Misha Ge | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Misha Ge

lefeury

Rinkside
Count me in as a fan as well. I love performance focused programs and he is a master at performing. Loved him since last season.

anyanka

Record Breaker
It's not all about point-getting, Misha is a born showman. Maybe his time in Hollywood gave him some pointers. :cool:

That being said, if he can stabilize his programs and land those jumps perfectly every time, it could be a great way to keep building points and get his name out as a consistently reliable performer, and he will be rewarded for his technicality. Then he can add more difficulty into competition once he feels comfortable.

Congratulations Misha!!

Question: when do we find out about 4CC entries? I'd love to see him medal along with the Japanese men.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's great that he wants to move beyond being the entertainer. The sense I got from reading his tweets from last season is that he wanted his career to be more than that he entertained a bunch of folks (though that will always be in his DNA, no doubt). Probably not making the FS at Worlds was a wakeup call.

And wow, that would be great to see a new country on the podium at 4CC. I think it will be tough competition with U.S. and Japan, but if he keeps the scores he got at COR (and improves on them), he definitely has a good shot as anyone. If nothing else, he definitely has a shot at top 5.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think it's great that he wants to move beyond being the entertainer. The sense I got from reading his tweets from last season is that he wanted his career to be more than that he entertained a bunch of folks (though that will always be in his DNA, no doubt). Probably not making the FS at Worlds was a wakeup call.

He got serious about his career. Last season he had orange hair. ORANGE. He looked like one of those giant traffic cones.

From what I heard of Kurt Browning (and Johnny Weir too methinks) in the CBC (and NBC) broadcast is that Misha always goes around asking for advice on how to improve and become a better skater. It means he's thinking critically of how to advance himself and is willing to work hard to get results. So far he's improved a lot this year and he clearly loves the program he's chosen for his FS. It was lovely at COC but at COR he absolutely sold it. The crowd shouting in delight when he started his footwork sequence was genuine, he had them eating out of the palm of his hand. And apparently he found out he was going to COR only 3 days before the event but when he competed he didn't even look like he had just gotten off a plane at all. This guy is ready to WORK it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I wish GS has a better search function that goes back a little longer so I could re-post a link to a video about Misha's grandfather, a famous Chinese artist (also a writer and actor) with a very dramatic life journey fit for a 3 hanky movie. His beloved young Misha was featured, with blond hair and speaking native Chinese, talking about how he skated as a little kid. It was so cute.

His grandfather was half Russian and when he fell in love with the Gobi Desert, he changed his name to Ge (sounding like Keh) Sha, as in Ge Bi Sha Mo. Misha's father married a Russian like his grandfather (Misha's great grand dad) did and Misha was born in Russia and took up Chinese residency and citizenship when he was 9. In Chinese his name is Ge Mi Sha with Mi in the middle of his otherwise identical name as his grandfather's and Misha means bear cub in Russian.

According to Baidu (Chinese Wiki), Misha's father won second place in 1988 Chinese figure skating Nationals and then met his future wife while studying in a Sport academy in Moscow in 1989. Misha's mother was a Russian skater who medaled at the Nationals. The couple are friends with Plusenko whom Misha befriended and has idolized since he was very young.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wish GS has a better search function that goes back a little longer so I could re-post a link to a video about Misha's grandfather, a famous Chinese artist with a very dramatic life journey. His beloved young Misha was featured, with blond hair and speaking native Chinese, talking about how he skated as a little kid. It was so cute.

His grandfather was half Russian and when he fell in love with the Gobi Desert, he changed his name to Ge (sounding like Keh) Sha, as in Ge Bi Sha Mo. Misha's father married a Russian like his grandfather (Misha's great grand dad) did and Misha was born in Russia and took up Chinese residency and citizenship when he was 9. In Chinese his name is Ge Mi Sha with Mi in the middle of his otherwise identical name as his grandfather's and Misha means bear cub in Russian.

According to Baidu (Chinese Wiki), Misha's father won second place in 1988 Chinese figure skating Nationals and then met his future wife while studying in a Sport academy in Moscow in 1989. Misha's mother was a Russian skater who medaled at the Nationals. The couple are friends with Plusenko whom Misha befriended and has idolized since he was very young.

Here you go. :)

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?36189-Men-s-LP&p=618038&viewfull=1#post618038

I found this half hour film featuring Misha Ge's grandfather, an artist born in N E China of Russian mother. Watch Little Misha from 4:30 to 6:30! and at 27:41 till the end. Unlike his Grand Dad, Misha has great family support for his interests and talents. At 17, Grandfather literally ran away from home in the snow trying to get to Beijing to study arts. He made it there on foot. Misha's father appeared at 12:12 talking about being sent to study Arts in Russia, also at 17, by train, where he fell in love with Misha's Mom. He got his mother's blessing but without telling his father, married his Russian girlfriend at the Embassy. Misha's grandfather fell in love with the Gobi Desert and changed his ordinary Chinese name to Ge (Gobi) Sha (sand, shamo=desert). That's why Misha's family name is rather unusual, different from my guess. Quite an interesting life. Very touching about his reunion with his sister and mother after 33 years. At the end of the film, his biggest wish was to cheer on his grandson at 2008 Olympics when he would be 77 years old. (This film must have been made before the change of Winter Olympic years. Misha looked about 10.)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTA1Mzc0MjA=.html

(Power google searching to the rescue!)

Now that we found it, is there a translation available?

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
So as far as I can tell (from Wikipedia, anyway), Misha never has actually lived in Uzbekistan and he's of "Russian, Chinese and Korean descent." How did he come to represent Uzbekistan? :confused: Maybe it's answered on Baidu, but I can't read Chinese (super cute photos of young Misha there, though!).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So as far as I can tell (from Wikipedia, anyway), Misha never has actually lived in Uzbekistan and he's of "Russian, Chinese and Korean descent." How did he come to represent Uzbekistan? :confused: Maybe it's answered on Baidu, but I can't read Chinese (super cute photos of young Misha there, though!).

I am guessing it's probably where his mom was from when it was part of the Soviet Union.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I watched the bits of the video with Misha...oh my, his hair was so long! He was adorable! What an interesting family and life he's led so far...I hope someone will make a documentary about Misha himself sometime.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So as far as I can tell (from Wikipedia, anyway), Misha never has actually lived in Uzbekistan and he's of "Russian, Chinese and Korean descent." How did he come to represent Uzbekistan? :confused: ...

From Ge's comments to IN in 2013 (emphasis added):

... I was born in Moscow, then traveled between Russia and China until I was 10. After that, I moved to China and lived there about eight years, including such places as Hong Kong and Taiwan. After that, I lived in Uzbekistan for a while and then moved to the United States, where I've lived for the last three years. ...

Icenetwork.com: What is your connection with Uzbekistan, and why did you choose to compete for this country?

Ge: My mother has relatives from Uzbekistan, and my family has friendly relations with the Uzbekistan federation and its coaches for nearly 20 years. Uzbekistan had very good, professional skaters and a good skating tradition. There were quite a few countries which wanted me to represent them at that time, but my parents helped me to decide that what was best way for me was to represent Uzbekistan. I'm very appreciative and thankful for everything my parents and federation have done for me.

Icenetwork.com: In the 2008-09 season, you competed at Chinese nationals, where you took sixth place. Wouldn't it be more promising and prestigious to continue your skating there and compete for China internationally?

Ge: Yes, at that time, I skated for China and showed good results. When I competed at senior nationals and got sixth place, I beat all the skaters who are that country's best at the present time. But the decision was made by my father, who is also my main coach. He decided that I should represent Uzbekistan. He wanted that I have a long skating life, not just a short period of big results. And I'm happy and appreciate everything I have today...

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130301&content_id=42134174&vkey=ice_news

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wow love this documentary... how many skaters can claim they were highlighted as a figure skater on Chinese National TV since age 5! His Chinese is surprising good, now I know why! I didn't know about his artist family background, now his flair for drama makes so much sense. Daring, bold, spirited, looks like his attitudes were unleashed like a resisting Dam breaking to relief a torrent of water when he finally decide to move on ice. Super cute.... and alot to live up to his Grandfather's legacy.

By the way, can someone confirm if his surname should be pronounced as 'Ge' as 'Guh' and not 'Gee' like how Eurosport and their never ending questionable pronunciation of foreign skater's surnames?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow love this documentary... how many skaters can claim they were highlighted as a figure skater on Chinese National TV since age 5! His Chinese is surprising good, now I know why! I didn't know about his artist family background, now his flair for drama makes so much sense. Daring, bold, spirited, looks like his attitudes were unleashed like a resisting Dam breaking to relief a torrent of water when he finally decide to move on ice. Super cute.... and alot to live up to his Grandfather's legacy.

He performed on ice at 5 but not "highlighted as a figure skater on Chinese National TV since age" as he only moved to China and became a citizen at age 9 or 10. The footage in the program is likely home video.

By the way, can someone confirm if his surname should be pronounced as 'Ge' as 'Guh' and not 'Gee' like how Eurosport and their never ending questionable pronunciation of foreign skater's surnames?

As explained in my posts and in the documentary, "Ge" is from Gobi Desert, as is "Sha". Baidu links I provided show their names in Chinese. However, once when asked Misha said "Gee", for whatever reasons of a young man.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would use Gee were I he....associations with Golly Gee, WOW are positive and unavoidable.

OTOH Goo is never positive, and in the US, Shah (Muslim ruler) might not be too popular these days either.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I would use Gee were I he....associations with Golly Gee, WOW are positive and unavoidable.

OTOH Goo is never positive, and in the US, Shah (Muslim ruler) might not be too popular these days either.

At first I was :confused:: WTH did Goo come from and have to do with the topic? Then I realized it was taken as the pronunciation of Ge. OK, in pinyin G is like a soft K like the c in "clean" and e is like the u in "Kurt". Then say it with the correct intonation. :)

eta. Shah may not be popular in the US but Mi Sha the little bear is. So is Mikibear. :)

Last edited: