2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08 | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Free Skate 11/08

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't see what harm it does. I do not think that the individual medal winners felt that their achievement was compromised or that their medal meant less because there was also a team event.

No harm at all. That was not the point.
Just an idea that we thought it would be nice, because more athletes could partecipate but I know that having more athletes can be a problem for IOC or ISU.

The problem with points is that the variance in men singles is much higher than in dance. Hence, having Hanyu with 290 will almost nullify another country's efforts to build the equity with a good dance pair. I don't see farcial judging in the team event but that part is just my opinion.

Didn't thought about that. You are right.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No harm at all. That was not the point.
Just an idea that we thought it would be nice, because more athletes could partecipate but I know that having more athletes can be a problem for IOC or ISU.

Didn't thought about that. You are right.

I am not sure what the answer is really. I hear about the variance between events but the teams do have a chance in each individual event in the team competition tomake up oints ie. they use only use and have one mens score for sp and lp so each team has a chance. Interesting if you follow the world format for team championships this would favour teams like Japan who have more top notch singles skaters - you probably would get different podium results. As we have seen over the years the judging and scoring system ie school figures and percentages etc. all affect the placements. Schuba, Hamilton for example would not be gold medallists at the olympics - not even close. But that's life.

peg

Medalist
The problem with points is that the variance in men singles is much higher than in dance. Hence, having Hanyu with 290 will almost nullify another country's efforts to build the equity with a good dance pair. I don't see farcial judging in the team event but that part is just my opinion.

You do make a valid point, but that can be easily accommodated. The points could be weighted. Either decide ahead of time which weight to assign to each discipline based on on past score averages, or count the top score in each discipline as 100 points, and convert all other scores to a percentage of that score. That way point spreads are incorporated, but there isn't an unfair advantage to countries with strong mens skaters vs. other disciplines.