Wenjing Sui & Cong Han | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Wenjing Sui & Cong Han

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
well that is extremely impressive and a little insane that Wenjing skates with broken ligaments in her foot -_-

s_parks

Record Breaker
well that is extremely impressive and a little insane that Wenjing skates with broken ligaments in her foot -_-
I find this interesting... while it doesn't sound good, she doesn't look pained at all during or after their skate. I wonder how much it affects her...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kind of fell in love with this pair while I was editing thru WC footage. They were a huge reason my pairs wrap up video turned out so well and the final moments when she is in tears is so emotional. Good luck to them in the future :cheer2:

Her free leg is used so well and she lands very strong on the throws on an edge that is blazing fast. Even the little bobble on she has on the first throw looks good. Sometimes holding on and making it happen no matter what is worth a few points in my book. Determination is good to see too :yes:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Having read the interviews, I like these two even more than I already do. It's interesting to see how much their real life dynamic is pretty similar to what I imagined (close friends, with Sui as the fearless and "in charge" one, while Han is more introverted and thoughtful).

I'm worried to hear about her ligaments. Considering their string of near-perfect SPs and their multiple strong LPs, it doesn't seem to be affecting her yet. But every skater who tried to skate for long periods with an injury eventually had it come back to bite them. I just hope it doesn't haunt them during Olympic year. They're still so young and I'd love to see them continue skating for the next 10-15 years just like Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong did. :love: (Btw, S/Z had their first World medal at 21 and 26, and P/T when they were both 25. So despite S/H taking longer for their first World medal than we wanted/expected considering their junior success, it's pretty incredible they medalled at 19 and 22.)

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Having read the interviews, I like these two even more than I already do. It's interesting to see how much their real life dynamic is pretty similar to what I imagined (close friends, with Sui as the fearless and "in charge" one, while Han is more introverted and thoughtful).

I'm worried to hear about her ligaments. Considering their string of near-perfect SPs and their multiple strong LPs, it doesn't seem to be affecting her yet. But every skater who tried to skate for long periods with an injury eventually had it come back to bite them. I just hope it doesn't haunt them during Olympic year. They're still so young and I'd love to see them continue skating for the next 10-15 years just like Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong did. :love: (Btw, S/Z had their first World medal at 21 and 26, and P/T when they were both 25. So despite S/H taking longer for their first World medal than we wanted/expected considering their junior success, it's pretty incredible they medalled at 19 and 22.)

Yeah I'm not a doctor in any way, but skating with two broken ligaments makes me nervous for them ven though it hasn't been an issue yet. I know in the article they were worried about having an operation performed because the rehabilitation period could keep her out of practice, but I'm wondering if waiting to do surgery after their entire skating careers are over (which could be in another 10 years knowing about Chinese pair longevity :D) would be better or worse...

s_parks

Record Breaker
I was curious about her torn ligaments, so after doing some google search(best I could do, as I'm not a doctor :p), and there seems to be 3 levels of foot sprains:
Grade I — The injury is fairly mild, causing microscopic tears or stretching of the ligaments.
Grade II (moderate) — The ligaments may be partially torn, and the stretching is more severe.
Grade III (severe) — The ligaments are completely torn, so the foot may be unstable and no longer able to bear weight.
Wonder which one Sui has... she can't be competing with a grade III... :think:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah I'm not a doctor in any way, but skating with two broken ligaments makes me nervous for them ven though it hasn't been an issue yet. I know in the article they were worried about having an operation performed because the rehabilitation period could keep her out of practice, but I'm wondering if waiting to do surgery after their entire skating careers are over (which could be in another 10 years knowing about Chinese pair longevity :D) would be better or worse...
It's still early in the Olympic cycle. If there's a time to act, now isn't such a bad idea, imo. (Unless post-operation, she won't be skating as well as she does now...? There have been cases of this, like Elvis Stojko losing his quad consistency post-1998. But that seems to be the fallout from the groin injury itself, not any associated operation. Plus, he was getting older and past his peak, so his decline could've had nothing to do with the injury to begin with. Anyway, I digress).

Delaying treatment isn't that uncommon... I mean, how long has Jian Tong delayed his knee surgery now? :drama: I just don't want a Michelle Kwan situation, where she pushed through four years on a damaged hip and ultimately didn't make it to Torino anyway. She still won her fifth World title and delivered some great performances, so it's not like competing was totally pointless. I just wonder, could she have made it to Torino after all if she'd just fixed the hip circa. 2003...?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi Sui/Han fans! I have updated the original post of this thread to include videos, articles and other things to enjoy in the off-season! Let me know if there's anything I should add. :)

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hi Sui/Han fans! I have updated the original post of this thread to include videos, articles and other things to enjoy in the off-season! Let me know if there's anything I should add. :)

Fabulous! Thank you so much :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hi, just a selfish request, but I'd personally include their 2012 World Championships LP in the first post as well. I know it didn't exactly score well, but it was filled with such fire and drama, and earned a partial standing ovation from the crowd. I actually prefer it over their near-perfect 2012 4CC skate from an emotional standpoint. :yes:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi, just a selfish request, but I'd personally include their 2012 World Championships LP in the first post as well. I know it didn't exactly score well, but it was filled with such fire and drama, and earned a partial standing ovation from the crowd. I actually prefer it over their near-perfect 2012 4CC skate from an emotional standpoint. :yes:

I had meant to include them as it was their Worlds debut but for some reason forgot to put the links in! I have put in links for both the SP and the FS!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wonder about their true height now. It seems to me the height difference is about 15cm?

s_parks

Record Breaker
I wonder about their true height now. It seems to me the height difference is about 15cm?

Yeah, crazy isn't it? Other pairs split over bigger height difference than that, let alone perform quads. What's the height difference with S/Z and P/T? They don't seem to have that much difference either.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah, crazy isn't it? Other pairs split over bigger height difference than that, let alone perform quads. What's the height difference with S/Z and P/T? They don't seem to have that much difference either.
According to Wikipedia (my sources are just wonderful, aren't they? :laugh2:), 17cm for S/Z and 18cm for P/T. It's incredible that Zhao Hongbo--one-half of such an athletic team--is only 1.77m (and Shen Xue wasn't exactly a twig by pairs skating standards).

15cm of difference seems about right for S/H right now. "King" Sui still looks tiny next to her teammates in the WTT K&C, but her listed height of 1.50m is likely outdated. Han Cong is the real anomaly--is there any other male pairs skater from the past 20-something years who's only 1.70m? :think:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
According to Wikipedia (my sources are just wonderful, aren't they? :laugh2:), 17cm for S/Z and 18cm for P/T. It's incredible that Zhao Hongbo--one-half of such an athletic team--is only 1.77m (and Shen Xue wasn't exactly a twig by pairs skating standards).

15cm of difference seems about right for S/H right now. "King" Sui still looks tiny next to her teammates in the WTT K&C, but her listed height of 1.50m is likely outdated. Han Cong is the real anomaly--is there any other male pairs skater from the past 20-something years who's only 1.70m? :think:

According to my sources (same as yours) Mervin Tran is 1.75. Taller but not really tall.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Han Cong is shorter than Yuzuru (saw their photo together). He is truly the anomaly. But how big the throw and the twist are!! 15cm difference is still in the range, though.