it down or bomb depending on the night. With Cohen, she rarely had a total meltdown, but she never skated the way Slutskaya did at 2005 Worlds either.

I see similarities in that P/Z will miss two of three SBS jumps, but they rarely make other errors. S/H sometimes are brilliant and near-perfect (TEB, 4CC if we say screw the tech panel), and sometimes kinda disappointing (GP last season).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I want to see them deliver two medal-worthy performances. Whether they actually get a medal or not is secondary to that. (Or so I tell myself...)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I want to see them deliver two medal-worthy performances. Whether they actually get a medal or not is secondary to that. (Or so I tell myself...)

i am with you there 100%, their SP is my fave this year and wanna see them medal finally with 2 clean skates!! i wonder if they will do quad sal throw, did anyone see their planned elements??

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
what a great performance from them , i am just so happy i cant even tell! as simon and chris said i think they are future of China (i know china has so many good pairs but they have everything in my opinion), good luck on free tomorrow, i hope they can deliver another clean skate and win world medal :cheer:

s_parks

Record Breaker
So happy for them! Hope they nail their free(I actually love this one better than the short) even better and stay on the podium!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched S/H's sp using hola Canada:biggrin: I have to say, Miss Sui is a fine young lady.:eek:::love:
love the improvisation of ending pose again. did they achieved the planned ending pose once this season?
when they got off ice,
Cong said, too fast. also coach said too fast
and Wenjing said, I am so so nervous, my hands feel numb.

also, noticeable improvement is details of dance movement, get the feel better and better every time. I really wish Zijun can learn something from them.

that throw is wild, but surprisingly majestic, lOVE IT, in the slow-mo, I love wenjing's hand coming into the throw jump and her absolute totally control and confidence in the landing.

Love the supporting home crowd.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
They were great today, such a lively and fun performance! And I really like their look together.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
love the improvisation of ending pose again. did they achieved the planned ending pose once this season?
that throw is wild, but surprisingly majestic, lOVE IT, in the slow-mo, I love wenjing's hand coming into the throw jump and her absolute totally control and confidence in the landing.
I think they achieved the right ending pose at TEB and GPF?

That throw was everything. I'm glad the judges mainly went with them on GOE.

Btw (and I can actually say this now without jinxing, since it's the last competition unless you count WTT), am I remembering this right, or have the two of them basically made no major errors on their SP all year? A few problems on the SBS spins, one slight hand down at GPF, but no falls/pops.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I think they achieved the right ending pose at TEB and GPF?

That throw was everything. I'm glad the judges mainly went with them on GOE.

Btw (and I can actually say this now without jinxing, since it's the last competition unless you count WTT), am I remembering this right, or have the two of them basically made no major errors on their SP all year? A few problems on the SBS spins, one slight hand down at GPF, but no falls/pops.

Yep, they're pretty good at putting out solid sps, actually. Pretty good at both gps last year(disaster in nhk in fs), nailed it at 4cc and worlds. Fingers crossed for the free today!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Oh. My. Goodness. I'm so beyond happy for them. Got so emotional when I saw Sui cry, it's been a challenge for them these few years, 4th worlds at 19 and 22 in pairs... same age as some of the teams making their senior debut(and younger than T/M:shocked:)! getting ill in 12-13 and missing olympics must have been hard. They will be the leaders of the younger generation of pairs. :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
cant begin to tell how happy i am for them!! when she cried i almost cried too, at least they were happy tears, she was still emotional during medal ceremony :cry: they got reasonable PCS too (and higher than P/Z)!! i think with this medal their PCS will be higher hopefully :love:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watch a low quality video of LP.:cry::cry:
Can wait for the HD video of LP.
unfortunately ,that throw hit a groove on ice. it was huge.
their throw jump is huge.
i think they could incorporate more ice dance moves in their programs in the future(just think about it,:eek::). their height is matched. seems like a real couple not 1 and a half.

Last edited: