State of Japanese Skaters 2014-2015 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

State of Japanese Skaters 2014-2015

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If the results of the Japanese skaters are less-than-ideal in 2015 Worlds, Mao might feel obligated to come back. I would, of course, be delighted, though I hope she comes back out of genuine love for the sport rather than duty.

I suspect the new "e" business is what's keeping her away... What would be a good layout for Mao, if she returns?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
If the results of the Japanese skaters are less-than-ideal in 2015 Worlds, Mao might feel obligated to come back. I would, of course, be delighted, though I hope she comes back out of genuine love for the sport rather than duty.

I suspect the new "e" business is what's keeping her away... What would be a good layout for Mao, if she returns?

Interesting question would be is if she is still planning to add the triple axel into her programs. If yes, she can omit the lutz. If not, then maybe:

3F-3Lo
3S
2A
----
3F
3Lo-2Lo
3S-2T-2Lo
2A-3T

does this make sense? :think::laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't see Mao competing without triple axel. She seems like someone who'd go for that jump no matter what. Even when playing it safe could've given her better results, she never let the axel go. And now that her lutz would get BV reduction and terrible GOE, I think she has to go for the axel. Especially since, with your layout, she'd Zayak since she can't repeat flip, salchow, and loop. And she's only allowed three combinations.

Maybe this:

3A
3F-3Lo
3S
---
2A-3T
3F
3Lo-2T-2Lo
2A

Repeating loop and flip like she does now. Switching the -2Lo-2Lo combination for -2T-2Lo, since with the doubles Zayak rule, 2Lo-2Lo is very risky if she doubles the 3F-3Lo. Switching the lutz for another 2A, which leaves her seven triples.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
In the up-comming Rostelecom Cup, Miyabi Oba will be making her Senior GP debut. Here is a short video clip about her.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29utoo_141111-d-gp初参戦_sport
Summary of video:
Miyabi Oba goes to the same University as Kanako and Mao -she is 19 years old.
She has medaled twice in the JGP series and she is looked on as a future ace in Japan Figure skating.

She says "The Senior Grand Prix Series has always been a dream of mine. So getting to go to one is a great surprise to me."
She is known for her big jumps and combinations. When she was 9, she trained as a gymnast. This helps to have steady, centered, jumps.
She has tried to jump a 3A. She was watching Mao train and it encouraged her to try it. She says when she is having a good day, she can do it well.

Then, during practice, she fell on a jump and hurt her head. For the first time, she was afraid of jumps.
I couldn't jump anything...the fear was keeping my body from moving -she said.
In her first big competition this year, she was able to do her normal jumps again and was able to score a personal best in the SP.
-That I was able to skate this well even though I don't feel good, makes me want to do even better at the Grand Prix and skate a performance I can be satisfied with.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Team Japan Scores for 2014-2015 Season

Men
Best Total Scores
Machida Tatsuki 269.09 Skate America
Mura Takahito 255.81 Skate Canada
Hanyu Yuzuru 237.55 Cup of China
Uno Shoma 227.51 JGP Croatia
Kozuka Takahiko 216.80 Rostelecom Cup
Kozuka Takahiko 203.17 Skate Canada
Tanaka Keiji 189.26 Cup of China

Best Short Program Scores
Machida 93.39 Skate America
Hanyu 82.95 Cup of China
Mura 82.57 Skate Canada
Kozuka 81.38 Rostelecom Cup
Kozuka 75.85 Skate Canada
Shoma 74.82 JGP Croatia
Keiji 56.82 Cup of China

Best Long Program Scores
Machida 175.70 Skate America
Mura 173.24 Skate Canada
Hanyu 154.60 Cup of China
Shoma 152.69 JGP Croatia
Kozuka 135.42 Rostelecom Cup
Keiji 132.44 Cup of China
Kozuka 127.32 Skate Canada

Women
Best Total Scores
Miyahara Satoko 181.75 Skate Canada
Hongo Rika 178.00 Rostelecom Cup
Hongo Rika 171.47 Skate Canada
Murakami Kanako 169.39 Cup of China
Imai Haruka 158.10 Skate America
Oba Miyabi 154.57 Rostelecom Cup

Best Short Program Scores
Kanako 60.44 Cup of China
Satoko 60.22 Skate Canada
Rika 59.32 Rostelecom Cup
Rika 59.10 Skate Canada
Haruka 53.79 Skate America
Oba 46.76 Rostelecom Cup

Best Long Program Scores
Satoko 121.53 Skate Canada
Rika 118.15 Rostelecom Cup
Rika 112.37 Skate Canada
Kanako 108.95 Cup of China
Oba 107.87 Rostelecom Cup
Haruka 104.18 Skate America

Have updated Scores for Team Japan!!
Congrats to Rika!!!

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
Have updated Scores for Team Japan!!
Congrats to Rika!!!

Thank you! I am sooo looking forward to NHK Trophy.

It's funny how Satoko's score could make it gold if she went to Rostelecom instead. But I know I can't compare since different competition=different atmosphere, hence the pressure and everything are different. Also Rostelecom got the weakest competitor imho.. anything could happened.

Hope for the very best that at least 2 Japanese girls could advance to Finals! :)

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Satoko will get her chance at NHK. With her consistency, she I believe she could get gold there.

I'm so sad for Kozuka who looked hopeful after the SP at Rostelecom cup. His LP continues to be one of the best-choreographed programs this year and it suits him to a T. :cry:

Miyabi Oba had a pretty strong free program after her disaster in the short. I'm sure that moving up to 6th place has cheered her up.

It seems that even though the Big Stars of the Ladies and some of the Men in team Japan are out, the new crop of skaters has tons of potential and the ability to get on the podium, so, YAY!

Barb

Record Breaker
Satoko will get her chance at NHK. With her consistency, she I believe she could get gold there.

I'm so sad for Kozuka who looked hopeful after the SP at Rostelecom cup. His LP continues to be one of the best-choreographed programs this year and it suits him to a T. :cry:

Miyabi Oba had a pretty strong free program after her disaster in the short. I'm sure that moving up to 6th place has cheered her up.

It seems that even though the Big Stars of the Ladies and some of the Men in team Japan are out, the new crop of skaters has tons of potential and the ability to get on the podium, so, YAY!

I know, I want to see that program clean at least once.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I'm also a fan of Kozuka's new FS, here's hoping he can do it justice at Nats!

It'll definitely be interesting to watch this new crop of Japanese ladies grow over the next few seasons; lots of potential there! I was impressed with Miyabi Oba's free skate at CoC.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I'm also a fan of Kozuka's new FS, here's hoping he can do it justice at Nats!

It'll definitely be interesting to watch this new crop of Japanese ladies grow over the next few seasons; lots of potential there! I was impressed with Miyabi Oba's free skate at CoC.

I was impressed with Miyabi's FS at COR too and evidently so were B Esp's Simon Reed and Chris Howarth. She was literally a fresh face to me as it appeared she wore nary a scrap of make-up, a rarity in ladies' FS. I think she has a strong spirit as seen in her rebounding from that disastrous SP and from what I've read, returning to train on the ice after recovering from a bad fall that left her with a concussion. As I've posted in the Ladies' FP COR thread, the Japanese women appear to have greater depth this season than was originally thought, and Japanese nationals in the ladies, and not just the men, promises to be exciting.

NMURA

Medalist
JSPORTS new generations skaters
http://www.jsports.co.jp/skate/player/

Interesting parts are

Wakaba Higuchi's "skaters to aim" -- Kim Yuna and Miki Ando
Yuna Aoki "skater to aim" -- Julia Lipnitskaya

I found out that Aoki's birthday is January 10, 2002.
Does this mean she can't enter Youth Olympic Games in 2016?

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
In the case of 2012 YOG, only skaters born in 1996 and 1997 could participate. It's quite strange since only a half of potential competitors are eligible. So Miyahara or Lipnitskaya couldn't compete although they were the best options for respective countries. If the age restrictions are unchanged, Aoki could miss it by ten days. And if they have two spots, Higuchi and Marin Honda will be chosen as a matter of course.